Noob question about group buys (1 Viewer)

doublehelix

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi all,
I love the look of the "Aria's" tribute set, but I'd me more interested in a Mirage tribute set. Searching PCF turns up some really nice examples of Paulson Mirage tribute sets, but as far as I can tell, no one has done a cards mold group-buy version (have they?). If that's something I was interested in, would I need to convince someone to manage the process, since I have't done it before? Or are there occasionally group buys where you're allowed to submit your own artwork?

Hi all,
I love the look of the "Aria's" tribute set, but I'd me more interested in a Mirage tribute set. Searching PCF turns up some really nice examples of Paulson Mirage tribute sets, but as far as I can tell, no one has done a cards mold group-buy version (have they?). If that's something I was interested in, would I need to convince someone to manage the process, since I have't done it before? Or are there occasionally group buys where you're allowed to submit your own artwork?
Find a designer that’s fluent in cards mold designs. My vote goes to @timinater !
You don’t necessarily need a group buy. Just buy 2000 chips to hit your price break?

Hi all,
excellent taste!

Hi all,

As a fellow noob who is very interested in exactly this topic, let me briefly sum up my findings: There have been group buys with people using their own artwork, but those group buys impose an exceptional burden on the GB organizer, and the general feeling seems to be that although there will probably be another such buy some day, it'll be a while. (A hero will rise up...)

I'm working with somebody to design a set of my own right now, and if I can't bring myself to spend the numerous Benjamins required to have CPC make them, or to buy Paulsons for a murder/relabel job, I may throw my hat in that ring. But if you just go look at the Black Friday thread over in The Chip Room, you'll get a preview of what it's like to deal with a mob of chippers who just need to be patient for a week, and you can imagine what it's like to coordinate a multi-month back-and-forth with China. It takes dedication, I'm thinking.

As a fellow noob who is very interested in exactly this topic, let me briefly sum up my findings: There have been group buys with people using their own artwork, but those group buys impose an exceptional burden on the GB organizer, and the general feeling seems to be that although there will probably be another such buy some day, it'll be a while. (A hero will rise up...)

I'm working with somebody to design a set of my own right now, and if I can't bring myself to spend the numerous Benjamins required to have CPC make them, or to buy Paulsons for a murder/relabel job, I may throw my hat in that ring. But if you just go look at the Black Friday thread over in The Chip Room, you'll get a preview of what it's like to deal with a mob of chippers who just need to be patient for a week, and you can imagine what it's like to coordinate a multi-month back-and-forth with China. It takes dedication, I'm thinking.
Nah, supes easy. Exactly zero stress. Right @Eloe2000 ?

I need almost that many for my limit set….:cool
IMG_20211109_211135.gif

Hi all,
I also would be interested depending on the design.

I'm itching to get in on the next GB for the card molds. Looking at the chips from the various threads and digging through some of the ones people have gotten has me intrigued. I wish I could get a sample set just to see what they feel like in person but man do a lot of those sets look very nice, especially for something that was produced with such a low cost per chip overall. Very impressive sets. How often are they put together these GBs for the card molds?

I'm itching to get in on the next GB for the card molds. Looking at the chips from the various threads and digging through some of the ones people have gotten has me intrigued. I wish I could get a sample set just to see what they feel like in person but man do a lot of those sets look very nice, especially for something that was produced with such a low cost per chip overall. Very impressive sets. How often are they put together these GBs for the card molds?
I have some Aria's from before the GB. Been meaning to sell some sample sets, just haven't posted yet. Let me know if you want a set. I think it's 9 chips.

is it from the first mold batch where the edges are more squared, slightly larger and it's glossy?
@doublehelix Just realized I have sorta jacked your thread. If you want me to remove this post, just say the word.

No they are recent. From Sean's GB - Batch #5. I ordered them long before I thought I would run a GB for them. But this batch took forever and they were just delivered to me two weeks ago. They are still in the wrapper (much easier to keep stored) but they do not appear to have glossy edges and other chips I received from the same batch do not have glossy edges.

BTW, I don't think the newer chips have any less sharp edges than the originals. If you want to compare, I can throw in a few from way back in Batch #1 that I have had for over a year.

In this pic are the 9 Aria's chips. (still in plastic) In the rack are some of my customs. The dark purple chips are from Batch #1 and the lighter lavender replacements are chips that I had made recently. If anything, the edges of the newer ones are sharper than the old ones, not less sharp. And yes, they are ever so slightly smaller in diameter. Even next to each other in the rack it's barely noticeable.

For anyone in this thread wants a set containing one each of the 9 Aria's chips, plus 3 of the dark purples from Batch #1 to compare and make a nice 12 chip shuffle stack, I'll send this shipped in the US for $10. Outside of the US I'll have to check on shipping cost, but usually these smaller packages are not much more than US Postal rates. Like I said, I do plan to list these for sale in the classifieds, but just don't have time right at the moment. This offer is currently only good for those of you who have already posted in this thread. In posts 1-15. Not after this post. Please don't ask in this thread.

And finally, full disclosure: The T1, T5, T25 and T100K chips in this group WERE NOT designed by @Johnny5 and are different than all the chips in the Group Buys on their way from Tina right now. Someone in Tina's group designed these 4 chips, I believe at the request of a PCF member. I don't know who. I just want you to be aware, these are for sample purposes and you'll not likely find many more of these unless they were bought in the batch I got these from.

20211117_224730.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom