Nanuk 930 Chip Case (9 Viewers)

Can’t go wrong with Nanuk and the 920 should work wonderfully. However, I will reiterate that the 910 will hold 800 chips in uncovered racks quite securely with room for two decks and lammers.

599A7B67-6CC7-4D36-B765-6FE6D7AE67FB.jpeg

Thanks guys!:)
It seems I 'll go with the Nanuk 920
The only reason I 'm examining top-notch brands (instead of Apache equivalents in Europe, which I already have) is that I 've got a very close childhood friend coming from the US and willing to carry one for me. Otherwise, shipping and Customs make the already more expensive North American brands totally prohibitive.

Some info on 920 prices:
1599176000529.png

Currently $95.96, as low as $79 in May and $70 in October last year for the black one. The silver one is currently $210 on Amazon! Crazy variation.

Make sure you get the shoulder strap as well: https://www.amazon.com/Nanuk-Adjustable-Cushioning-Messenger-Briefcases/dp/B003JH7Y8W

Can’t go wrong with Nanuk and the 920 should work wonderfully. However, I will reiterate that the 910 will hold 800 chips in uncovered racks quite securely with room for two decks and lammers.

View attachment 526489
Sure, and it's an interesting alternative, but why do away with an integral safety feature (the foam) of an expensive case?

Beyond that, I think the 910's virtue (I have one and love it) is exactly to make you carry less chips, and hence less weight.
Chip quantity rather than case weight is the key issue when it comes to total weight and mobility.
So, I use my 910 as my high-mobility case, for travel purposes, alternating the contents according to needs and mood.

Some info on 920 prices:
View attachment 526499

Currently $95.96, as low as $79 in May and $70 in October last year for the black one. The silver one is currently $210 on Amazon! Crazy variation.

Make sure you get the shoulder strap as well: https://www.amazon.com/Nanuk-Adjustable-Cushioning-Messenger-Briefcases/dp/B003JH7Y8W
https://www.hardcases.ca/products/nanuk-920?variant=102229122

$130 regardless of color, from the source (?)

My 910 is silver, so I thought about a yellow 920. :)

Here’s what I did for my Nanuk 920

For 8 racks, keep the thin layer of foam padding on the bottom. Take each of the two layers of heavy foam padding and cut out the center, leaving one row of cells (there’s a thick outer ring with lots of pre-cut cells in the middle) on each of the sides and back, but to the thick ring on the front (handle side).

FE410BA2-408B-42B8-9CBA-8549E0EB47C8.jpeg

The three layers of foam.

87EECC81-2F16-4748-BC73-26A16A1AE9EC.jpeg

Thick outside row at top, showing one layer of pre-cut cells remaining.

C9FC6E26-92D5-4CB9-943A-346557D042DA.jpeg

Showing how it comes together. Thin foam on bottom. Two thick layers cut. Racks stacked with and additional row of upside down racks on top to secure things. From this view, top, right, and bottom have one row of cells in addition to the thick outer row. The left was cut back to the outer row.

Note- I didn’t cut extra width for cards & buttons. I’ll likely only use 7 racks at a time and lay the cards and bottons where the 8th goes.

Search the Amazon Warehouse regularly for one off cases. There is one olive Nanuk 915 a for $50 delivered right now (or without the foam for $40!) I’ve purchased four via the Amazon Warehouse and all have been in perfect condition - three of four in original boxes.

9B9C42E7-0B80-4F2F-991B-2677C52B7BA1.jpeg

DC548B4F-6B03-44A3-9BA4-5F51916B968E.jpeg

Hello, does anybody have an idea how many chips can fit in a Nanuk 920? Would be using Matsui racks to put in the case.
Many thanks

Not sure how big Matsui racks are. I get a comfortable 800 in with a bit of extra foam that could be removed if needed.

Not sure how big Matsui racks are. I get a comfortable 800 in with a bit of extra foam that could be removed if needed.
Thanks for the info, i’ll send pictures once the case has arrived :)

Interesting I came in here today assuming that a pelican was the way to go I have never heard of these Nanuk

So it's basically just lighter and latches better and looks better than a pelican?

Interesting I came in here today assuming that a pelican was the way to go I have never heard of these Nanuk

So it's basically just lighter and latches better and looks better than a pelican?
Yes, and top quality.
Still, overkill for chips, if you 're not ever getting them in aircraft, ship or train cargo holds.
The much cheaper American-offered brand (Chinese-made, I 'm sure) Apache, at lower insulation standards (IP65 instead of IP67) might be a better option for just home storage and transport in your own vehicle.
Different sizes offered by each brand do matter, also :)

Thanks yeah I just can't imagine that it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to get a nice case that didn't have that level of protection

Anyone know what one of these full with like 800 chips ways?

Pelican has some low weight options, the Pelican Air stuff for instance.

I have Pelican cases for another hobby of mine that involves very expensive hand painted miniatures that can be extremely fragile. When(pre covid), I fly with these miniatures I pack them in a Pelican that's bigger than the size of my rolling suitcase. I check it when I fly. I've traveled internationally with it, no problems. To test it out I put some somewhat fragile minis in it and threw it off my deck. No problem. I also, in a pinch, can sit on it.

But here is the difference, with the Pelican and the miniatures I'm protecting them quite a bit and they can be pretty big. With the cases for chips you are mostly just moving them around and the goal is to stop them from coming out along with keeping them organized.

I think Pelicans would be a huge overkill for moving chips and wouldn't suggest it. Go Apache/Nanuk that you cut out foam, if for some reason you are flying with it, into the apache/versa and then throw that in your suitcase. Not actually traveling, just going down the block maybe Versa is a better option.

Also, like, just to move them from the closet to the table, maybe look at a soft bag of some kind.

23 lbs isn't that bad but it is heavy for its size and how you are holding it. In the wrong kind of case it can start to become an issue. Like pick up a 25 lb weight, no worries. But put a crappy handle on it... now hold it in one hand away from your body(like if your chips are in a bird cage), and walk half a mile. You probably won't be super happy about the experience.

Yeah I used to play Warhammer and originally got into foam cut cases that way.

Why would the Pelican specifically be Overkill? I thought it was very similar to the Nanuk and the one i have fits my set perfectly, but i need one for a new 800 set
20201202_143840.jpg

Yeah I used to play Warhammer and originally got into foam cut cases that way.

Why would the Pelican specifically be Overkill? I thought it was very similar to the Nanuk and the one i have fits my set perfectly, but i need one for a new 800 setView attachment 584701
It's just the cost. If you've got the Pelican already, go for it, but the pelicans will just cost more and you aren't really getting value for the money.

I have a stiff smaller BF bag that I'm probably going to start using for stuff around town because it has a nice shoulder strap and should support trays really well. But I wouldn't buy that case for those chips, I just happen to have it already.

Okay thanks. Definitely not planning on transporting these by hand long-distance but that's a good point about the weight.

I'm actually not a fan of the pelican clasps anyway so if the nanuk is the common recommendation I'll check it

I am curious is it the norm to stack the racks on top of each other? I would feel like the chips would get a significant amount more where if they are jiggling around with a whole rack of chips on top of them, but I might not have tried stacking racks recently...

Okay thanks. Definitely not planning on transporting these by hand long-distance but that's a good point about the weight.

I'm actually not a fan of the pelican clasps anyway so if the nanuk is the common recommendation I'll check it
You can’t go wrong with the Nanuk cases! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom