Tourney New to hosting tourneys - Just a few questions (1 Viewer)

Frednizer

Pair
Reaction score
Hello all,

Started hosting cash games this year with a lot of success. I plan on doing my first tournament in the next few weeks and am gearing up for it. I will most likely have between 15-20 players and have browsed the forums for ideas on stack sizes and stakes.
I like the idea of 20 min blinds, starting at 50-100 but the starting stack is a question for me. I am doing the research that's needed but wanted to clarify something first.
What does the term T25 mean is that the lowest starting chip you have? If this has been asked repeatedly I apologize and wouldn't mind being directed to a larger thread.

Thanks

T25 just means 25 chips, same way $25 means 25 dollars. But in tournaments it’s just chips not money so we say T5, T25, T100, etc. if you have T25 as your smallest chip then you’d likely want to start at 25/50 instead of 50/100 but really it’s up to you and your group to figure out what works. There are plenty of guides on here to help you out based on what you have for chips, how many players, how long you want it to last. In my game I use T5 as my smallest chip with stacks of 10/10/7/3 for 2,500 total chips. A basic T25 game might have 12/12/5/6 for 10,000 chips.

Terms like T25 and T100 refer to the smallest denomination used to start the tourney.

So T25 typically begins with blinds of 25/50 and T100 with 100/200.

The size of your starting stacks and blind structures are tools you can use to alter the length of the tourney.

If very shallow with fast blinds, you get a much quicker game, even if you allow unlimited rebuys. Very deep with slow blinds gives you the opposite.

I haven’t hosted tourneys in a while, but iirc I generally gave players about 150 big blinds, allowing one rebuy before the break, with a modest add-on available at that break. That was 7,500 at T25, 30K at T100.

I also offered an on-time bonus worth another ~20BB, which really helped to get people to show up before the official start time.

My blinds were set for the tourney to end in about 5 hours, with most players busted sooner so we could start a cash table…

Yes, the lowest starting chip

Because it’s T25 not $25. If someone stole it from your tournament they can’t bring it back to a cash game because it’s not ($25) twenty five dollars it’s (T25) twenty tournement points

Why points instead lf just use dollars? Because you aren’t playing for cash, you are playing for a place in the tournament that comes with a cash prize. You can give out bonus points etc.

I stopped with the tourneys because the bust outs are invariably inconsistent and waiting for a cash game blows.

Cash is King…

All it takes is for two players to bust to start a cash game...

(My guys would generally play for lower stakes until the table got up to five, just for fun.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom