Online Home Poker (9 Viewers)

I did go pro. I need multiple tables to run.

1585332635680.png

Anyone using Poker Bros? A guy I play with occasionally keeps pushing it (I think because he gets some bonus if he refers people.)
Anyone use pokerbros? One of my players swears by it

Haven't used any of the other software mentioned here, but have been playing the last two nights in a private group using PokerBros and have been generally impressed. Like someone mentioned, you can't join a table without chips, and in our case, that means the group admin has to approve you for chips. Once that's taken care of, it's smooth sailing. I use it on iPhone.

From the looks of this - the spyware would have to reside on the hosting server - meaning a player would have to have access to it. Not an issue for home games - but I could see the need for caution if playing in an underground game.
Pretty much means that the host would have to be the one scamming.

From that same thread:

I am the owner of Briggs Softworks and the Poker Mavens software. I'd like to know more information about this installed "file" but everyone should know this: a poker site is only as honest as the people who are running it. The software is irrelevant in that regard. The site owner is running the software on their own hardware. Even if they don't have the source code, they still have access to debuggers, memory scanners, packet sniffers, and other reverse engineering tools that they can install on their server to spy on or manipulate the hand results. This is true for every poker site in the world, from my software to PokerStars and everyone in between.

More from the same thread - the guy that wrote the hack says that he was paid to do so by someone that wanted to cheat players that were using that person's site, and the hack writer agreed to do so "because if I didn't, someone else would, and I might as well be the one making money from it". The hacker was then outraged that the person he wrote it for turned around and tried to charge $10k to others so that they could also cheat players on their own sites (go figure).

It sounds like the hack is possible for players to detect if you know where to look, and at least one of the possible vulnerabilities was patched within a few days of this coming to light. But as the developer of Poker Mavens stated above, "a poker site is only as honest as the people who are running it". This also applies to any live home game, where stories abound of marked decks and other ways of hosts scamming their guests.

Somewhere you have to trust people, while obviously keeping your eyes open to possible irregularities. And if you don't trust them, then you probably shouldn't be playing with them, whether they are hosting or you are. @CraigT78, I don't know you personally, but you seem to just want to play poker during this unusual time in history. I wouldn't have a problem playing in your game.

Last edited:
Pretty much means that the host would have to be the one scamming.

From that same thread:

I am the owner of Briggs Softworks and the Poker Mavens software. I'd like to know more information about this installed "file" but everyone should know this: a poker site is only as honest as the people who are running it. The software is irrelevant in that regard. The site owner is running the software on their own hardware. Even if they don't have the source code, they still have access to debuggers, memory scanners, packet sniffers, and other reverse engineering tools that they can install on their server to spy on or manipulate the hand results. This is true for every poker site in the world, from my software to PokerStars and everyone in between.

More from the same thread - the guy that wrote the hack says that he was paid to do so by someone that wanted to cheat players that were using that person's site, and the hack writer agreed to do so "because if I didn't, someone else would, and I might as well be the one making money from it". The hacker was then outraged that the person he wrote it for turned around and tried to charge $10k to others so that they could also cheat players on their own sites (go figure).

It sounds like the hack is possible for players to detect if you know where to look, and at least one of the possible vulnerabilities was patched within a few days of this coming to light. But as the developer of Poker Mavens stated above, "a poker site is only as honest as the people who are running it". This also applies to any live home game, where stories abound of marked decks and other ways of hosts scamming their guests.

Somewhere you have to trust people, while obviously keeping your eyes open to possible irregularities. And if you don't trust them, then you probably shouldn't be playing with them, whether they are hosting or you are. @CraigT78, I don't know you personally, but you seem to just want to play poker during this unusual time in history. I wouldn't have a problem playing in your game.
Same - I have run a few games so far and don't have any issues. I have almost 20 already signed up and it's all my regular guys just itching for some poker. I'm adding my Elk's Lodge guys, and some guys from PCF that I know and have previously played with. The developer made his patches, and I have no fear that someone in my game is skilled enough to crack the code to exploit a home game for $500.

From the looks of this - the spyware would have to reside on the hosting server - meaning a player would have to have access to it. Not an issue for home games - but I could see the need for caution if playing in an underground game.

There is a trade off. You may get some increased flexibility and different functionality with Mavens but you sacrifice a few levels of security. I am not questioning anyone's integrity but just the fact of hosting a game on a private server isn't close to the same level of game integrity as playing on Stars or another major site. I am not knocking anyone that wants to use Mavens but people should be aware.

I wouldn't advise anyone to play on Mavens for money they consider serious.

Peoples computers can get hacked. People can get access to someones PC when they are away etc.

It also can create some doubt in the minds of the players. Lets say the person hosting the server ends up doing well. Maybe much better than normal. That could create some niggling suspicion in the minds of the players. For me I don't need any of that hassle or complication.

I much prefer the rock solid security of Poker Stars. I just played my first home game on Stars with friends and it ran perfectly. I can understand maybe setting up tourney structures is complex (I dunno haven't tried it) but if it is possible to iron out the bugs I really can't recommend Poker Stars highly enough.

I tried the Pokerrrr2 app and the user interface is trash.

I also tried the PokerFace app and that was even worse than Pokerrrr2

Somewhere you have to trust people, while obviously keeping your eyes open to possible irregularities. And if you don't trust them, then you probably shouldn't be playing with them, whether they are hosting or you are.

I think I am a pretty trusting person, probably too trusting in many instances. However, the amount of cheating that has happened in the poker world over the past few years is kind of crazy.

As with any crime, we don't hear about the people that got away with it but only hear about the people that were reckless enough to get caught.

All the cheating and superuser issues we have seen over the past few years are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the overall cheating that has/is taking place.

It also can create some doubt in the minds of the players. Lets say the person hosting the server ends up doing well. Maybe much better than normal. That could create some niggling suspicion in the minds of the players. For me I don't need any of that hassle or complication.

I much prefer the rock solid security of Poker Stars. I just played my first home game on Stars with friends and it ran perfectly. I can understand maybe setting up tourney structures is complex (I dunno haven't tried it) but if it is possible to iron out the bugs I really can't recommend Poker Stars highly enough.
No different than a live game when the host runs the table, IMO.

Poker stars can't run cash - deal breaker.

I really think you have a case of monsters under the bed here. There was a possible risk - the developer patched it. I'm not worried at all about hosting a game online with this software.

Poker Mavens.

What do I need to host on Mavens? I'm not especially tech savvy, but not entirely worthless...What do I need to look out for when running a server at my home? This would be with all people I know from my normal home game. But is there anything I need to have running to protect from hacking, etc?

No different than a live game when the host runs the table, IMO.

Poker stars can't run cash - deal breaker.

I really think you have a case of monsters under the bed here. There was a possible risk - the developer patched it. I'm not worried at all about hosting a game online with this software.

Yeah I forgot US players cant play cash on PokerStars. Thats too bad.

I am not saying people shouldnt use Mavens but players and hosts need to be viligant as there is some risk more than a big online room.

Heck even the big sites have had tbeir issues over the past few years between Full Tillt, Ultimate Bet, and Absolute Poker.

I am disappointed as anyone with the amount of dishonesty and fraud we have seen.

What do I need to host on Mavens? I'm not especially tech savvy, but not entirely worthless...What do I need to look out for when running a server at my home? This would be with all people I know from my normal home game. But is there anything I need to have running to protect from hacking, etc?
On any computer, you should be running a virus scanner and firewall software. You’ll need to allow the PM software to connect to the Internet through the firewall for both incoming and outgoing traffic (may already be permitted, depending on how you’ve configured your software). Set up passwords for the site you set up, and for each table to add more security. Disable remote administration to prevent anyone making changes remotely. Run scans for keystroke logging malware.

If you have a router (cable, dsl, etc.), then you’ll probably have to configure the router to do port forwarding. That simply directs incoming traffic from the outside network (Internet side) router IP address and TCP address to a specific computer on the inside (home) network of your router. Google instructions for your particular router, or ask your teenager. Takes about 3 minutes if you’re knowledgeable.

FYI if you have the tech know how, you can play home games on PokerStars on a tablet or phone using a VNC. Essentially remote into your desktop. It ain’t glamorous but it works.

B8C1BD40-8706-415C-A7A6-28FAAE97FE47.jpeg

Been playing with @krafticus et al on my phone using pokerrrrr2. I don't have an ipad, so have been playing
with BlueStacks (android emulator) on my PC and using pokerrrr2 that way. The pokerrr2 screen is bigger , but not full screen.
You have to configure some BlueStacks controls for swiping (a bit of a pain at first) but it seems to work ok for NLHE. You can double click to check andwith the mouse use the betting icon with the mouse.
I was unable to choose PLO from the list of 3 games because scrolling my mouse even the slightest (I configured mouse to move 1 line) skips over PLO (it's the middle one and only switches between NLHE and OFC. I'll keep working

Tried a cash game last night and it seems there's no way to input into the game's chat box.
This may be a dead end.

Had our first quarantine tournament last night using pokerrrrr. I couldn't believe some of the hands; there's definitely something fishy. Overall it was enjoyable, with caveats:
  • I agree with @Lemonzest that the interface is trash. Can't even do landscape mode, so I had to hold my tablet the whole time.
  • I question the integrity of the hands. Maybe I was just looking for it, but other players noticed it too.
  • It was very easy to setup and go.
  • No connection problems with 9 players. But the app would get messed up if you accidentally hit the back button.
  • I liked how they don't handle the money.
  • I hate how you can't play on your computer. It required everyone to have 2 devices so we could be on Zoom at the same time.
  • I hate it's gesture-based. Just show me my cards and let me touch a button for my actions. Fucking flinging is lame.
So what else is there? Mavens?

Had our first quarantine tournament last night using pokerrrrr. I couldn't believe some of the hands; there's definitely something fishy. Overall it was enjoyable, with caveats:
  • I agree with @Lemonzest that the interface is trash. Can't even do landscape mode, so I had to hold my tablet the whole time.
  • I question the integrity of the hands. Maybe I was just looking for it, but other players noticed it too.
  • It was very easy to setup and go.
  • No connection problems with 9 players. But the app would get messed up if you accidentally hit the back button.
  • I liked how they don't handle the money.
  • I hate how you can't play on your computer. It required everyone to have 2 devices so we could be on Zoom at the same time.
  • I hate it's gesture-based. Just show me my cards and let me touch a button for my actions. Fucking flinging is lame.
So what else is there? Mavens?

You can turn on auto peek so you don’t have to manually do that, it makes it much more enjoyable.

I think the claims of outrageous hands are overblown. Consider how many more hands you’re planing versus live, you’re just gonna see more big hands because you’re seeing way more hands.

No landscape is super dumb.

But I think overall the game management and setup make up enough for the shortfalls.

You can turn on auto peek so you don’t have to manually do that, it makes it much more enjoyable.

I think the claims of outrageous hands are overblown. Consider how many more hands you’re planing versus live, you’re just gonna see more big hands because you’re seeing way more hands.

No landscape is super dumb.

But I think overall the game management and setup make up enough for the shortfalls.

Yes, so far it's not enough to send me away from it. I think if they fixed some of the interface problems (like landscape), then I wouldn't bitch as much. I'll try auto-peek next time. I had typed out my ridiculous hands and then realized that haters are going to hate and there's no point. But I just have to say - the laws of chance really seemed to go out the windows. And, yes, there were slightly more hands being played in the same amount of time; but even with that caveat, it was enough for me to take notice.

Yes, so far it's not enough to send me away from it. I think if they fixed some of the interface problems (like landscape), then I wouldn't bitch as much. I'll try auto-peek next time. I had typed out my ridiculous hands and then realized that haters are going to hate and there's no point. But I just have to say - the laws of chance really seemed to go out the windows. And, yes, there were slightly more hands being played in the same amount of time; but even with that caveat, it was enough for me to take notice.

I’ve only been playing Big O so every hand is crazy no matter what :eek:

How do you guys handle absentee players on Pokerstars Home Games? We had a dead player on a tournament last night (a user created am account, registered, PS locked it, so they created another account).

The game I played last night reset the game after an hour of play, which in my opinion is ridiculous. The concern was that one table would get the free money from the dead player.

Thanks
Grant

How do you guys handle absentee players on Pokerstars Home Games? We had a dead player on a tournament last night (a user created am account, registered, PS locked it, so they created another account).

The game I played last night reset the game after an hour of play, which in my opinion is ridiculous. The concern was that one table would get the free money from the dead player.

Thanks
Grant

P* security doesnt play around. If this person is essentially multi accounting they will likely be banned.

I dont have any solution for missing players.

What I did get reminded of is online poker is a cruel mistress and brings out my inner degen.

Burned through my first deposit in a few days playing HU cash.

Tried a cash game last night and it seems there's no way to input into the game's chat box.
This may be a dead end.

I use Memu for emulation with Pokerrr 2 and the swipe controls when using a mouse or touch screen laptop are perfect. Definitely able to click PLO too.

The only error I have found is when attempting to write in the chat, whatever you type doesn't show up in the box but when you submit whatever you wrote it does appear in the chat. So you can't see what you type until you submit it.

Pokerrrr2 servers seem to be failing with the heavy load. Many players couldn’t connect tonight, and if you were, and switched apps, you got hosed. Saturday night may not be great nights to play now.

Pokerrrr2 servers seem to be failing with the heavy load. Many players couldn’t connect tonight, and if you were, and switched apps, you got hosed. Saturday night may not be great nights to play now.
Happened exactly that way for us too in Friday night. Some guys couldn't even get past the loading screen.

Poker Mavens is where it's at. I've run three to four cash tables on Friday and Saturday night. Great times with a zoom video meeting!

I tried getting Mavens setup but was completely lost. I'm decent at computers too but I've never understood setting up a network, etc.

Poker Mavens is where it's at. I've run three to four cash tables on Friday and Saturday night. Great times with a zoom video meeting!
Agree 100%. I enjoyed today's game far more than the pokerrrr2 games . Zoom also made the whole thing more enjoyable

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom