Giveaway One Dal Negro Treviso Red "Freedom" Poker/Jumbo Deck (CONUS) (1 Viewer)

TheOffalo

Full House
Tourney Director
Reaction score
This community has been really awesome to myself and other newcomers. I don't have much, but I figure even a small something can still brighten someone's day. So I'm giving away a deck of Dal Negro Treviso 100% plastic playing cards (poker-size/jumbo-index) in red. I believe the design is called "Freedom" or "Statue of Liberty"...

dalnegrofreedom.png

These cards aren't in cellophone but they've never been used and are in new condition. I also printed/laminated a tuckbox to store the deck.

dalnegrotuckbox.png

To enter to win this deck, please comment with your favorite science fiction/fantasy book, TV show, or movie that involves time travel, time loops, parallel worlds, multiverses, or similar themes. If those types of stories don't interest you, just your favorite science fiction/fantasy work of any kind. Please include a short, non-spoilery description of the work, something that'd entice me (and others) to check it out.

No worries if someone else already mentioned your pick; post it anyway and it'll still count as an entry! This is a fact-finding mission, so I'm not going to pick my "favorite" since I'll (hopefully) not have heard of the work before. Deadline to enter is Sunday, December 19th, at 9 PM Pacific.

I'll use a random number generator to pick the winner by post # after compiling a list of entrants, and I'm keeping it CONUS-only on my first giveaway to make it as easy for myself as possible, since I'll be busy with work, kids, and prepping for the holidays. I will try my best to ship the deck out to the winner next week.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has ever one a giveaway by being first, but I'll start it off anyways! Japanese anime called Stein's Gate. If you're into time travel and time paradoxes, HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Short summary - mad scientist accidentally creates time travel using a microwave in his friends house. This allows him to send text messages/emails across time that change the outcome of things happening in his current time. This is a very base level description but, it gets crazy.

Thanks for the giveaway!

Not sure if anyone has ever one a giveaway by being first, but I'll start it off anyways! Japanese anime called Stein's Gate. If you're into time travel and time paradoxes, HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Short summary - mad scientist accidentally creates time travel using a microwave in his friends house. This allows him to send text messages/emails across time that change the outcome of things happening in his current time. This is a very base level description but, it gets crazy.

Thanks for the giveaway!
Perfect! I haven't heard of this, so this kind of thing is exactly what I'm looking for. Is it on any of the popular streaming services?

And, hey, if a hot tub can be a time machine, why not a microwave. At least that involves more tech. :LOL: :laugh:

On being first, I've seen how quickly things go when offered in giveaways or even for sale, so I wanted to make sure to give more people a chance to enter (and to get more recommendations). But I thank you for being first and may the RNG be in your favor! :)

Perfect! I haven't heard of this, so this kind of thing is exactly what I'm looking for. Is it on any of the popular streaming services?

And, hey, if a hot tub can be a time machine, why not a microwave. At least that involves more tech. :LOL: :laugh:

On being first, I've seen how quickly things go when offered in giveaways or even for sale, so I wanted to make sure to give more people a chance to enter (and to get more recommendations). But I thank you for being first and may the RNG be in your favor! :)
Its on Hulu! And also Apple TV and also uhhh this anime specific site called funimation

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Not only does it cover the sci-fi genre, it also hits on your time-paradox requirement quite nicely (The Heart of Gold). Funnily enough, the story is presented in a variety of different medium (books, plays, radio shows, tv shows, movies, etc)- all of which are wildly inconsistent from another (as purposefully done by the author) so the entire story itself is somewhat contained in a bizarre multiverse, as it were.

Some of the best writing this side of Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha.

Don't Panic. You'll love it.

(and thanks for a cool giveaway!)

Thanks for the giveaway!
I've been meaning to pick up Stein's Gate. I'll definitely check it out. I had no idea it involved time travel. Looks very cool.

Have you seen this? The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

I've been meaning to pick up Stein's Gate. I'll definitely check it out. I had no idea it involved time travel. Looks very cool.

Have you seen this? The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
This thread has inspired me to re watch it so now I'm watching Steins Gate as I type this hahaha.

OMG no I haven't, but now I'll watch that tomorrow too LOL thank you!!!

My all-time favorite TV series is LOST, and without giving too much away I’ll just say that it has a lot of sci-fi elements to its story. It’s seasons are like layers of an onion and a lot of the really crazy stuff doesn’t start being unveiled until the back half, but hoo boy it’s worth the whole journey to get there, even if you’re only really after the sci-fi stuff.

The series finale is pretty divisive, but I’m firmly among those who think it, and the series on the whole, is really great and worth at least one watch!

Last edited:
This is awesome, everyone! Keep it up! And I'm really glad people are naming a range of things from anime to blockbuster movies to classic books and in between!

I modified the selection method slightly: since I want to encourage discussion too, it wouldn't be fair to select based on post #, so I'll just compile a list of entrants and assign numbers to everyone and then run the RNG.

:tup: Was just watching Matrix Reloaded and it reminded me that Carrie-Anne Moss was in Christopher Nolan's Memento, which isn't necessarily sci-fi but has that disjointed time element that is similar to time travel... :)

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Not only does it cover the sci-fi genre, it also hits on your time-paradox requirement quite nicely (The Heart of Gold). Funnily enough, the story is presented in a variety of different medium (books, plays, radio shows, tv shows, movies, etc)- all of which are wildly inconsistent from another (as purposefully done by the author) so the entire story itself is somewhat contained in a bizarre multiverse, as it were.

Some of the best writing this side of Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha.

Don't Panic. You'll love it.

(and thanks for a cool giveaway!)
I've only read the first book and loved it. I need to read the sequels!
Matrix Trilogy is my Favorite Movie series, I lost count how many times i had re-watch them
As mentioned above, just started rewatching Reloaded after rewatching the first one recently. Need to finish Revolution before the new one next week!
There used to be a TV Series called “Sliders” in which the protagonists would go from one reality to another. Each one had some element different from our reality which colored all of society.
Love Sliders! And it had Salah/Gimli (John Rhys-Davies) in it! :)
My all-time favorite TV series is LOST, and without giving too much away I’ll just say that it has a lot of sci-fi elements to its story. It’s seasons are like layers of an onion and a lot of the really crazy stuff doesn’t start being unveiled until the back/half, but hoo boy it’s worth the whole journey to get there, even if you’re only really after the sci-fi stuff.

The series finale is pretty divisive, but I’m firmly among those who think it, and the series on the whole, is really great and worth at least one watch!
I'm with you on Lost! See you in another life, brother! (I assume you watched Alcatraz?)

I'm trying hard not to list the works I'm into (yet) because I want people to post and not be discouraged if they see something already mentioned, by myself or anyone else, but can't help it. I totally won't mind if this becomes a discussion about cool books/shows/movies/etc. as well as just a giveaway thread. :)

There’s a pretty cool Spanish movie that you may not have heard of called “Timecrimes” which comes to mind. It’s about a guy who gets stuck in a causal loop and has to stop his other selves from continuing to exist. I remember watching it on Netflix a while ago and really enjoying it.

I’d recommend Magician:Apprentice and Magician:Master by Raymond Feist. They are actually the first two books in a pretty extensive series (that has been finished, so no worries about waiting for the next book to come out). Starts out as pretty straightforward (but good) fantasy/sci if, but adds in some really interesting characters/concepts in later books.

From Wikipedia about Magician:
"To the forest on the shore of the Kingdom of the Isles, the orphan called Pug came to study with the Master Magician Kulgan. But though his courage won him a place at Court and the heart of a lovely Princess, he was ill at ease with the normal methods of magic. Yet Pug's strange well of power would one day change forever the fates of two worlds. For the dark beings from another world had opened a rift in the fabric of space-time to begin again the age-old battle between the forces of Order and Chaos."

Community! There is an episode where they roll dice to determine and outcome. The show the parellel timelines based on which number is rolled. They also joke about time travel throughout the show. Thanks for the giveaway!

Dark on Neftlix. If you like Sci-Fi time travel, this the show for you!

It's a German show with dubbed English. A boy in small-town disappears and the family and a detective try to solve the mystery. There are some pretty good twists in this one as well.

Planet of the Apes (the original)

Quick plot summary:

Astronauts leave earth in the 1970s and land on an inhabitable planet two thousand years later only to discover it is controlled by talking monkeys. Tons of social commentary about religion, racism, cruelty to animals, war, etc., plus the greatest twist ending ever.

I'm with you on Lost! See you in another life, brother! (I assume you watched Alcatraz?)
I did watch Alcatraz as it was airing! It seemed like it had a lot of neat potential that never got realized, not unlike Flash/Forward which I *really* was loving. I was so bummed when it didn't get picked up for a second season, especially after the major cliffhanger its first season ended on.

I have read all of the Altered Carbon books several times. It is an interesting take on immortality and interstellar travel and war.

Haven't watched the Netflix series yet. But the books were great

IN and thank you.

You’ve probably already seen it, but my recommendation is 12 Monkeys with Brad Pitt. Classic!

PS. Big fan of this genre in general. I remember a 1989 movie Millenium that first got me into it. It’s probably hard to watch a movie from that generation now haha. Graphics and all. But I remember I like it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom