Online Home Poker (10 Viewers)

Are they being too loud? Drinking all your beer?

I guess I don't see the problem here, it's online poker :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
LOL. Let's just say losses get excessively large and accelerate at certain hours and certain sharks start to feast. It's a friendly game that sometimes gets unfriendly...trying to keep it manageable and civilized :)

Some night the players play until 2-3AM, some nights they play until 5AM...trying to tell everyone to stop at 1/2AM, but doubt they would just comply...if they see the server doesn't cut off at 2AM, they WILL play longer :mad:
In that case, it sounds like you are there yourself at 2 am. Tell them that the game ends at 2:00 sharp. Then at 2:00 take the game offline. The hand will play out and the game will end.

You may be able to run a script in the API to do that automatically.

LOL. Let's just say losses get excessively large and accelerate at certain hours and certain sharks start to feast. It's a friendly game that sometimes gets unfriendly...trying to keep it manageable and civilized :)
Shit. I wish I had thought of this before I paid for @Rhodeman77's lake house.

In that case, it sounds like you are there yourself at 2 am. Tell them that the game ends at 2:00 sharp. Then at 2:00 take the game offline. The hand will play out and the game will end.

You may be able to run a script in the API to do that automatically.
I am not...I usually log off at midnight. But I see the results the next day :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let's not turn this into a discussion of why or why not a particular game should run 24/7 or not. I just asked a technical question... I rather this game ends at a certain time...u guys are free to run your servers any way you like...every game, every group, every circumstance is different...and I rather not discuss the details in public anyway

Let's not turn this into a discussion of why or why not a particular game should run 24/7 or not. I just asked a technical question..

Fair enough!

I think the best answer would be to learn how to program a script in the API to take any active games offline at a set time. Going offline is an elegant solution in that it allows any hands in play to finish, credits the player accounts, and then closes the table. Rebooting the server is inelegant, in that any active hands will be terminated in the middle of the hand. .

As stated earlier, there is no setting in the PM settings that allows you to close a table at a specified time.

Fair enough!

I think the best answer would be to learn how to program a script in the API to take any active games offline at a set time. Going offline is an elegant solution in that it allows any hands in play to finish, credits the player accounts, and then closes the table. Rebooting the server is inelegant, in that any active hands will be terminated in the middle of the hand. .

As stated earlier, there is no setting in the PM settings that allows you to close a table at a specified time.
@kk405 But you could always ask Kent to program one. He seems pretty receptive to software updates.

I was under the impression that Ken needed to prevent logins; if it's just taking the tables offline, he can do that with API calls. I'm going to help out and get a script written and show directions for how to do this.

I was under the impression that Ken needed to prevent logins; if it's just taking the tables offline, he can do that with API calls. I'm going to help out and get a script written and show directions for how to do this.
Yes, and that is the new direction the project is headed. TY Jonathan, again and again...

This was an issue in the .5/1 online game that I host. We play on PPPoker and the tables come with an optional time limit. We set ours to self-destruct after 5 hours.

Not meaning to troll, but I'm not sure why everyone goes to the trouble of setting up Mavens + AWS (or running your own server) for something that's available for free or relatively cheap with a much better user experience. E.g., PokerBros, PPPoker, Pokernow, etc.

FWIW I'm a software developer who uses AWS regularly as part of my job and am very comfortable with anything programming related.

This was an issue in the .5/1 online game that I host. We play on PPPoker and the tables come with an optional time limit. We set ours to self-destruct after 5 hours.

Not meaning to troll, but I'm not sure why everyone goes to the trouble of setting up Mavens + AWS (or running your own server) for something that's available for free or relatively cheap with a much better user experience. E.g., PokerBros, PPPoker, Pokernow, etc.

FWIW I'm a software developer who uses AWS regularly as part of my job and am very comfortable with anything programming related.
Customization & accounting & tourneys/multi-table management.

Yes, and that is the new direction the project is headed. TY Jonathan, again and again...
Yeah I guess you already got this, but the API is the way to go to shut down (or pause) the table.
https://www.briggsoft.com/docs/pmavens/Utilities.htm#apiref
pmavens.png

When I set up my private game earlier this year, I just went with what seemed to be the consensus that PM was the best option. And I was not experienced with AWS, so it was a LOT of work. But now that it's done, I love my site, and I also enjoyed learning about AWS. So my only question is why do you say that the other sites have a much better user experience? I'm truly ignorant as I have never used any of those.

Because the other platforms suck in comparison.

When I set up my private game earlier this year, I just went with what seemed to be the consensus that PM was the best option. And I was not experienced with AWS, so it was a LOT of work. But now that it's done, I love my site, and I also enjoyed learning about AWS. So my only question is why do you say that the other sites have a much better user experience? I'm truly ignorant as I have never used any of those.
First of all, congrats on getting familiar with AWS! It's great that you've learned a lot setting up your site, and sounds like it's configured just the way you like it.

What I mean by better user experience are things like better gameplay on mobile, faster graphics.

My only experience with PM was playing on my phone in Krish's big giveaway tournament some months back, and it was pretty much unusable on mobile, compared to apps like PokerBros and PPPoker.

I have played likely thousands of hours (pre 2011) on FullTilt and Pokerstars and enjoy the user interface of the mobile apps a lot more than those, too.

OK @kk405 here's how you do it.
  • Download curl.exe so that you can easily make the requests from Powershell
    • https://curl.se/windows (you want the 64-bit version)
    • Unzip the file and look for bin\curl.exe
    • Drag this file into C:\Windows so it's on your path. It should be accessible at C:\Windows\curl.exe

• Create the below script and put it on your desktop; call it shutdown-ring-games.ps1
    • You will need to set the first line in the script to your API password (this is NOT your site's password). This is the Poker Mavens screen where you set that password:

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 2.25.45 PM.png

• Start Task Scheduler and create a new task to run this script:
Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 2.28.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 2.29.52 PM.png

The command should read: powershell -File C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\shutdown-ring-games.ps1
  • Program/scipt: powershell
  • Add arguments (optional): -File C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\shutdown-ring-games.ps1

One you are done with this, you can click on the little "Run" to ensure that it works. You can also run this ps1 file directly from Powershell to debug.

Bash:
$password = "your-password-in-quotes"
$escapedPassword = [uri]::EscapeDataString("$password")
$ringGames = curl.exe -s -k "https://localhost/api?Password=$escapedPassword&JSON=Yes&Command=RingGamesList&Fields=Name,Status" | ConvertFrom-Json

if ($ringGames.Result -eq "Error") {
  Echo $ringGames.Error
  exit 1
}

$i = 0
foreach ($ringGame in $ringGames.Name) {
  if ($ringGames.Status[$i] -eq "Offline") {
    $i++
    Echo "Skipping $ringGame since it's Offline"
    Continue
  }

$i++
  Write-Host -NoNewline "Shutting down $ringGame... "
  $response = curl.exe -s -k "https://localhost/api?Password=$escapedPassword&JSON=Yes&Command=RingGamesOffline&Name=$ringGame" | ConvertFrom-Json
  $result = $response.Result
  if ($result -ne "Ok") {
    $resultError = $response.Error
    Echo "$result $resultError"
  } else {
    Echo "$result"
  }
}

Last edited:
First of all, congrats on getting familiar with AWS! It's great that you've learned a lot setting up your site, and sounds like it's configured just the way you like it.

What I mean by better user experience are things like better gameplay on mobile, faster graphics.

My only experience with PM was playing on my phone in Krish's big giveaway tournament some months back, and it was pretty much unusable on mobile, compared to apps like PokerBros and PPPoker.

I have played likely thousands of hours (pre 2011) on FullTilt and Pokerstars and enjoy the user interface of the mobile apps a lot more than those, too.
Ahhh, mobile. Yeah, PM is not awesome on mobile.

4 color deck plus full screen toggle and its at least playable
Yes it is. I have two regulars, maybe another who play on mobile. They say it's fine, but they are both under 30. My old man eyes much prefer PC. And it's fine on my 7 inch tablet too if I want to play and watch TV away from the computer.

Funny thing is, I've been playing fake Zinga poker on mobile for years, no problem. So I do know PM could make it better.

Yes it is. I have two regulars, maybe another who play on mobile. They say it's fine, but they are both under 30. My old man eyes much prefer PC. And it's fine on my 7 inch tablet too if I want to play and watch TV away from the computer.

Funny thing is, I've been playing fake Zinga poker on mobile for years, no problem. So I do know PM could make it better.
Yup; I agree; the visuals aren't great. One reason I made my own deck of cards; way easier to see on mobile.

OK @kk405 here's how you do it.
  • Download curl.exe so that you can easily make the requests from Powershell
    • https://curl.se/windows (you want the 64-bit version)
    • Unzip the file and look for bin\curl.exe
    • Drag this file into C:\Windows so it's on your path. It should be accessible at C:\Windows\curl.exe

• Create the below script and put it on your desktop; call it shutdown-ring-games.ps1
    • You will need to set the first line in the script to your API password (this is NOT your site's password). This is the Poker Mavens screen where you set that password:

View attachment 682760

• Start Task Scheduler and create a new task to run this script:
View attachment 682762

View attachment 682764

The command should read: powershell -File C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\shutdown-ring-games.ps1
  • Program/scipt: powershell
  • Add arguments (optional): -File C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\shutdown-ring-games.ps1

One you are done with this, you can click on the little "Run" to ensure that it works. You can also run this ps1 file directly from Powershell to debug.

Bash:
$password = "your-password-in-quotes"
$escapedPassword = [uri]::EscapeDataString("$password")
$ringGames = curl.exe -s -k "https://localhost/api?Password=$escapedPassword&JSON=Yes&Command=RingGamesList&Fields=Name,Status" | ConvertFrom-Json

if ($ringGames.Result -eq "Error") {
  Echo $ringGames.Error
  exit 1
}

$i = 0
foreach ($ringGame in $ringGames.Name) {
  if ($ringGames.Status[$i] -eq "Offline") {
    $i++
    Echo "Skipping $ringGame since it's Offline"
    Continue
  }

$i++
  Write-Host -NoNewline "Shutting down $ringGame... "
  $response = curl.exe -s -k "https://localhost/api?Password=$escapedPassword&JSON=Yes&Command=RingGamesOffline&Name=$ringGame" | ConvertFrom-Json
  $result = $response.Result
  if ($result -ne "Ok") {
    $resultError = $response.Error
    Echo "$result $resultError"
  } else {
    Echo "$result"
  }
}
Worked brilliantly. TY again, Jonathan.

If I set up a tournament with mixed games (NLHE, PLO) it's one game per orbit, right? It doesn't change every hand?

If I set up a tournament with mixed games (NLHE, PLO) it's one game per orbit, right? It doesn't change every hand?
According to the documentation, it's based on the number of seats at the table unless you specify a distinct number for the number of hands to play before switching. But no, it should not change every hand unless you explicitly set the value to 1.

According to the documentation, it's based on the number of seats at the table unless you specify a distinct number for the number of hands to play before switching. But no, it should not change every hand unless you explicitly set the value to 1.
Makes sense, thanks!

Btw, I enabled Callbacks on PokerMavens, directed it to my linux server running Apache and php. Then I dabbled with https://www.twilio.com/ and it was really easy to get automatic SMS messages when a tournament registration opens, tournament starts, a ring game starts, etc.

Edit: Next step is enabling the API so players can answer the SMS to register for the tournament.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom