Not sure how I feel about this but... (1 Viewer)

I would call it more of a sub ...... meat between bread that is cut on one side but not all the way through (aka a sub roll). Now if a sub is considered a sandwich, then I guess that makes a hot dog a sandwich too (y) :thumbsup:

Not sure why this is still up for debate. There is a definitive answer. Somebody should contact John Edward Hollister Montagu, the current Earl of Sandwich. It's his family's creation. He is the ultimate authority on the matter.

I would call it more of a sub ...... meat between bread that is cut on one side but not all the way through (aka a sub roll).

Only really shitty subs/hoagies/grinders are made without the loaf being cut all the way through. Nobody ever used to do that, until crappy companies like Subway came along.

Only really shitty subs/hoagies/grinders are made without the loaf being cut all the way through. Nobody ever used to do that, until crappy companies like Subway came along.
Maybe it's a regional thing. And granted, I haven't been around forever, but never in my 44 years have I been served a sub with the roll cut all the way through.

Think about how you eat the sub. A good sub needs thin, evenly-distributed layers of the filler materials in order for their flavors to contact air and aromas to develop. Folding the filler materials over on themselves negates much of the sandwich structure. Unless the loaf is cut all the way through, bites from the cut edge and center are a balance of bread and filler. But when you get to the uncut side, you're getting mostly bread in each bite. There is no consistency to the sandwich.

The only benefit is to the seller's profit line, since they use less meat and cheese filler for each sandwich, and don't have to lay the meats and cheeses out properly.

The sacred Tastee Sub Shop in Edison, NJ, visited to rave reviews by most of our presidents since 1968, would never even consider leaving the loaf hinged. :eek:

Maybe it's a regional thing. And granted, I haven't been around forever, but never in my 44 years have I been served a sub with the roll cut all the way through.

It might be. But we all know grinder/frappe/quahog country is a little weird on the food side of things. It makes you wonder how the wonderful North End of Boston ever came into being...:eek:

All I can say is: try it for yourself. Make two subs, with the same ingredients.

Make one Subway style, with wads of meats, cheeses, etc. stacked on the hinged loaf, then any toppings. Then fold it over, smush it down, and eat it.

Make the other sub with the meat and cheese slices laid out individually, evenly distributed over the bottom half of the loaf. Add/sprinkle the toppings, top with the top half of the loaf, and eat it.

The truth is in the flavors... :cool:

It might be. But we all know grinder/frappe/quahog country is a little weird on the food side of things. It makes you wonder how the wonderful North End of Boston ever came into being...:eek:

All I can say is: try it for yourself. Make two subs, with the same ingredients.

Make one Subway style, with wads of meats, cheeses, etc. stacked on the hinged loaf, then any toppings. Then fold it over, smush it down, and eat it.

Make the other sub with the meat and cheese slices laid out individually, evenly distributed over the bottom half of the loaf. Add/sprinkle the toppings, top with the top half of the loaf, and eat it.

The truth is in the flavors... :cool:
Valid points I'm sure. On the other hand, that format is probably worse for fillings like chicken salad or tuna salad, which might squish out the sides when you bite into it. And I think you need a roll intact on one side for one of the most popular subs - the steak and cheese.

Your Florida gator subs has nothing on our Maine lobster rolls. (y) :thumbsup: And Subway is awful.... all the local sub shops use a hinged sub roll to keep the contents in.... it's all about how you place them in :)

You eat a sandwich with the bread slice parallel to the horizon.

You eat a hotdog/taco/gyro with the slice facing up - not sandwiches.

If you cut it up and eat it with a knife and fork, it ceases to be a sandwich.

If you put it in a blender with liquid it becomes soup. And gross. But at least you know it's not a sandwich.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom