NJ Speeding Ticket... HELP! (1 Viewer)

RudysNYC

Flush
Reaction score
Any NJ drivers/speed freaks around? Could desperately use some advice.

I got caught going disturbingly fast on the Garden State yesterday morning. Genuinely mortifying—the citation and ticket combine for 7 points :banghead: :banghead: I’m always an impeccable and lawful driver so I’m legitimately freaking out

I have a reasonably good medical-based defense as to why I was going faster than the speed of light (terrible IBS...). I also have a spotless driving record and have no prior convictions, traffic or criminal.

What are my chances of getting this down to like 2/3 points? I am not exaggerating when I say I’ll pay whatever ungodly fines they expect of me. Thanks in advance for any time and advice

PS — any NY drivers who’ve been in my position, did the NY DMV find out/did it show up on your insurance? Thanks.

The saying "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" comes to mind... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Best advice is to read the ticket for the particular offense cited, then read the state traffic code to see if it matches the circumstances. I once got off of a ticket because I was charged with an "unsafe U-turn" in the middle of the block. One paragraph in the code prohibited unsafe u-turns, the next paragraph prohibited u-turns outside of an intersection. I convinced the judge that although my u-turn was technically illegal, it was not unsafe, which is what the officer wrote on the ticket. Case dismissed.

Your defense is IBS? Hire a lawyer.
Haha yea that’s what I most likely will wind up doing, but if I can get out with 2 points and a $500 fine by myself I’d take it. I’ve heard of “prosecutors deals” in instances like this where people get off with lesser charges and negligible points, just don’t know anyone who’s been lucky enough
Best advice is to read the ticket for the particular offense cited, then read the state traffic code to see if it matches the circumstances
Yea the circumstances are “I was going too fast” lol

The chances are very good of getting many/most of the points dropped. Hire a lawyer that specializes in tickets with the Troopers. It’s all about the money. I have had many NJ tickets and never a single point in the end... but lots of extra fees. They love to knock a $100 speeding ticket worth 2+pts down to a 0pts “failing to observe signs” ticket for $400.

Hopefully you were nice to the ticketing officer.

Seriously, I would ask a lawyer if out of state points apply to your license. I know in Canada that offences in most provinces do not apply against your license in your home province (impaired driving is the main exception). Even failing to pay the fine is not enforceable, as long as you never get caught driving in that province again. Some states may have an agreement to share traffic information between jurisdictions, but I'm guessing that many don't. A lawyer could tell you pretty quickly (or a google search - cheaper, but not necessarily as accurate).

Seriously, I would ask a lawyer if out of state points apply to your license. I know in Canada that offences in most provinces do not apply against your license in your home province (impaired driving is the main exception). Even failing to pay the fine is not enforceable, as long as you never get caught driving in that province again. Some states may have an agreement to share traffic information between jurisdictions, but I'm guessing that many don't. A lawyer could tell you pretty quickly (or a google search - cheaper, but not necessarily as accurate).

Good point. Unfortunately NY and NJ are very interdependent and definitely share this info.

The chances are very good of getting many/most of the points dropped.
This is music to my ears. Willing to do whatever to make that happen, so will hire a local lawyer who does these kinds of things. Appreciate this advice, google said as much but I always trust you guys more than lawyers paying to have their answers listed on google haha
Hopefully you were nice to the ticketing officer.
Always. My uncle was a NYPD cop for a couple decades, I can’t see myself ever being outright disrespectful to a cop
Seriously, I would ask a lawyer if out of state points apply to your license.
This is going to be my second question to my lawyer. According to NJ MVC, they report it to NY, but according to the NY DMV, “New York State DMV does not record out-of-state convictions of moving traffic violations of New York State non-commercial licensed drivers, except for traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada.” I am, in fact, a non-commercial licensed driver, so it’s very confusing

Edit: so I suppose the points wouldn’t transfer but it’ll show up on the insurance? Idk lawyer it is thank you guys haha

Hire a lawyer and take a defensive driving course. Usually the latter is part of the deal you make though. I may be the wrong person to ask about this though, never got a speeding ticket *knock on wood*

In Michigan, our Secretary of State will review your eligibility for a license in other states when you renew. I know for a fact that if you are ineligible for a license in another state (for example, too many points or failure to pay a fine), you can not renew in a Michigan. It's my understanding that most states are like that now, but YMMV.

Here, you can request an informal hearing (no lawyer) and if that doesn't be go well, request a formal hearing (with a lawyer). It gives you two bites at the apple.

Here, the Prosecuting attorney will review your driving record and listen to your explanation. If you are not a repeat offender, they will offer you a deal, and don't be afraid to ask for what you want. But to me, "terrible IBS" is (pardon the pun) a shitty excuse. If there was a possibility of a flare up behind the wheel, you should've pulled off the road, or not gotten behind the wheel at all.

JMHO. I know you're not dealing with Michigan offenses, but I'm trying to give you some ideas based on my experience. I've never not been able to get a deal. Generally, in my experience, it's about the money, as long as you're not high-risk or a repeat offender. Good luck!

In all the states in which I've had tickets (NJ, MD, VA, etc.), if you follow the procedure to go to court, when you get there (with or without an attorney) and register, there is a brief pre-court interview at which it is pretty easy to negotiate the offense downward in exchange for a guilty plea.

in exchange for a guilty plea.
Language in Court can make a huge difference... Here, you would please "responsible" to a civil infraction.... "Guilty" is only used for criminal offenses. I've seen plenty of lawyers fuck this up and look like a dumbass in front of their clients.

Do some reading before you go to Court, if you're not hiring an attorney.

In all the states in which I've had tickets (NJ, MD, VA, etc.), if you follow the procedure to go to court, when you get there (with or without an attorney) and register, there is a brief pre-court interview at which it is pretty easy to negotiate the offense downward in exchange for a guilty plea.
I wouldn't mess with a lawyer. Just show up on the court date and they will drop it down some for a guilty plea. Might have to take a defensive driving course.

I wouldn't mess with a lawyer. Just show up on the court date and they will drop it down some for a guilty plea. Might have to take a defensive driving course.
I'm not sure I agree with this. A seven point violation here in NJ is pretty serious. The judge may very well be lenient and allow a plea to drop the points if OP takes a defensive driving course and pays off the fine, especially as a first time offender. Catch a judge on a bad day and OP can be in pretty serious trouble depending on the points laws in New York. In New Jersey, 12 points gets your license suspended, and it's less than that in New York at 11. If OP needs his car to get to work and elsewhere, it's an absolute nightmare to get your license back once it's suspended.

Paying for the lawyer that specializes in traffic law saves OP lots of money and agita in the long run.

I'm not sure I agree with this. A seven point violation here in NJ is pretty serious. The judge may very well be lenient and allow a plea to drop the points if OP takes a defensive driving course and pays off the fine, especially as a first time offender. Catch a judge on a bad day and OP can be in pretty serious trouble depending on the points laws in New York. In New Jersey, 12 points gets your license suspended, and it's less than that in New York at 11. If OP needs his car to get to work and elsewhere, it's an absolute nightmare to get your license back once it's suspended.

Paying for the lawyer that specializes in traffic law saves OP lots of money and agita in the long run.
Less risk with a lawyer. But it's a cut and dried case, he was speeding and the cop caught him. Just my experience, show up for court and they drop it down quite a bit. Never done it in NJ though.

Agreed, and the points aren’t just relevant to your license getting restricted. More so, in states like NY and NJ where insurance is already high, once your points are up in that range your insurance premiums can double. The traffic attorney will pay for itself. I always fought my tickets in NJ not worrying about my license getting restricted but because of the insurance premiums.

The one hiccup here is that it’s a ticket from a Trooper. If this were some small town and you hired a local attorney you would probably have more power/leverage. But OP was still respectful of the officer which is a big deal.

Less risk with a lawyer. But it's a cut and dried case, he was speeding and the cop caught him. Just my experience, show up for court and they drop it down quite a bit. Never done it in NJ though.
OP, I assume, has zero relationship with the cop, Prosecutor and Judge. An attorney has likely dealt with that cop, that Prosecutor and that Judge before.

Unless you know someone or get a solid recommendation, it would be worthwhile to go to Court when the traffic docket is called and observe. It's a good way to pick out an attorney that is competent. Here, all Court hearings are done via zoom right now, with the sessions usually broadcast on YouTube. You might be able to get an idea of who knows what they're doing without ever leaving the house.

All the trouble I ever had with the Law always came from this thing:rolleyes:
Coming from another country, I can't offer any useful advice. Good Luck!

On onother note, it's absurd for a nation so anxious about indivudual freedom, real or perceived, and not really regulating even fire arms, to not have de-restricted speed highways:rolleyes:

I think this is exactly my rationale as well. Thanks for the solid judgment!
I always fought my tickets in NJ not worrying about my license getting restricted but because of the insurance premiums.
This is also my big concern. I’m not worried about getting restricted in Jersey, I’m worry about the insurance and less-so the points jumping to NY (conflicting info on that)

Unless you know someone or get a solid recommendation, it would be worthwhile to go to Court when the traffic docket is called and observe. It's a good way to pick out an attorney that is competent.
This is a GREAT idea

When I had a NYDL I got caught doing 106 in a 55 in PA. I thought I was going to get locked up or something for reckless driving but I'm guessing he just left me with a ticket since I had my parents in the car. (I swear on my most beloved of chips this is a true story). Anyways, I just paid the $300+ fine and I was set. No points unless if it is alcohol/drug related incident:

"The New York State DMV does not record out-of-state convictions of moving traffic violations of New York State non-commercial licensed drivers, except for traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec in Canada"

I have no experience in NJ, but I’ll tell you two things I’ve seen in MA courts:
1) judges are often happy to knock a big ticket down to a little one, as long as you don’t confess to that exact speed “I don’t know how fast I was going, I just had to poop.)
2) lawyers often help, just by their presence. Judges reward you for walking into the courtroom with a lawyer. It shows you’re taking the situation seriously and respectfully. And judges like to reward you by giving you value for that. Remember, the judge was a lawyer too - they’re happy to help make that lawyers feel worth something to you.

This meme never grows old.
I agree with Adam though, really.
Best of luck in the situation, I've been to traffic court several times and they almost always reduce the points and negotiate the fine, like Larry said.

4ba1hk.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom