Newbie from Texas (1 Viewer)

JackDTupp

Waiting List
Reaction score
Howdy All. I have a set of ceramics that are about 15 years old. I've been on the hunt for new chips and just stumbled across JustinCarothers greek and webmolds which really have me intrigued. Up until now i was leaning towards either something like Milanos or something like the Majestic/Bank/Empire/Penthouse line. But now I see i have some more research to do. LOL. Chips have come a long way!
Cheers!

Ha! I needed a distraction from my wine and Japanese chef knife buying compulsions.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Welcome from a fellow Texan. I’m sorry to say that this addiction may cost you more than the others!

Ha! I needed a distraction from my wine and Japanese chef knife buying compulsions.

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Also landed here after a big wine-buying binge. It is no safer here.....

Also landed here after a big wine-buying binge. It is no safer here.....
I'm Definitely in a wine buying lull as accumulation has greatly exceeded consumption and storage capacity. On the bright side, poker chips are smaller and easier to store.

I don’t have 16 sets of chef knives… chips however…
Not sets and i'm afraid to actually count but for sure i have more than 16 chef knives. Only two poker chip sets: One old ceramic and one very old plastic dice thats been on long term loan to a buddy.

Welcome! Care to share some of your favorite knives? I like to cook and have some nicer knives, but nothing collectible or considered high end. I just have some global and shun knives.

Welcome! Care to share some of your favorite knives? I like to cook and have some nicer knives, but nothing collectible or considered high end. I just have some global and shun knives.
I have a few shun although they are paring and utility knives. Not chef. Pic below is the bulk of the collection (some more cheapies ordered off eBay not shown). About half were ordered directly from Japan long enough ago that the brand/knife maker eludes me.
knives.jpg

Welcome! I personally prefer ceramics to cc, but realize that may be an unpopular opinion.

I have a few shun although they are paring and utility knives. Not chef. Pic below is the bulk of the collection (some more cheapies ordered off eBay not shown). About half were ordered directly from Japan long enough ago that the brand/knife maker eludes me.
View attachment 1296595
That's quite a collection! What would you say would be one of the best bang for the buck for someone who cooks a lot? Usability and durability in relation to cost.

Oh and random gif the Hattori made me think of

hattori hanzo.gif

Thanks
That's quite a collection! What would you say would be one of the best bang for the buck for someone who cooks a lot? Usability and durability in relation to cost.

Oh and random gif the Hattori made me think of

View attachment 1296624

Its so hard to make recommendations as everybody's personal preferences are so different. 25 years ago I thought i had to have Henkels and Wusthof. But I hated the knives. They always seems heavy and clunky. Thick blades that seemed to split hard food like carrots (like and axe with firewood) rather than cut. I tried a thinner blade Japanese knife and loved it. Although they can get too thin as well. Knife second from the left is so thin i'm afraid i will damage it when I cut anything remotely stout. So there are a lot of factors:
  • Thinner Japanese style blade vs thicker western style blade
  • japanese style handle vs western style handle
  • steel type. In general high carbon (which is more durable, sharper, and easier to sharpen but requires more care as it will rust) or stainless steel. But there are so many options plus damascus and cladding.
  • knife shape
  • knife length
  • cost
I guess if I was forced to make an entry level Japanese knife reco i'd go with Tojiro. They're easy to find (lots on Amazon), won't break the bank, have a good variety and have a good reputation so a good start. But if you really want to dive in deep there are chef knife forums where people geek out on chef knives at least as much as folks do here on poker chips. Also, if there is a quality knife shop in Austin its always good to go in and handle the knives to see which ones feel right to you. They usually let you try them out in the store too. Rodriguez Butcher Supply in San Antonio is a good option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom