Online Home Poker (9 Viewers)

While all of this is true - if you host at home - your Internet is the bottleneck. If it's you and 8 guys - no problem. But any connection issues are your fault.

AWS provides a free solution - PM me and I can walk you through setting it up. Iv'e gone gold on Poker mavens and have 60 members, many games running. I'm happy to add anyone interested. PM me for the details.
I am new to both Mavens and this forum, I currently have mavens set up on a server that someone is "charging" me for. I did see the "free" option but i have no idea what I need. is there any way you can point me in the right direction ?

I am new to both Mavens and this forum, I currently have mavens set up on a server that someone is "charging" me for. I did see the "free" option but i have no idea what I need. is there any way you can point me in the right direction ?

AWS has a free tier available, but at some point the meter is going to start running on you.

What are you currently being charged?

AWS has a year of free service for certain types such as t2.micro. You can use that to get yourself set up but at some point you're going to have to start paying for it.

Starting is simple... Just create your own AWS account and sign up for the free tier. Then you can provision a Windows server machine and start installing the PM software on it.

How many tables do you plan to host at the same time?

Do you plan to be there when the games are running, or do you want to be able to have people log in and play 24/7 while your personal computer can be offline?

If the answer is 2-3 games, and you will always have your computer going when Mavens is hosting games, then your home Internet is probably ok, and doesn't cost you anything extra.

Otherwise AWS free (for a year) is the option used most frequently here. I know this thread is 44 pages, but every question you might have about AWS has probably been answered here already.

If the answer is 2-3 games, and you will always have your computer going when Mavens is hosting games, then your home Internet is probably ok, and doesn't cost you anything extra.
Very true, but over the past 20 months of my PM server playing, I've lost power and or/internet twice. Having a tournament cancelled/invalidated part way through would have left lots of players pissed.

Very true, but over the past 20 months of my PM server playing, I've lost power and or/internet twice. Having a tournament cancelled/invalidated part way through would have left lots of players pissed.
True! That is why I said "probably". I also lost power/Internet partway into a game while hosting. Fortunately it was early, so everyone simply got a refund of buyins and an apology (although several of the players also lost power/Internet, so everyone was ok with that). I guess it also depends on whether you are hosting a close group of friends, or players from all over the country.

Last edited:
How many tables do you plan to host at the same time?

Do you plan to be there when the games are running, or do you want to be able to have people log in and play 24/7 while your personal computer can be offline?

Otherwise AWS free (for a year) is the option used most frequently here. I know this thread is 44 pages, but every question you might have about AWS has probably been answered here already.
right now, usually 7-14 players.. I wouldn't expect more than 50 players at 1 time in the future. It is friends and friends of friends.

There are a bunch of different plans for AWS, but I think after my free trial period it was like $140 for the year plus $3 a month data fee (which wasn't very clear up front).

WTF? I hope that isn't a "friend" charging you that! For $1800 per year, you better be getting hookers and blow included!
That is why I am asking and digging, no, not a friend. What would be the expected cost even after the "free" subscription is over ?

There are a bunch of different plans for AWS, but I think after my free trial period it was like $140 for the year plus $3 a month data fee (which wasn't very clear up front).
Thanks for the info..

That is why I am asking and digging, no, not a friend. What would be the expected cost even after the "free" subscription is over ?
Now I Just need to figure out how to get it from the server its on, to my own I guess !

@chop , it sounds like you may have hired someone to manage/host your website, and his plan probably includes some fee for website design and maintenance. In the case of Mavens, the design and maintenance is non-existant (or nearly so), so really all you are paying for is the use of the server and Internet bandwith (and he is probably using AWS and charging you a markup).

I suggest that you start by installing Mavens on your home computer and play around with it enough to get used to the setup and running of games (again, lots of tips and tricks in this thread, read the instructions several times, sign up on the Mavens Forum page, and use the Mavens tech support to answer any questions). Host one or two free or low stakes games to work out all the kinks. Let your players know that this is learning curve time, so they won't expect perfection.

Then if you think that your traffic warrants a remote host server, sign up for AWS free account. Transfer all of the setup and server files there, and reach out to some of the people here who can guide you through the process (sorry, I am not one of them, I only host from my home server). After a year then pay the $200/year, and spend the $3400 you save over 2 years on chips, a good poker table, a hot dog roller, and start hosting live!

$149 per month ?
After my free year was up, I prepaid for a t3.micro instance for 3 years. I think it came out to be like $119 a year total. If you only do a single year I think it's more like $130 to reserve an instance. On top of that there's usually like a $3 per month storage fee.

But that should really be it. If you're looking at just a single year, then all in it's about $165. And that's for a machine running 24/7

I was using cheapwindowsvps.com before shutting down to avoid 1099-K but issues. Use free CloudFront to put an SSL on the site domain registration with namecheap

Thanks for the info..

Now I Just need to figure out how to get it from the server its on, to my own I guess !
I started my free year last February, so I'm expecting to get a renewal notice any day now. From everything others have told me here a full year should be somewhere in the neighborhood af what you are paying now for a month. And you don't have to worry about it for a year while you're saving $1800. Seems like switching to AWS as soon as possible is a no-brainer to me.

After the free period my month bill is generally $17 on AWS. Playing amjust a couple of nights a week, generally one table.

@chop , it sounds like you may have hired someone to manage/host your website, and his plan probably includes some fee for website design and maintenance. In the case of Mavens, the design and maintenance is non-existant (or nearly so), so really all you are paying for is the use of the server and Internet bandwith (and he is probably using AWS and charging you a markup).

I suggest that you start by installing Mavens on your home computer and play around with it enough to get used to the setup and running of games (again, lots of tips and tricks in this thread, read the instructions several times, sign up on the Mavens Forum page, and use the Mavens tech support to answer any questions). Host one or two free or low stakes games to work out all the kinks. Let your players know that this is learning curve time, so they won't expect perfection.

Then if you think that your traffic warrants a remote host server, sign up for AWS free account. Transfer all of the setup and server files there, and reach out to some of the people here who can guide you through the process (sorry, I am not one of them, I only host from my home server). After a year then pay the $200/year, and spend the $3400 you save over 2 years on chips, a good poker table, a hot dog roller, and start hosting live!
I did "hire" someone.. I bought a domaine and the software, they set everything up using AWS EC2 and are charging me the $149per month which is suppose to be "hosting and updates".. I was unaware of AWS until I actually bought a table and chips, I did not want to wait for this person to get them in play so I took it upon myself to do It through the remote desktop. After the tables and chips were in play, I decided to "poke" around and that is when I discovered the AWS stuff. So naturally I went to Amazon and saw the "free" AWS EC2, which is exactly what he is using. I have only paid for 1 month so far and due again Feb. 1 maybe ? I'll have to look ..... So in the mean time I just want to get what ever it is I need from the server before I cancel my plan and do it myself !

I did "hire" someone.. I bought a domaine and the software, they set everything up using AWS EC2 and are charging me the $149per month which is suppose to be "hosting and updates"

If you are not comfortable with AWS than paying someone $150 to set it up originally is completely fair as a price.

Charging you monthly after that is exorbitant.

Paid $134 for a year last March when my free year was up. There are occasionally some very small monthly charges, less than $5.00 No idea how they come up with those.

If you are not comfortable with AWS than paying someone $150 to set it up originally is completely fair as a price.

Charging you monthly after that is exorbitant.
I agree with you 100% I would not have had an issue with a set up fee. But $149 a month after set is absurd

Paid $134 for a year last March when my free year was up. There are occasionally some very small monthly charges, less than $5.00 No idea how they come up with those.
Does it matter which Windows Machine ? Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Base? Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Base with Containers ? And then the Instance type ? is this selection right after that ? any help with this would be greatly appreciated !
Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 3.32.39 PM.png

You definitely don't need anything more than base. Especially because you'll be running this on a lower powered machine.

Actually, because of that, I went with Windows server 2016. But if that's not being offered anymore, then a base 2019 is fine. The instance that you want to use is t2.micro for the free tier. After a year if you want to continue using it, upgrading to a t3.micro is the way to go and you can easily swap out the machine type without having to lose anything.

You definitely don't need anything more than base. Especially because you'll be running this on a lower powered machine.

Actually, because of that, I went with Windows server 2016. But if that's not being offered anymore, then a base 2019 is fine. The instance that you want to use is t2.micro for the free tier. After a year if you want to continue using it, upgrading to a t3.micro is the way to go and you can easily swap out the machine type without having to lose anything.
Thank you. greatly appreciated

I bought this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124498319255 to use as a media player but went with Nvidia shield instead, so I'm using that as my poker mavens server which I have in my living room and is online 24/7. There are tons of mini-PCs you can use that runs Windows and is cheaper. I'm a fairly advanced user and there are hurdles you have to get past, but if you're tech savy, you can get away with no monthly/yearly fees/cost.

I bought this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124498319255 to use as a media player but went with Nvidia shield instead, so I'm using that as my poker mavens server which I have in my living room and is online 24/7. There are tons of mini-PCs you can use that runs Windows and is cheaper. I'm a fairly advanced user and there are hurdles you have to get past, but if you're tech savy, you can get away with no monthly/yearly fees/cost.
Not very tech savy, as a matter of fact I have terminated instances and started over several times, numerous videos and tutorials, step by step ... And no matter what I do, I cannot connect to the Instance once it is up and running.. I have just about given up hahaha

Not very tech savy, as a matter of fact I have terminated instances and started over several times, numerous videos and tutorials, step by step ... And no matter what I do, I cannot connect to the Instance once it is up and running.. I have just about given up hahaha
just want to get the VM so I can connect Remotely and cant even do that

just want to get the VM so I can connect Remotely and cant even do that
You've downloaded the RDP file (https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/online-home-poker.54141/post-1427306) ?

If you have a valid RDP file, then you want to check your Network Security Group to make sure that RDP is enabled (port 3389)

You've downloaded the RDP file (https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/online-home-poker.54141/post-1427306) ?

If you have a valid RDP file, then you want to check your Network Security Group to make sure that RDP is enabled (port 3389)
I just got it to connect and yes it was the RDP download that I was missing !! I found a video that showed that step. I came back here to say I got it and I see your post about the RDP, I guess either way, if I didn't find the video I would have seen your post ! Thank you very much !

I just got it to connect and yes it was the RDP download that I was missing !! I found a video that showed that step. I came back here to say I got it and I see your post about the RDP, I guess either way, if I didn't find the video I would have seen your post ! Thank you very much !
Now another 3 days i should have mavens back up and running !! haha

Now another 3 days i should have mavens back up and running !! haha
I've got some posts in this thread about how to expose Poker Mavens to the world using AWS:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/online-home-poker.54141/post-1052724
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/online-home-poker.54141/post-1053149
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/online-home-poker.54141/post-1057466

This gets a bit more complicated when you start to use https and your own domains (which I have some examples for here too). But since I figured you were starting small, the above links should help you out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom