New Poker Table (4 Viewers)

Darthhoodie

Flush
Reaction score
So there was a "not mine" thread about a week ago for a poker table at Walmart for $99.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/good-spare-table.25546/

The table looks bad, but it is well constructed and is on par with poker tables that cost about $200-$300.
The only real drawback is that it is heavy and does not have any handles.
O and the hideous and unplayable felt top. Here are some pictures on how I replaced the top felt with SSC.
If I can do it, anyone looking at this will be more than capable of doing the same.

table_brown.JPG

middle graphic.JPG

Really ugly graphic in the middle of the table. The felt is actually felt and creates a lot of friction with the cards.
The felt is also very loose to the table so without much work you can create a large wrinkle.

wrinkle.JPG

Lucky for me the construction of this table lends to an easy resurfacing.

The rails come off with just a few screws.

rail screw.JPG
rail screw 2.JPG

hinge.JPG

The rails came off easy, there is a small amount of glue to deal with but its no bad.

1st pad off.JPG

1st pad off 2.JPG

Lucky for me the felt was not glued to the foam.

felt not glued tro foam.JPG

I numbered the rails just to be safe.

number the rail to be safe.JPG

After a few more screws the table was apart.

unhinge.JPG

in pieces.JPG

I will spare you my substandard upholstery work.

less than steller apostery.JPG

one side done.JPG

It was a bit of a pain to put the legs back on, but at this point I am more than a few beers in so that "may" have been the problem.

Done!!!

done.JPG

close up.JPG

done2.JPG

So $106 shipped + $24 speed cloth (cheep amazon stuff) = $130 foldable poker table. Not too shabby!!!

I thought the fold in the middle would cause a problem, but the cards fly right over it no problem at all.

Last edited:
Nice! I'm guessing it would not be much more of a job to drill out the table so that full-depth cupholders could be inserted after the table is set up?

You could get probably do it without taking the table apart. Just pull the cup holders out and drill.

After seeing this I think I’m going to throw some speed cloth on mine

Oh wow...I think I'm going to have to try to do this with mine. Did you epoxy down the SSC as you spread it?

I was already thinking of taking a hole saw to the cup-holders and making them full sized.

Did you epoxy down the SSC as you spread it?
Epoxy! Ack!! :eek:

Probably don't need any adhesive at all, but if so, use a very light coating of spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 or Hi-Strength 90, both work well. Probably don't even need to remove the existing felt, if recovering with SSC. Just pull tight and staple the new cloth underneath the table.

Haha, I meant something like a 3M spray adhesive....wrong words!

Looks very nice! I have the same table and will be doing something similar to it soon. Just a few questions. Did you take off the old felt or just put the new SSC over it? Did you use a staple gun and/or adhesive to hold it down to the table? If so what adhesive did you use?

I completely removed the old felt, but you could probably get away with going right over the old stuff.
You probably can get away with not removing the legs as well. I just wanted a clean install ( plus I like taking things apart).

I didn't use any spray adhesive, and the cloth is very tight to the table. If you pull tight and staple you shouldn't need any adhesive.
The other reason I didn't want to use adhesive is that I want the option to change out the cloth in the future without having to replace the foam.
I get bored quickly and I may want a different color down the road. Having to replace the foam will add time and money.

I may drill full size cup holders in the very near future. As @Slick51o stated, this can be done without removing the rails.
The other thing this table really needs is some type of handle. You could drill some handles to the side of the table, but i don't think the sides can hold the weight of the table.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking about just stapling a strip of leather to the side, but am not confident it would hold very long. The table is pretty heavy.

Maybe if you put some eyelets and used wood screws? But I wasn't planning on carrying it by the handle. It just seems that if there was something on the side on one of the curves, it would be easier to get off the ground and help hold on at the top once you've picked it up. I think you would still want to carry most of the weight at the bottom.

Right now I have just been grabbing it on both sides to get it off the ground and then getting a hand underneath or rotating the table so I have one hand on the top and one on the bottom.

Another idea would to be to get some straps. Put the table on top of them and then use the two ends like a handle

I completely removed the old felt, but you could probably get away with going right over the old stuff.
You probably can get away with not removing the legs as well. I just wanted a clean install ( plus I like taking things apart).

I didn't use any spray adhesive, and the cloth is very tight to the table. If you pull tight and staple you shouldn't need any adhesive.
The other reason I didn't want to use adhesive is that I want the option to change out the cloth in the future without having to replace the foam.
I get bored quickly and I may want a different color down the road. Having to replace the foam will add time and money.

I may drill full size cup holders in the very near future. As @Slick51o stated, this can be done without removing the rails.
The other thing this table really needs is some type of handle. You could drill some handles to the side of the table, but i don't think the sides can hold the weight of the table.

Any suggestions?
Lol, yeah I end up rolling the table from my storage space to the garage most of the time.

Looks very nice! I have the same table and will be doing something similar to it soon. Just a few questions. Did you take off the old felt or just put the new SSC over it? Did you use a staple gun and/or adhesive to hold it down to the table? If so what adhesive did you use?

Part of the reason I didn't just go over the existing felt was that it is not stapled or glued to the table at all. This creates a very loose feel. The fact that they didn't staple the felt down to the table allowed for large wrinkles to form on the table top, which is completely unacceptable. It made more sense to remove the old stuff completely.

Inked1st pad off 2_LI a.jpg
Inkedfelt not glued tro foam_LI a.jpg

Inkedwrinkle_LIa.jpg

Looks really good! For anybody else thinking about going this route, consider upgrading to a piano hinge with screws as long as possible. It's easy to put a huge amount of stress on those connections by putting elbow weight on the middle of the rail.

@Jonesey07 I think that's it. The cloth is thick and durable and the cards slide very well, the only drawback is that the print is a little off. Look closely at the suits, they are a little off. It doesn't bother me since this was a budget table but I can see that it may bother some. Good luck!!

@Jonesey07 I think that's it. The cloth is thick and durable and the cards slide very well, the only drawback is that the print is a little off. Look closely at the suits, they are a little off. It doesn't bother me since this was a budget table but I can see that it may bother some. Good luck!!

What did you use to secure the cloth to the table?

Staple gun. I wish I took some picks of that process but I am not the best at upholstery work. The final result is good but getting there is a bit of a struggle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom