No Wonder My Car Insurance Is So High In Florida! (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Last week on a Wednesday heading to the skating rink I got held up in traffic for awhile because there was a three-car crash at a traffic light with one car flipped on its hood.

Then tonight heading to the rink again on a Wednesday and I pass an FHP with lights on next to a car flipped on its hood over on the right shoulder, and across the street there's another car that plowed into high grass and is sideways plus another truck off on the side of the road as well.

Fortunately I've managed to avoid the mayhem, but I've had some close calls with the idiots on the roads, especially motorcycles that like to speed up in peoples blind spots and weave in and out of traffic while getting mad if you don't see them.

So I was in central Florida for a couple of weeks and besides some interesting driving techniques (people seemed to love cutting across the hazard lines early when merging onto a highway on traffic, like 30% of them) I couldn’t get over how many cars are abandoned or at least parked cars (and three semi trucks) on the side of the highways while I was there. Is it certain highways or areas? Certain times of the year due to weather? Or just par for the course?

Granted some looked like they were purposely driven under an overpass but I usually don’t see a single one for weeks and I must have seen a total of 25+ unique cars in a matter of two weeks.

Maybe @Schmendr1ck @ni9n3r @Blacksox1 @Parrothedd or other FLers could give their insight?

So I was in central Florida for a couple of weeks and besides some interesting driving techniques (people seemed to love cutting across the hazard lines early when merging onto a highway on traffic, like 30% of them) I couldn’t get over how many cars are abandoned or at least parked cars (and three semi trucks) on the side of the highways while I was there. Is it certain highways or areas? Certain times of the year due to weather? Or just par for the course?

Granted some looked like they were purposely driven under an overpass but I usually don’t see a single one for weeks and I must have seen a total of 25+ unique cars in a matter of two weeks.

Maybe @Schmendr1ck @ni9n3r @Blacksox1 @Parrothedd or other FLers could give their insight?

I'm in the Tampa area and rarely travel much outside the area, so can't comment on Orlando.

I have heard there are big issues with uninsured motorists, although more in the Miami area

I haven't noticed that cars on the side of the road are a lot more common in Central Florida than other areas, but maybe it's because I've lived down here for most of my life and I'm just used to it. Central Florida interstates (I-4 and I-95) are insanely busy all the time, and hot weather is very hard on cars, more so if they're old and/or not well-maintained.

Also, they won't be there for long. Florida police can have your car towed and impounded if you leave it on the side of the highway. Usually they won't do it immediately - instead they'll ticket the vehicle, and IIRC you get 24 or 48 hours to move it before it's moved for you.

Last week on a Wednesday heading to the skating rink I got held up in traffic for awhile because there was a three-car crash at a traffic light with one car flipped on its hood.

Then tonight heading to the rink again on a Wednesday and I pass an FHP with lights on next to a car flipped on its hood over on the right shoulder, and across the street there's another car that plowed into high grass and is sideways plus another truck off on the side of the road as well.

Fortunately I've managed to avoid the mayhem, but I've had some close calls with the idiots on the roads, especially motorcycles that like to speed up in peoples blind spots and weave in and out of traffic while getting mad if you don't see them.
Your rates are so high because Florida is a no-fault state.

Auto insurance premiums are typically higher in the 12 no-fault states.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom