Oiling Chips Done Right (5 Viewers)

Is this = food grade mineral oil?
Definitely. Since It's sold as a laxative. And that's where I find it in my grocery store - in the drug aisle. I starting using it years ago to oil my wooden cutting boards. So needs to be food safe.

BTW it's also dirt cheap. Less than $2 for a 12-16 oz bottle.

Definitely. Since It's sold as a laxative. And that's where I find it in my grocery store - in the drug aisle. I starting using it years ago to oil my wooden cutting boards. So needs to be food safe.
Cool, yep. I've got some food grade mineral oil that I use for some woodworking projects, just wanted to be sure it was the same thing before I crossed it off the list.

You probably need to drink at least 1-2 tablespoons of the stuff to get a short term laxative effect. Since you will only be using a fraction of that much for your chips, you can't possibly accidentally ingest enough from licking your fingers. Just don't mix it up with your liquor.

Got about 4 racks done. Still need to wipe off the excess on the top rack, as these are definitely over-oiled at this point. But they started off pretty thirsty (bottom rack).

Chips.jpeg

I tried swipe and wipe method and they looked good...but now a couple weeks later they look like the oil faded away already

Attachments

• oil pic.jpg
    oil pic.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 172
I tried swipe and wipe method and they looked good...but now a couple weeks later they look like the oil faded away already
Did you oil them all at the same time? Why does the barrel on the right look so much worse than the other two?

Did you oil them all at the same time? Why does the barrel on the right look so much worse than the other two?
thats the before and after of when I oiled the one and only time. I did them all at same time...sorry picture is confusing/misleading....picture was to show oil worked well...but now seems to be fading

I have cleaned and oiled well over 1000 Royal china clay chips. On the pink chips that I added at a later time, I kind of went quick on the whole process, and I noticed that the white chalkiness came back on them. I think that in order to make this NOT happen, you need to give them a good soak in warm soapy water, wipe them down, and then give them a good oiling. Heavier than you would do with clay chips. When I didn't try to cut corners, the chalkiness didn't come back.

Luckily the Royals were my guinea pig; I used waaay too much oil, but they actually soaked them up! I checked a few weeks back on them b/c they needed a good fondling to remind them that they're still loved (even among the paulsons) and their colors were still rich and poppin'.

Findings from my recent oiling study, I tried out a few different oiling techniques (thanks to the pioneers @Stibnite, @Trihonda, @Taghkanic, @Poker Zombie). Prob don’t have the technique down right, but think I’ll be sticking with oil and water for now to max out effort and effectiveness.

Photos are taken a week after oiling.

C0F4D4B9-7E24-4D88-8E02-5835FC3678AA.jpeg

Findings from my recent oiling study, I tried out a few different oiling techniques (thanks to the pioneers @Stibnite, @Trihonda, @Taghkanic, @Poker Zombie). Prob don’t have the technique down right, but think I’ll be sticking with oil and water for now to max out effort and effectiveness.

Photos are taken a week after oiling.

View attachment 704424
Pretty much what I’ve found over the years after doing it with thousands of chips. I primarily do oil and water, unless the chips are extra special. Then I go arthritis mode and do compression.

Pretty sure most (all?) current versions of Dawn contain Oxi, which will definitely attack most chip dyes -- and likely none-too-good for ASM/CPC chip material, either -- especially with long soak times.

Didn't use to be that way. We have used Dawn at work for years to cleanse really oily or filthy, matted dog hair during dog baths. But it's almost impossible to find a version these days without Oxi, which we prefer to use since Oxi is an eye irritant.
Pretty sure most (all?) current versions of Dawn contain Oxi, which will definitely attack most chip dyes -- and likely none-too-good for ASM/CPC chip material, either -- especially with long soak times.

Didn't use to be that way. We have used Dawn at work for years to cleanse really oily or filthy, matted dog hair during dog baths. But it's almost impossible to find a version these days without Oxi, which we prefer to use since Oxi is an eye irritant.
Not quite sure what you mean by ‘oxi’, that’s not a chemical name. If you mean an active oxygen species, such as bleach, there isn’t a significant source of it in the product to affect anything. It’s not the reason for irritating eyes in any case (I’m a surfactants expert, could go to a lot of detail here but I won’t). Most of dawn ingredients would bring a tear to the eye (pardon the pun). Don’t use it as shampoo unless some poor creatures got caught in an oil slick.

I've recently oiled a load of RHCs which went through an ultrasonic before I got them. They looked great post oiling and the majority still do.

The blue chips seem to fade pretty quickly though, it's only been a week and I went for "compression oiling" as it's only a set of 500. They've been stored in Warneke boxes since I did it, I vaguely remember reading that blue chips can be thirsty.

First 2 stacks not oiled, last 3 stacks post oiling...

1633529507827.png

Then today when I got them out to play with them instead of working, I know the lighting is very different between pics but hopefully you get the idea.

1633529572946.png

I don't want to over oil them, do I just need to give them a couple of goes, or oil the racks and store them in there?

Cheers,
JP

I don't want to over oil them, do I just need to give them a couple of goes, or oil the racks and store them in there?

Maybe just use the microfiber you had used before, don't add any more oil or anything, and just lightly roll the edges real quick. I would see how that goes before dousing them again.

Thanks, I figured that might be the answer. Just wondered if it's something I'll have to do every game. Not a disaster, but I'm surprised at the difference between those and the others.

I wonder if the Werneke boxes sucked some of the oil back out. I've had mine THCs and RHCs oiled and stored for over a year, and they still look fresh; stored in Matsui racks.

I wonder if the Werneke boxes sucked some of the oil back out. I've had mine THCs and RHCs oiled and stored for over a year, and they still look fresh; stored in Matsui racks.
That's been my experience. I noticed it the first time I oiled some chips and confirmed with testing 2 separate barrels - one stored in a box and one stored in a Paulson rack. The one in the box was significantly "drier" a week later.

I've since used nothing but Matsui racks for any chips stored long term.

Mystery solved then! Thanks guys :tup: I'll have to make sure I oil Alec's box once it arrives!
Oooooooh a wooden box! Exciting! Can't wait to see pics of it here (hint hint). I would expect the box to also draw out the oils, but I would also ask Alec about oiling it; mineral oil on wood seems .... "slick" to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom