Official Hybrid GB 43mm & 39mm - Three Themes - Cash &Tournament (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. That is not a label or an adhesive. It is basically the resin/polyester blend that is mixed into the chips to accept the dye sublimation ink. It is basically just an unfinished poker chip surface.

It definitely has nothing to do with labels or adhesives or laminates. Labels are vinyl with an adhesive backing. Additional adhesives are not applied to the chip prior to application. Also the laminate that gets applied to poker chip labels is done while they are still on the sheet prior to cutting. So it could not be a label, a laminate or an adhesive.

That leaves the basic composition of the chip. If something shiny is on top of that center portion it is probably the polyester that is melted and not pressed with a textured surface during the heat and compression process of manufacturing.

Well, I would agree with you IF the recess printing was on TOP of that layer. But it's underneath it, which means the layer was added AFTER printing. It's a label.

EDIT:

Well, damn. Upon closer inspection -- and breaking a chip in half -- it's a clearly evident and visible clear glossy ~layer~ on top of the recess, but it's not coming off. And the printing is indeed on TOP of that layer, not underneath.... although it appears to actually be printed completely through the layer. Even though it appears to be underneath, scraping the layer away eventually removes the dye sub ink.

It is basically the resin/polyester blend that is mixed into the chips to accept the dye sublimation ink.

If something shiny is on top of that center portion it is probably the polyester that is melted and not pressed with a textured surface during the heat and compression process of manufacturing.
Good call, Sal. What I don't understand is why the two circles (on just on side) where there is no layer, if it's added for printing purposes?

Last edited:
Good call, Sal. What I don't understand is why the two circles (on just on side) where there is no layer, if it's added for printing purposes?
Ah, nevermind. The recess is designed to accept a label, not the dye sub ink..... so it doesn't really matter if the entire surface underneath is covered or not. (y) :thumbsup:

20171213_234514.jpg

Last edited:
Mystery solved!

"And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids"

Thanks to @Hobbyphilic who named the Tangiers his poker chip of the year for 2017. That's quite an honor. Thanks to everyone who participated in the group buy and assisted with the design process. This was my favorite group buy I've ever ran.

It's really a well designed set Sal. I couldn't be any happier with my Mayfair set.

You could put a wanted add in the classifieds. Depending on the breakdown someone may have extras to sell.

Thanks for this, I may do that when I have more time. Not really in a huge hurry, but I suppose just ordering a sleeve might be good too.

Chips have arrived and they are sexy! Stack great, feel great, look great! Only one chip damaged on the bottom of the roll. My guess is the roll was dropped before shipment. Very happy with this set! If there are other aspects you want me to photograph, let me know!

20180212_154738.jpg 20180212_154358.jpg 20180212_154347.jpg 20180212_151612.jpg 20180212_151606.jpg 20180212_151601.jpg 20180212_151556.jpg 20180212_151553.jpg 20180212_151545.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom