NJ Speeding Ticket... HELP! (1 Viewer)

I have driven to all corners of CONUS, California, Florida and Maine (closest I've been to PNW is South Dakota or NorCal). I've never gotten a speeding ticket on an interstate, and I generally set my cruise control for speed limit +7 mph.

The tollways always scare me because with a time stamp at each booth, they can calculate your average speed between tollbooths...
I’ve always worried about that on the Jersey Turnpike but it doesn’t seem to register with most of the other drivers I see on there. They typically fly past me when I’m doing 75-80.

They give you a sandwich?! Man, Maryland is just full of nice people.

Two miles at 60 mph is 2 minutes. Two miles at 100 mph is 1 minute, 12 seconds. I don't think a judge will "contextualize" an out of state driver putting his voters at risk to save 48 seconds. In fact, I would be concerned that the Judge would make an example out of you for the very reason that you are from out of state -- both because of the whole state rivalry thing and because you can't vote to elect someone else in his place.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but these are the types of sound-good arguments that don't work that a seasoned professional will avoid.
No not a sandwich! A mof**kin sammich!!! Hell yes brother you are welcome to come hang out with the MD crew any time brother! And anything under 90 is not speeding here even in a 55! We use the 95 interstate sign as our cautionary speed limit sign!

Story time... on my honeymoon in Montana we were headed back to the Air Port in a POS Chevy Cruze... if anyone has been near Billings.. you are pointed down hill for 5 miles and up hill the next 5 miles over and over again!

We had like 5 hours to get back to the worlds smallest air port, check in takes about 3 minutes and 2.5 of that is returning the rental and walking over to the terminal.... I was in no rush about 80 miles from the AP

Anyways the car had no cruise control... I'm rolling down a big hill and was going 95 in a 75.. the state man busted a dukes of hazzard Uey and I knew he was coming.. normal crap license and reg. Blah blah... I was like this isn't going to be good. He comes back up and says I see you are out of staters... I said yes on our honey moon. He said "do you have 20 bucks?" What absolutely I have 20 bucks man.. I don't care if this is some crooked s*it on not... I am down with the bribe man... but why $20 why not ask for $200?

No joke because out of staters never pay their fines there, they have a $20 warning ticket... you pay $20 cash. If you don't have it on you it was a $250 fine plus processing fee!! Lmao

Best 20 spot spent ever!!

No not a sandwich! A mof**kin sammich!!! Hell yes brother you are welcome to come hang out with the MD crew any time brother! And anything under 90 is not speeding here even in a 55! We use the 95 interstate sign as our cautionary speed limit sign!

Story time... on my honeymoon in Montana we were headed back to the Air Port in a POS Chevy Cruze... if anyone has been near Billings.. you are pointed down hill for 5 miles and up hill the next 5 miles over and over again!

We had like 5 hours to get back to the worlds smallest air port, check in takes about 3 minutes and 2.5 of that is returning the rental and walking over to the terminal.... I was in no rush about 80 miles from the AP

Anyways the car had no cruise control... I'm rolling down a big hill and was going 95 in a 75.. the state man busted a dukes of hazzard Uey and I knew he was coming.. normal crap license and reg. Blah blah... I was like this isn't going to be good. He comes back up and says I see you are out of staters... I said yes on our honey moon. He said "do you have 20 bucks?" What absolutely I have 20 bucks man.. I don't care if this is some crooked s*it on not... I am down with the bribe man... but why $20 why not ask for $200?

No joke because out of staters never pay their fines there, they have a $20 warning ticket... you pay $20 cash. If you don't have it on you it was a $250 fine plus processing fee!! Lmao

This is phenomenal...

Makes sense though. I have a buddy who got a ticket in Wyoming years ago. He didn’t pay it because, in his words, “if I ever find myself in Wyoming again I deserve to be arrested” lol

This is phenomenal...

Makes sense though. I have a buddy who got a ticket in Wyoming years ago. He didn’t pay it because, in his words, “if I ever find myself in Wyoming again I deserve to be arrested” lol
That's the nice thing about large countries. :)
CIA factbook on Greece: "A Republic in South-Eastern Europe, roughly the size of Alabama":D

In VA just shoot yourself!! You got to court... they lecture you for 20 minutes and threaten lethal Injection before letting you off easy woth double the fine and court costs and nice enough to let you walk out with you license and maybe a thin slice of dignity.. but not much!!

Don't forget the DUI charge they add even though you blew a 0.0 because the cop claimed you "seemed intoxicated" at the time that the judge throws away the second he sees a lawyer standing next to you but makes your court costs even more.

This is phenomenal...

Exactly my friend!! They are well aware nobody drives through there twice!! Its beautiful for the first hour... the next 6 to get where you are going... well the scenery is quite repeating we can say!

For the record I based my entire honeymoon around a freaking Bison burger from the Corral Dinner at the north entrance to Yellowstone! We went in 1997 on a 27,000 mile 9 1/2 week trip in a crappy WB motor home, left Maryland when I stepped off the bus my freshman year and got home 2 days before school started again. That damn Burger was the only thing I thought about for 10 years... btw it has been 13 years since the last one... I'm hungry!! But air fair is about $2,200 each to Billings from MD... I'm broke from buying poker chips, but I miss my burger joint!! Oh and my ex didn't eat ground meat... she wasn't very happy that I based our honeymoon around a burger, I had 5 in my week there, she had a chicken tender basket!! They don't even have inside seating, it is a walk up and order and you sit at a picnic table even pre covid kind of classy place! Best burger of my life and don't even know what second place is!!
Screenshot_20201209-212412_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sometimes I wish I could make this stuff up!! Haha

Don't forget the DUI charge they add even though you blew a 0.0 because the cop claimed you "seemed intoxicated" at the time that the judge throws away the second he sees a lawyer standing next to you but makes your court costs even more.
:rolleyes:

Here, a DUI (Operating Under the Influence of Liquor, or OUIL) is a criminal offense and requires evidence to charge. An officer's suspicion can form probable cause to arrest, but without more, it's not enough to actually charge you with a crime... I can't imagine other jurisdictions are much different.

Also, fines are usually set by statute (usually local statute) and the Judge can not arbitrarily increase the fine (but they usually have discretion to go lower). Instead, they will offer a deal wherein you plead to a different offense, usually one with fewer points but a higher fine) and they will dismiss the original charge.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Here, a DUI (Operating Under the Influence if Liquor, or OUIL) is a criminal offense and requires evidence to charge. An officer's suspicion can form probable cause to arrest, but without more, it's not enough to actually charge you with a crime... I can't imagine other jurisdictions are much different.

Also, fines are usually set by statute (usually local statute) and the Judge can not arbitrarily increase the fine (but they usually have discretion to go lower). Instead, they will offer a deal wherein you plead to a different offense, usually one with fewer points but a higher fine) and they will dismiss the original charge.

It was an obvious exaggeration but here in Virginia we have the toughest DUI laws in the country. Any lawyer here will tell you to always refuse the roadside test because any blowing of .05 or higher is an auto arrest even though the legal limit is .08 and they will figure out the details later and hope you can't afford a lawyer.

They are well aware nobody drives through there twice!! Its beautiful for the first hour... the next 6 to get where you are going... well the scenery is quite repeating we can say!
I went through twice. On the way through west, and on the way back east. Strangely, I also had a trooper engagement.
Must be something about the roads.

It was an obvious exaggeration but here in Virginia we have the toughest DUI laws in the country. Any lawyer here will tell you to always refuse the roadside test because any blowing of .05 or higher is an auto arrest even though the legal limit is .08 and they will figure out the details later and hope you can't afford a lawyer.
DUI??? Try the most strict on every moving violation ever!! I mean I was going 140 plus on Rt. 66 one Christmas and an under cover Chevy Silerado state boy was nice enough to write the ticket for 90 in a 65... again one of my best presents ever... I thought I was racing a truck.... not a damn officer... but I think he enjoyed it too so he gave me a break!! Another one of my best presents ever!!

Still can't believe the ex's 97 4 banger accord would peg the needle! Honestly impressive... not even sure how fast were were going but we were pulling away from him finally.... just as the lights came on!

For the record at one time I had 8 different speed tickets on my record from VA in a 3 year stretch!! I was bad back then, no speeding tickets on my record now

Ok... that is my last thread crap, but I have been pulled over more than 60 times if anyone else wants to start a best pulled over stories thread!! I have plenty! Lmao

Last edited:
DUI??? Try the most strict on every moving violation ever!! I mean I was going 140 plus on Rt. 66 one Christmas and an under cover Chevy Silerado state boy was nice enough to write the ticket for 90 in a 65... again one of my best presents ever... I thought I was racing a truck.... not a damn officer... but I think he enjoyed it too so he gave me a break!! Another one of my best presents ever!!

Still can't believe the ex's 97 4 banger accord would peg the needle! Honestly impressive... not even sure how fast were were going but we were pulling away from him finally.... just as the lights came on!

For the record at one time I had 8 different speed tickets on my record from VA in a 3 year stretch!! I was bad back then, no speeding tickets on my record now

Ok... that is my last thread crap, but I have been pulled over more than 60 times if anyone else wants to start a best pulled over stories thread!! I have plenty! Lmao

When MD drivers complain about getting speeding tickets in VA you always just gotta wait a few minutes for the story about them doing 140 in a 65...

....I mean I was going 140 plus on Rt. 66 one Christmas and an under cover Chevy Silerado state boy was nice enough to write the ticket for 90 in a 65... again one of my best presents ever... I thought I was racing a truck....
Right -- a Silverado catching up at 140+. Sure, Ben. What were you driving?

As to the OP, that brings up the same possibly relevant point: what were you driving? If you were driving a fast or sporty car, you're a lot less likely to get any sympathy from a judge.

My contribution to the story-telling:

In 1968, I came home to NJ from being stationed in Germany. I was on a month's leave at my parents' house near New Brunswick, and had to drive to Fort Dix to get paid. So of course I had my nice pale yellow Alfa Romeo Duetto/Spyder flat out on the Turnpike headed south. I mean, who wouldn't, right?

Anyway, the state trooper was pretty decent, writing up the way-triple-digit ticket, until I asked him when the court date would be. He replied that it would be sometime the following month. I told him sorry, but I wouldn't be able to make it. He wasn't real happy to hear that, and with an edge to his voice, asked why that was.

I told him because I was leaving the next week for Vietnam -- whereupon he crumpled up the ticket, shoved it in his pocket, asked me to hold the speed down, said good luck, and left.

When MD drivers complain about getting speeding tickets in VA you always just gotta wait a few minutes for the story about them doing 140 in a 65...
The worst thing about I95 in rural Virginia (and possibly North Carolina) tickets used to be that for anything significantly over the limit, you don't just get a ticket -- you get hauled before a magistrate, right then and there.

Been there, done that...

Oh, and VA also has this thing called "Reckless by Speed" for anything iirc 20 or more over the limit. Insurance companies really don't like "reckless by speed".

I found that out one night when I was driving home from Atlanta to NJ, cruising around midnight up I85 in my sweet black '88 Pontiac Fiero GT at around 110, steady speed, right lane, not another car visible anywhere in either direction. I swear, that trooper came out of my trunk.

Last edited:
I remember driving with a friend to catch the ferry home for Christmas in my old Integra, I was probably going 135kph/85mph in a 100/65 zone highway, nobody else on the generally very straight road that I could see for the majority of the trip. Patrol car passes me on the right, no flashing lights/siren, obviously heading somewhere really fast because he passed me like I was standing still. That would have been an expensive ticket (plus insurance penalty points) had I been clocked and pulled over.

As to the OP, that brings up the same possibly relevant point: what were you driving?
A 2002 station wagon lol when he said what I was going I was honestly impressed my car hit that so smoothly at that speed lol
I told him because I was leaving the next week for Vietnam -- whereupon he crumpled up the ticket, shoved it in his pocket, asked me to hold the speed down, said good luck, and left.
The only reasonable thing to do. Thanks for serving, and thanks for being so helpful on this site. Similar thing happened to my buddy from middle school about two years ago—got yoinked in Westchester on his way home before deploying, asked the trooper when he’d have to appear and after hearing the date, said “unfortunately I will be in a submarine off the coast of North Korea.” Cop immediately handed back the license and registration and wished him the best.

...Patrol car passes me on the right, no flashing lights/siren, obviously heading somewhere really fast because he passed me like I was standing still...
He must have been late for meeting his buddies at the Timho’s.

(Edit: Translation for non-Canucks: Timho’s is shorthand for Tim Horton’s, Canada’s version of Dunkin Donuts)

Right -- a Silverado catching up at 140+. Sure, Ben. What were you driving?

As to the OP, that brings up the same possibly relevant point: what were you driving? If you were driving a fast or sporty car, you're a lot less likely to get any sympathy from a judge.

My contribution to the story-telling:

In 1968, I came home to NJ from being stationed in Germany. I was on a month's leave at my parents' house near New Brunswick, and had to drive to Fort Dix to get paid. So of course I had my nice pale yellow Alfa Romeo Duetto/Spyder flat out on the Turnpike headed south. I mean, who wouldn't, right?

Anyway, the state trooper was pretty decent, writing up the way-triple-digit ticket, until I asked him when the court date would be. He replied that it would be sometime the following month. I told him sorry, but I wouldn't be able to make it. He wasn't real happy to hear that, and with an edge to his voice, asked why that was.

I looked up the 97 accord it says 115 mph TS... maybe it was 110... it was plenty and I remember my brother saying go faster and it was pegged and floored!! I was more than happy with the 90 mph ticket.

He must have been late for meeting his buddies at the Timho’s.

(Edit: Translation for non-Canucks: Timho’s is shorthand for Tim Horton’s, Canada’s version of Dunkin Donuts)

Well, when I was working in the local hospital in Comox, I rented a place two blocks away from the local donut shop (huge parking lot). Every time I passed by I could always see a patrol car there, no matter what time of day or evening.

Last time I drove through Montana there were only like 21 state troopers in the whole state, and the ticket was a flat $5, regardless of speed, payable in cash at the roadside. Then again, the posted speed limit was basically “whatever conditions allow,” and you wouldn’t get pulled over regardless of speed unless conditions required a slower speed (like, an ice storm).

You haven’t lived until you’ve driven a raggedy ragtop Jeep Wrangler with an AM/FM-only radio through Montana at 95mph.

When last I worked in law enforcement (2015), all offenses from other states appeared on your driving record, so yes, the information is shared with your home state. Since the "point system" differs from state to state, you would be assessed the number of points your home state would give you for the same offense.

Best advice -- Read both sides of the ticket carefully. Follow the instructions to take the ticket to court. Tell the prosecutor you realize you were over the limit, that your conduct that day was an aberration, that you have an otherwise-good driving record and are a safe driver. Offer your excuse -- IBS, urgent need to reach a restroom, etc. Let him or her know you are here to request leniency to save your license and see what they can do. Ask for their help.

Be prepared to pay a fine, and offer to take a safe driving class that your state / DMV accepts.

You may get that offer to plead guilty to a no-points violation, or a greatly reduced speed with fewer points, or even a "first offense" program by any of several names -- "probation before judgement," etc., where you pay the fine and they put an entry on your driving record that goes away in a year as long as you get no new tickets. Many states have this type of resolution, but I'm not sure about New Jersey, a state notoriously strict about moving violations.

Two things to remember: If you take a "first offense" program and agree that you won't get any more tickets for a year, DON'T. If you do, you'll really be screwed; and 2) Your insurance company is still going to raise your rates.

For the record (after reading some of the comments here:)
I went to more violent domestics than the number of tickets I wrote
I always reduced the driver's speed down to 9 over;
I did not eat a donut for 25 years, but I did buy coffee at those donut shops... and bagels, usually because they were the only places open in the middle of the night. I often wondered how many cops had coffee and a donut for their last meal.

Last edited:
Last time I drove through Montana there were only like 21 state troopers in the whole state, and the ticket was a flat $5, regardless of speed, payable in cash at the roadside. Then again, the posted speed limit was basically “whatever conditions allow,” and you wouldn’t get pulled over regardless of speed unless conditions required a slower speed (like, an ice storm).
Those were the days.

Two things to remember: If you take a "first offense" program and agree that you won't get any more tickets for a year, DON'T. If you do, you'll really be screwed; and 2) Your insurance company is still going to raise your rates.
Yup. I’m just hoping I can knock it down to a much lesser violation so the hit isn’t that bad :(

Best speeding story I have is getting pulled over on highway 93 north of Kingman AZ. I was on my way to Phoenix from Vegas in a rented 2007 Nissan 350Z. It was a beautiful day, could see for miles in front of me, my girlfriend at the time was like let’s see what this thing can do.
I put the peddle to the floor and within about a minutes time, the digital speedometer in the center of the dash was reading 148mph. Only reason I let off the gas at that point is because way up ahead I could see traffic in both lanes. I just let the car ease back down and when I approached the vehicles ahead we were traveling at about 80.
Literally 5 minutes later an unmarked Crown Vic eased in behind me and turned on his grill lights. I literally felt my heart drop to my asshole. When we stopped and the trooper approached the car he says, “do you know why I stopped you?” Thinking I’m going to be in handcuffs shortly I just said “oh yeah, I know why.” The trooper literally took a couple steps back from the car and looked it up and down and says, “you know you can’t be doing 80 in a 65 even if your driving something like this.” My inner emotions just all at once came out me at that point in the form of nervous laughter. Then he proceeds to ask me if I rented it at the airport which I replied yes. He then asks what the daily rate on it was and I bursted out in another spurt of uncontrolled laughter.
He then takes my license back to his car and returns shortly with what I thought was a ticket and says he’s going to give me a warning for today but please keep it under 80 for the rest of my trip. He explains that the reason for the written warning is to document why he had me pulled over on the side of the road for more than 10 minutes.
I must admit, that day was the closest day I ever came to shitting on some leather seats. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I have a few stories like this...
My worst one was a long time ago, I was 16, on my provisional license... me driving 1 person over 21 in the front seat, 3 people in the back seat, and 2 or 3 just sitting in the rear trunk area of the escape I had then. The entire car was filled with beer cans and liquor bottles, all of us had open containers. I was on the backside of Frederick, heading towards the big regal cinemas. Late at night probably around 10pm, and we've all been drinking for awhile, heading to the liquor store. I'm not paying any attention to the speed I'm going, nobody is on the road. We're cruising, goofing off, I look up in the rearview and see police lights. My heart plummets, I immediately think I'm going to jail, and everyone hides as much alcohol as we can. Officer comes up to the window, with an apprentice or junior officer right behind him. I roll down my window, he asks me if I know how fast I was going... I said no sir I don't I'm sorry I know it was too fast. He looks around the car for a second and replies about 65mph. This is a 25mph zone, drivers license and registration please. I hand him my things and he walks away.
The only person over 21 says he'll drive the car back and take everyone home if it comes to that.
A few minutes later the officer returns, hands me my things and a folded piece of paper. He says, this is a warning, I cant legally write you a ticket because I didn't clock you on my radar. Please slow it down, have a nice night, and walks back to his car.
I was in complete and utter disbelief, as I thought for sure I was going to jail that night.

When I was a kid, my family used to drive occasionally from NJ to Detroit to visit friends. In those days, you'd drive on the PA Turnpike at 70 or so to the Ohio border, where you'd see the Ohio Turnpike speed signs that said simply "Drive Accordingly".

When I was a kid, my family used to drive occasionally from NJ to Detroit to visit friends. In those days, you'd drive on the PA Turnpike at 70 or so to the Ohio border, where you'd see the Ohio Turnpike speed signs that said simply "Drive Accordingly".
The couple times I’ve driven through Ohio to go visit @detroitdad and the Michigan crew, I’ll be driving in the 75-80 range and it seems that I’m constantly getting my doors blown off.
I always thought Ohio issued a person the death penalty for speeding Larry? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I’ve always tried to take it easy through there. What is Ohio’s definition of “Driving Accordingly?”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom