Oiling Chips Done Right (11 Viewers)

This may have been covered somewhere in the 26 pages and maybe I missed it, but I saw on a hobbyphilic video that mineral oil, unlike other oils, remains "liquid". Don't know if he is right or wrong about same but my question is whether anyone who has cleaned, oiled, and dried their chips "properly" subsequently noted any oil transfer onto their felt? Thanks for the information.
Funny this thread should be bumped - I'm oiling an add-on to a current set right now!

No oil transfer to the felt ever- and I do not "let them air out". I just oil and rack.

It might be prudent to place some oiled chips on a paper towel when you first start out. Many people use too much oil to start. Once you know you are using the right amount (the paper towel is clean) you can forgo the drying time and do not need to worry about your felt.

This may have been covered somewhere in the 26 pages and maybe I missed it, but I saw on a hobbyphilic video that mineral oil, unlike other oils, remains "liquid". Don't know if he is right or wrong about same but my question is whether anyone who has cleaned, oiled, and dried their chips "properly" subsequently noted any oil transfer onto their felt? Thanks for the information.
If you let it properly oxidize in the air, there won't be any transfer.

Just finished oiling my Jack Cinci set from TCR BF sale and while the red $5 chips look right oiled, I re-cleaned and then compression oiled the "clean" white $1 chips and they still feel chalky and "brittle". Should I consider doing another round of oil on them?

Last edited:
Storage question: if chips are stored in a versa 500 case instead of the plastic racks will the versa case materials draw the oil out of them more/faster/less? Anyone have experience with same? Thanks

I don't think anyone stores their chips in the case with out the racks. Storing them in the cardboard warneke boxes will result in the edges becoming dry again more quickly than in the rack.

I don't think anyone stores their chips in the case with out the racks. Storing them in the cardboard warneke boxes will result in the edges becoming dry again more quickly than in the rack.
Kind of figured that. Don’t think i am going to rip out their felt interior and put in plastic. Looks like my nice but non portable chip case is about to get some upgraded tenants

Storage question: if chips are stored in a versa 500 case instead of the plastic racks will the versa case materials draw the oil out of them more/faster/less? Anyone have experience with same? Thanks
He did say versa, which is one of those traditional cases designed for poker chips (as opposed to handguns or camera equipment or poker chips.)
I use traditional cases exclusively, so it’s tough to say, without having something to compare it to. And I don’t oil many of my chips. But I did recently open a case of chips that had been oiled, and now they look bone dry. So I’ll go out on a limb and say yes. And I guess it makes sense that if anything is going to wick oil out of chips, cloth will do it more than plastic.
But they’ll all dry out eventually.

Yeah, versas are just a step up from the normal crappy aluminum. Very secure to transport though. Similar cloth/felt type interior. They do have a 1000 chip carry case that uses the rack so I might look into that for storage.

Attachments

• 7DECEA48-13E5-48BB-8CF8-A1A9C1464F3E.jpeg
    7DECEA48-13E5-48BB-8CF8-A1A9C1464F3E.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 115
Is it okay to have excess oil on the inlay for RHC while they are drying/absorbing? They are not the true inlay shaped ones, but like HSI and Jacks. (Par-a-dice chips) @Rieguy

Last edited:
Is it okay to have excess oil on the inlay for RHC while they are drying/absorbing? They are not the true inlay shaped ones, but like HSI and Jacks. (Par-a-dice chips) @Rieguy
How much excess? If we're talking just a small amount as a result of you compression spinning the chip in your fingers, then I don't see it being a problem. More than that... I suppose it's still probably not an issue, but there's always the possibility that the oil could penetrate underneath the inlay.

Personally, after I compression oil the chip by spinning it in my fingers, I lay it down on the paper towel and then I go back over just the faces with my microfiber cloth just to get any excess that might have gotten on the inlay. But that's just me... I don't think it's necessary for most people.

H
How much excess? If we're talking just a small amount as a result of you compression spinning the chip in your fingers, then I don't see it being a problem. More than that... I suppose it's still probably not an issue, but there's always the possibility that the oil could penetrate underneath the inlay.

Personally, after I compression oil the chip by spinning it in my fingers, I lay it down on the paper towel and then I go back over just the faces with my microfiber cloth just to get any excess that might have gotten on the inlay. But that's just me... I don't think it's necessary for most people.
Hannover really been a concern on RHC chips, paulson has done a much better job o. Sealing the edges of the Inlay, typically you can let those puppies soak for hours if you want and never get any water under the inlay/ let's be honest quality pressed sticker. With these guys obviously don't go crazy with oil but really you are not going to hurt anything, we still go out of our way to try and prevent any oil on the inlays... but it's OK if some gets on them, it's not going under the inlay for the most part. Recently saw a picture of someone oiling Ysabel $5s and one chip had a pool of oil sitting on the inlay while kn the drying towel...made me cringe but I'm sure it Came off just fine, again it's very hard to get oil/water under the newer chips.

Now older textured inlay... true inlays (a clear layer of plastic typically over a paper inlay inside) rather THC/RHC these are easily damaged due to excessive soaking or oiling. We have had some old school chips that we soak for under a minute and water gets under them, they usually dry out fairly quickly and then we know how cautious we need to be when oiling these (typically hold the thumb in the center, run the oil rag carefully around and do not let oil go past the center of the hats, very small amount of oil in your rag on these or its going to run and under the inlay is the first place it goes!

H

Hannover really been a concern on RHC chips, paulson has done a much better job o. Sealing the edges of the Inlay, typically you can let those puppies soak for hours if you want and never get any water under the inlay/ let's be honest quality pressed sticker. With these guys obviously don't go crazy with oil but really you are not going to hurt anything, we still go out of our way to try and prevent any oil on the inlays... but it's OK if some gets on them, it's not going under the inlay for the most part. Recently saw a picture of someone oiling Ysabel $5s and one chip had a pool of oil sitting on the inlay while kn the drying towel...made me cringe but I'm sure it Came off just fine, again it's very hard to get oil/water under the newer chips.

Now older textured inlay... true inlays (a clear layer of plastic typically over a paper inlay inside) rather THC/RHC these are easily damaged due to excessive soaking or oiling. We have had some old school chips that we soak for under a minute and water gets under them, they usually dry out fairly quickly and then we know how cautious we need to be when oiling these (typically hold the thumb in the center, run the oil rag carefully around and do not let oil go past the center of the hats, very small amount of oil in your rag on these or its going to run and under the inlay is the first place it goes!
Yeah, if they're newer chips that have a circular plastic pressed inlay without a shape, I would think that they would be sealed a lot tighter. But I guess my reason for wiping them off is because I never know how old or how broken down that seal might be.

Consider the murder process. There have been RHCs where I have struggled, and cursed, and gotten the jaws of life out just to get those freaking inlays off. And then another RHC chip from the exact same vintage in the exact same condition just has it pop right off.

Ben and Jon covered everything well above. I do personally take a different dry microfiber and dab the inlay to get off any real excess oil. It might not be necessary but I'm (probably overly) cautious with chip maintenance if anything could mess with condition. If they're dead mint and chalky, you may not even want to oil them, although that's a personal preference thing.

Ben and Jon covered everything well above. I do personally take a different dry microfiber and dab the inlay to get off any real excess oil. It might not be necessary but I'm (probably overly) cautious with chip maintenance if anything could mess with condition. If they're dead mint and chalky, you may not even want to oil them, although that's a personal preference thing.
I kind of don’t even understand the question. Why would you want excess oil on your inlays? Wipe it off!!

I kind of don’t even understand the question. Why would you want excess oil on your inlays? Wipe it off!!
Yeah, it won't evaporate. When you place the chips on the paper towels to "dry", that face-up side would have sitting oil on it until it's flipped, so maybe that's the concern? Eventually it will be flipped and perhaps the paper towel would then wick it away? But, I'm in agreement, if there's excess on the face, wipe it off.

H

I hope this isn't off-topic. You gotta clean before you can oil, right?

Anyway Ben, I know you have a lot of experience cleaning chips. Is there ever any issue with leaving the chips themselves soaking too long? I usually soak in hot water and Dawn, but on some dirtier ones (all Paulson THC) I'm considering using Oxy-clean too. I'm not worried about the inlays as all will be milled or murdered after being cleaned. I just want to be sure the clay chips themselves wouldn't be damaged by a long soak in warm Dawn water which I have done before when getting distracted after dropping them in for their bath.

As far as Oxy-clean, I would not want to leave them in that for too long, for sure. Is there a time limit that you would use for an Oxy-clean soak?

Thanks!

I hope this isn't off-topic. You gotta clean before you can oil, right?

Anyway Ben, I know you have a lot of experience cleaning chips. Is there ever any issue with leaving the chips themselves soaking too long? I usually soak in hot water and Dawn, but on some dirtier ones (all Paulson THC) I'm considering using Oxy-clean too. I'm not worried about the inlays as all will be milled or murdered after being cleaned. I just want to be sure the clay chips themselves wouldn't be damaged by a long soak in warm Dawn water which I have done before when getting distracted after dropping them in for their bath.

As far as Oxy-clean, I would not want to leave them in that for too long, for sure. Is there a time limit that you would use for an Oxy-clean soak?

Thanks!
It probably depends on the concentration of oxy, but you have to be very careful with color fading, when soaking in Ocyclean. I’ll only use it for white chips
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cleaning-colored-chips-with-hot-stamps-oxyclean-bad.74709/

It probably depends on the concentration of oxy, but you have to be very careful with color fading, when soaking in Ocyclean. I’ll only use it for white chips
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cleaning-colored-chips-with-hot-stamps-oxyclean-bad.74709/
Thanks! These are off-white chips with dark blue edge spots and they have a ton of color transfer on them. The regular Dawn soak is only getting a small amount of the color transfer off. It's not the end of the world, but I would like to try and get them a little cleaner.

I just bough 50 warneke boxes and stored all of my chips in there. Is this now a problem?!? shit lol...

Yeah I was really taking about around the inlay as suppose to on the inlay. Of course some of it will get on the inlay as oil can be messy. I just wanted to get full coverage of the clay portion. It seems like it only took a few hours for most of the oil to absorb and the inlays are fine. I didn't do at least 24 hours. I tested another RHC with "moderate" oil on it and over night the inlay is fine and inlay is normal. I guess you would have to use a ridiculous amount of oil and time to mess up these inlays. I guess it only really does apply to the older inlays with plastic and paper.

Last edited:
Yeah I was really taking about around the inlay as suppose to on the inlay. Of course some of it will get on the inlay was oil can be messy. I just wanted to get full coverage of the clay portion. It seems like it only took a few hours for most of the oil to absorb and the inlays are fine. I didn't do at least 24 hours. I tested another RHC with "moderate" oil on it and over night the inlay is fine and inlay is normal. I guess you would have to use a ridiculous amount of oil and time to mess up these inlays. I guess it only really does apply to the older inlays with plastic and paper.
It's not much of an issue with newer inlaid chips since everything is vinyl.
PCAs you can oil them with a rag used to dry oiled chips and it gets oil under the inlay lol

Needed some Zen after a long day at work yesterday, spent the evening getting to know some new chippies. :)

20220316_231501.jpg

Compression oiling FTW! I've oiled a bunch of CPCs over the years, but I think these racks provided the most dramatic post-oil change I've encountered to date. Comparable to black and blurple, I was really surprised considering that it's a fairly light color. Butterscotch is such an underused color!!

20220315_214631.jpg

I won't profess to know everything about anything or anything about everything; but what I do know is I often research and test subject matter to the fullest extent possible to find the best results.

Using a combination of advices from numerous poker minds, I set myself up to test oiling of chips in a variety of ways--from wipe n dry, to dip n drip and oil and water dont mix except with chip tricks. Yada yada.

Well, with a number of mixed results, I discovered that most methods left the chips looking great--at first--then left them lacking thereafter (usually within 1-5 days). A number of factors playing--oil type, drying method, application method, etc.

Well, after much testing using just basic Milano China Clays (which aren't supposed to take oil as well as CPC or Paulsons), I believe I have discovered the best way to oil those chips and keep them that way afterward. I named this method: Compression Oiling. A mix of common methods with a touch of my own strategical experimentation and creativity.

Hopefully my step by step tutorial on Compression Oiling will help others who keep having trouble with their oiling, and it seeming like a waste of time. Yes, your oil and chips will dry out--unless you follow the instructions I'm about to present.

Without further delay, let's jump right in!

First, I am assuming by this point you have already removed the factory dust by wiping off your chips with warm water and a little Dawn dishwashing liquid--I used the pink hand lotion version as it helped tone down the clay smell also.

Here is the difference between factory shipped dust-covered chips next to unoiled cleaned chips with 2 oiled chips hiding within.
View attachment 53908

Bear in mind, most of the tests I conducted for oiling made the chips shine for about a day and then they returned to the "clean" matte color on the right. That suggests that most people who oil all their chips collectively probably won't notice the dullness a day later as the chips will still look clean compared to factory dust-covered. Be not deceived. Unless done right, the oil is probably gone a couple days later (as all my tests proved)--you just can't tell without a comparison. There is a significant difference beyond clean chips and clean oiled chips retaining their sheen.

Here is an example of clean chips next to oiled chips done right and still holding their shine nearly a week later and showing no signs of fading.
View attachment 53909

So, what do you need to get started after cleaning your chips?

You need a microfiber cloth, pure mineral oil (fragrance free), and chips! A flat surface covered with plain colorless paper towels is essential.
View attachment 53910

Some will agrue here and say to use a shoe polish applicator or water/oil dip, etc. for speed and ease. To each their own. I tried every method I could find and none of them worked better than what I am going to share, so more on that further in. Meanwhile, I will point out that if you want something done right the first time, and not having to do it over, then effort and time is required to make it so.

A wise man once told me, "Adam, how come there is never enough time to first do something right, but there is always enough time to do it over?"

Let's do this right, folks!

First thing I am going to tell you is the oil does not hurt your adhesive stickers on Milanos. I can't speak for other chip stickers or inlays yet (I'd be cautious if the sticker is paper made), but to test, I left a Milano chip submerged in oil for a week and there is no discoloration of the plastic label or loosening of its adhesive seal. Myth busted.

Next, oil can be a little liberal if you're using microfiber cloth. I start by filling the oil cap and then massaging it into the cloth to form an oil spread 3 times the chip size. Do not use the baby oil--it is filled with evaporative agents. Do not use wax--it is petroleum-based. Use pure mineral oil. Walgreens has an excellent version shown above.
View attachment 53911
View attachment 53912

The next step is something you wont read anywhere, and I had to learn it the hard way. I think it is the single most critical reason why everyone's oil keeps drying out. I will quickly trademark this rule as mine. We will call it the "Stibnite Seal n Shine©", all rights reserved 2016.

Working with polymers, seals, impregnators, densifiers, urethanes and other forms of coverants in my business, I am highly experienced when it comes to sealing off the microscopic pores of surfaces. One thing is for sure--in order to seal something with non-water based substances like oil, it requires compression. Wooden cutting boards, for example, must be press-oiled 2-5 times before they are sealed tight and ready to use.

In layman's terms, that means if you want this china clay chip sealed right with oil, then you must add pressure to seal and lock it in. Sorry shoe polish applicators and oil-water dips--your oiling method won't stand the test of time on China Clays. Plus, water/oil mixtures apply unevenly and leave a splotchy appearance on the chip faces. That said, however, because the higher end clays are more porous, those methods are more effective overall than they are on china clays, but compression oiling WILL still be far better and provide a uniform and lasting covering and seal.

What is compression oiling? Well, it is quite simple. It means you add pressure while oiling. Using one hand, hold the oiled microfiber cloth with three fingers and using the other hand, spin a single chip between your thumb, index and middle finger firmly--applying surrounding pressure to both faces and edge at the same time. You WILL feel the chalky substance peeling off (yes, AFTER having washed the chips already), and once the edge feels smoothened from both pressure and oil, it is done. Set it on the paper towel.
View attachment 53913
View attachment 53914
View attachment 53915
View attachment 53916

Now, you've done this rack of 100 chips and the hard part is next. You must wait 24-48 hours. Air drying is the only way to let these seal and cure. Do NOT disturb them during the air dry process.

Now, to show you why compression is important during oiling, take a look at how much rough surface came off onto the microfiber rag during compression oiling AFTER these chips had been soap washed and dryed from the factory dust.
View attachment 53917

Compression oiling smoothens the surface and edges and forces the oil deep into the pores of the clay that oil layering or dipping cannot achieve. It also makes them much better for shuffling, etc.

The next step is another factor you wont see in the instruction manuals of chip oiling. If you use plastic trays, then you should know that they, too, are porous microscopically. Yes, get that rag out and oil the inside of your trays also, and let them air dry for 1-2 days along side of your chips. You'll be glad you did, as the charge from the plastic can withdraw active oils from within the clay. Oops! Who'd thought their plastic trays were drying out their chips? Just seal them the same way.
View attachment 53918

Now, after waiting a day or two, your anticipation is getting the best of you. Time to get those chips off of the paper towels and dry off the adhesive sticker. Do not wipe the edge and face of chips dry with the microfiber towel as this just needlessly dulls the chip and sucks out the oil--defeating the whole purpose for air drying. Just grab the chip and quickly swipe the sticker dry and clean only. I hold the chip on the edges and make a small central swirling motion with a pinch of the thumb and index finger to clean the sticker on both sides, and done. Then start putting your chips in stacks of 10. The oil should be properly air dried by this point anyhow. The oil on the sticker, however, will still be moist enough to wipe away since the sticker on Milanos is non-porous.
View attachment 53919
View attachment 53920
Adhesive sticker is clean and intact!

Now, you have many oiled chips in stacks of 10 sitting there. Grab a stack and place it on your oiled microfiber cloth within your hand. Hold them evenly and firmly in place and roll the edges only--avoiding faces and stickers. The edges are far more porous and truly require this second coat, but the second coat does not require compression. During this step I did not re-oil the rag, but used the leftover, nearly dried oil from the day prior. No need to make this coating heavier than a simple brisk.
View attachment 53921

Now, place the chip stacks right into the rack, as is, to air dry for another 12-24 hours. After air drying, take them out one last time and there will be a line of settlement oil that didn't absorb left on two sides of the chips where the rack made contact on the edges. Just use your fingers and wipe it away or massage it into the chip. Do not wipe them off with the microfiber. The trace amount is so insignificant that your skin will absorb it even if you just bust them out and play them at this point.
View attachment 53922
View attachment 53923

Congratulations. Your chips are ready to play. Place them back into the racks and call your friends and enemies over.

After nearly a week, you can see clearly that these chips are holding their shine both in play and out of play.
View attachment 53924
Unplayed compression oiled reds 6 days old next to clean unoiled reds.

View attachment 53925
Oiled blacks oiled and played for 6 days and holding their shine without any signs of wear.

In conclusion, Compression Oiling is the way to go in my book. I am currently applying this method to the 1000 lot and looking forward to the difference it makes to these Milanos.

I hope you found this information and guide helpful to your oiling process.

Oiling Chips Done Right!

Update: September 5, 2016 (Two week mark)

After two weeks of rigorous play, these racks which were finished back on the 21st of August still look amazing. No chips have dried out or lost sheen. I used a more natural lighting and opposing background to capture the real look so they don't appear "too" shiney.

View attachment 54836
View attachment 54837
View attachment 54842
View attachment 54843

Also, the shuffling ability of these chips after proper oiling is pretty solid. I can smack two stacks of 20 with both hands at the same time. I can't achieve this with most casino chips consistently.

View attachment 54844
Job well done!!

Love this. Thank you for the effort. Truly can see myself becoming addicted to doing this. Pretty much what I do with another hobby of mine.

Thanks to @Stibnite for this guide. China clays is about where my chip budget ends but he sure does help me make them shine their brightest! This isn't my first set to get the fluff and buff treatment but they all come out looking great. It really shows in the side by side. :)

I only do 100 a night to ensure they each get that TLC, it's a labor of love to be sure. lol

20220412_073456.jpg

20220412_073451.jpg

Question for those that are experts in oiling. I personally never have oiled chips before myself or had oiled chips before. Just received some chips that the previous owner had oiled and I noticed when I was looking at them after opening the box that there was some oil residue or let's say oil on the faces of the chips. They were slightly stuck together so I took a microfiber towel and just wiped the chips that did have leftover oil on them across that, front and back.

Overtime will there be more oil that will "seep" out of the chip onto the face like that or is this just something that happens after chips have been oiled?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Question for those that are experts in oiling. I personally never have oiled chips before myself or had oiled chips before. Just received some chips that the previous owner had oiled and I noticed when I was looking at them after opening the box that there was some oil residue or let's say oil on the faces of the chips. They were slightly stuck together so I took a microfiber towel and just wiped the chips that did have leftover oil on them across that, front and back.

Overtime will there be more oil that will "seep" out of the chip onto the face like that or is this just something that happens after chips have been oiled?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

In my experience with ASM/CPC, the oils doesn't seep out. It sounds like those weren't wiped down properly after oiling

In my experience with ASM/CPC, the oils doesn't seep out. It sounds like those weren't wiped down properly after oiling
Okay, that's what I was guessing was the case. Thanks for confirming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom