Nevermind. (2 Viewers)

Awesome! I would jump on this if I hadn’t just had inlay design completed. Really cool of you!

Don't be discouraged. Just keep making cool designs and people will reach out. If no one takes you up on it, maybe reevaluate your price offerings? But it'll probably take a bit of patience to get started. Once you have a few successful projects under your belt though, people will start reaching out. Chippers are always looking for design help around here.

Don't be discouraged. Just keep making cool designs and people will reach out. If no one takes you up on it, maybe reevaluate your price offerings? But it'll probably take a bit of patience to get started. Once you have a few successful projects under your belt though, people will start reaching out. Chippers are always looking for design help around here.
No, the wife won't let me fork over $125 for a vendor account. And I was warned about advertising and not being an official vendor. I am new and didn't read the rules.

One issue may be your inexperience in designing chip art. Experienced graphic designer or no, it is a specialized art form with several medium-specific limitations (i.e., not all chip art is the same).

You are unaware of those limitations and best practices, which affect image sizing, stroke sizing, detail resolution, and bleed requirements -- which vary by vendor, materials used, and manufacturing process..... not to mention that a 3/4" to 1-1/2" canvas needs to be legible and readable from 3 to 4 feet away.

It's not as easy as it might appear at first glance. Many great art designs -- viewed independently -- totally suck when attempted as poker chip art.

Resolution and image size shouldn't have too much of an affect on it though right? I mean they're vector images. That's the point of vectors.
dunes_50_cents.jpg

Look at the font on the dunes...would you be able to read that fine print from 4ft. away?

Resolution and image size shouldn't have too much of an affect on it though right? I mean they're vector images. That's the point of vectors.
View attachment 489318
Look at the font on the dunes...would you be able to read that fine print from 4ft. away?
Visibility isn't an issue so much as print quality, some vendors can only print so much detail, your art has so much detail it would just look gray with some printers. Not that your designs are bad, the art is amazing, but it's too detailed.

Visibility isn't an issue so much as print quality, some vendors can only print so much detail, your art has so much detail it would just look gray with some printers. Not that your designs are bad, the art is amazing, but it's too detailed.
I would want whatever inlay surface that Dunes chip has then. Yeah?

I would want whatever inlay surface that Dunes chip has then. Yeah?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but the inlay surface changes chip to chip, clay, plastic, ceramic, they're all different, and then the printer itself changes manufacturer to manufacturer, a good indicator is printing your own on a piece of paper to scale, but even then, it's not 100% accurate.

I guess I just don't understand how anyone can look at a Nevada Jack and then say this, for instance:
View attachment 489336
...won't translate onto a poker chip inlay.
It might, I'm not sure how detailed CPC can get chips, the inlay's great, and that's my favorite design from you yet, just the print quality might not be good enough. You could ask someone who has detailed CPC customs, or better yet, @David Spragg would know. Nevada jacks are ceramics, so the quality might not translate.

I guess I just don't understand how anyone can look at a Nevada Jack and then say this, for instance:
View attachment 489336
...won't translate onto a poker chip inlay.
Perfect example of what I referred to earlier.

That design violates a couple of limitations for that particular print medium and manufacturer.

You simply don't know what you don't know.

Not to mention that nobody here is playing with chips worth 1/4th of a penny. You have lots to learn, glasshopper.

I like your designs, and although you are new here I wouldn't be discouraged by the naysayers. Maybe you could order some of your designs as sample labels from @Gear to get a feel for what is printing well.

Perhaps not, but 1/5c chips are more flexible than 1/4c chips, at the expense of being slightly less efficient.

Point being, making a .25c chip is a common rookie chip designer mistake.

I can't stand denoms with a period and a cent sign
That was just an error on my part. I was originally going to leave it .25 then I found a cent symbol, because unfortunately my virtual keyboard doesn't have one. So I ctrl c&v the symbol and forgot to remove the decimal. Did it to another design too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom