Nanuk 910 = 400 chip perfection (1 Viewer)

Not sure which is more addictive, Nanuk cases or poker chips?! I now have two Nanuk 910's and only one set of poker chips. I couldn't resist a lime green Nanuk. They are so well designed - they even stack/semi-lock together for stability.

Also, I wanted to create a custom 400 chip carrier for the poker nights that I don't need to bring 800 chips (most nights!)

I started with another Amazon Warehouse find which was the Nanuk 910 for DJI Mavic Air drone case --> https://www.nanuk.com/nanuk-media-910-mavic-air.php?lang=lang-en

The bottom foam insert was pre-cut for a drone, but with a nice enhancement to the foam as it has a finished, stiffer top layer that looks a bit better and fits more flush to the sides than the raw foam, see pictures. Of course, I immediately cannibalized the drone compartments. A single-edge razor blade works perfectly. I used my own thin foam beneath both the top and bottom foam that was provided and cut a channel in the top and bottom foam where the double rack was to be situated. I also added support foam pieces (adhered with rubber cement) under the bottom section as chips are much heavier than a drone.

I really like the result, one double stacked rack, two single stack racks, and one roomy area for cards, buttons, card protectors, etc. All chips are nice and tight when closed. Another example of 400 chip case perfection. It's just a great case, easily modded to fit up to 800 chips.

Carrying weight is 14 lbs. for 400 chips down from 23 lbs. for the 800 chip load.

Nanuk 910 400 chips 1.jpg
Nanuk 910 400 chips 2.jpg
Nanuk 910 400 chips 3.jpg
Nanuk 910 400 chips 5.jpg

Nanuk 910 400 chips 4.jpg Nanuk 910 400 DJI pre-cut.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for some recommendations on fitting 600 chips a dealer puck and two decks.

Can you not stack 2 racks high on this? Can you only fit the chips on their side?

Looking for some recommendations on fitting 600 chips a dealer puck and two decks. Can you not stack 2 racks high on this?

6 Matsui racks fit on their side. It's kind of a pain, but I keep them together with a rubber band on each rack. Works for me.

Looking for some recommendations on fitting 600 chips a dealer puck and two decks.

Can you not stack 2 racks high on this? Can you only fit the chips on their side?
You can certainly use regular racks to accommodate 600 chips with plenty of room for several decks and dealer buttons.

See attached example - 600 chips in standard racks (two double stacked, two single stacked), six decks of cards, dealer/blind buttons, card protector & room to spare. This case is good for up to 800 chips with accessories.

Nanuk 910 600 chips.jpg

Thank you guys, tempted by the olive one for sure. Just thinking that I may want a case where I can lay the chips properly for the eye candy :). I'll probably do the nanuk though, that's a great price and very portable.

Is it an issue to store chips on their side like that for a long time?

Last edited:
Just thinking that I may want a case where I can lay the chips properly for the eye candy :).

Update: PCF member tested, does not fit six racks due to side protrusions

And I thought I was particular! This one should do it, two racks by three racks all horizontally stacked only one high with room for cards, etc., the Nanuk 923 --> https://www.nanuk.com/nanuk-923.php

One rack is 8.25" by 3.125", so two across by three high would be 16.50" by 9.375". Just should fit with room for extras.

Interior dimensions (L x W x H): 16.6″ x 11.3″ x H5.4″
Exterior dimensions (L x W x H): 18.6" x 14.4" x 6.3"

Amazon has one in warehouse for $79.21 --> https://www.amazon.com/Nanuk-Waterproof-Hard-Case-Insert/dp/B01MTNICAV/

Eye candy for sure.

P.S. It could also go up to 12 racks total with double stacked racks, it has the depth. It would weigh close to 35 lbs.

Last edited:
Thank you @BirdCage , that is pretty much exactly what I wanted. I should've realized how much of a monster this thing would be though hahaha. I'm gonna try and decide between the 910 and this beast!

Thank you @BirdCage , that is pretty much exactly what I wanted. I should've realized how much of a monster this thing would be though hahaha. I'm gonna try and decide between the 910 and this beast!
You are welcome. Actually, if cost isn't the biggest issue, I'd try the Nanuk 923. It's only about 4" wider, 3" taller and 1.5" deeper. Really not that big overall - just heavy if you load with 1200 chips.

I went with the 923 for now, got the warehouse deal @BirdCage listed, thanks again also to @liftapint @Darson I will post pics once it's all done, maybe I'll even make a custom foam who knows.

Should regular racks be ok, or is it better to get ones with cover? Was thinking of the Paulson ones from Apache.

Last edited:
Show us some pics :). I was going to do the 2 across 3 down setup and leave some room by the handle for cards and buttons.

This thread has me convinced to try out a Nanuk case. I saw a Nanuk 920 in the warehouse deal section for $66 and ordered it (olive in color). Need it to hold about 700-800 chips with 6 on Paulson chip trays and 1-2 racks in Matsui rack/cases.

Fyi I went with the Nanuk 923 at first, and it doesn't appear you can fit two racks side by side without removing all the foam altogether, and even then they don't appear to fit. The case was also very large and heavy.

I just got the 910 that @Darson linked above (thank you), and it is considerably smaller and lighter. I'm just going to do 6 bud Jones boxes on their side. Only I can't find any bud Jones boxes for now lol.

That's too bad. Maybe if another member picks one up they can post a pic with the best fit possible, it'd be interesting to see.

Also, for sure you can fit up to eight standard racks in the 910 without foam - until you locate those Bud Jones boxes.

Last edited:
I already returned the 623 unfortunately, and I was using mycasebuilder to test out possible configurations, and I don't think it was working.

Wow, www.mycasebuilder.com is a nice site! I see what you mean. Hopefully, someone else can test out the Nanuk 923 to see what is possible - the interior protrusions must prevent the use of the full width.

Last edited:
Yea it's basically the protrusions that made me give up on it. I also did want some foam around the edges and that wasn't possible.

Has anyone tried Matsui covered racks in these cases? Curious about the fit. I guess if I knew the deminsions compared to the bud jones I’d have a pretty good idea, but always nice to see an actual pic!

@Darson @liftapint , I see that people have tried up to six Matsui racks in their sides, but what about four Matsui racks upright and next to each other like in the OP? Will they fit? Also, how is it carrying it with the weight of 600 and 500 chips? 600 seems like it would get uncomfortable relatively quickly, while 500 more manageable and 400 being no inconvenience.

Last edited:
Just got my Nanuk 920 and it’s just about perfect for my purpose. Holds 600 39mm chips and 100 43mm chips in a Matsui rack with room for a deck of cards and dealer buttons. I have to place racks on top of the 39 mm chip stacks to keep them in place. I think if I glued some extra foam on the top foam it may work without the extra racks.

15A0F0D9-D76B-44DA-B521-5DFB9417E53E.jpeg

2051FEF6-8D70-4FF2-B228-2D097D7D85C1.jpeg

0288958A-9598-4BB8-B861-A8CE74240DA3.jpeg

How is it to walk around with?
For me it isn’t bad at all. I don’t know the exact weight but I can weigh it when I get home later. I only carry it from the house to the car and in to the place we play.

it is much lighter than my Apache 4800 which holds 800 chips and two sets of cards. The Apache alone weighs a few more pounds than the Nanuk 920.

So is this the one that you guys are looking at that will hold 600 chips? You just take out and arrange the foam to customize for different chip racks is that it?

https://www.amazon.com/Nanuk-Professional-Military-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B00BP8UPNS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2YH00R2P6QU4T&keywords=nanuk+910&qid=1583091946&sprefix=nanuk,aps,143&sr=8-4
That’s the right case but I’m not sure if that comes with the foam. There’s a few options for the case; with cube foam, no foam or with custom foam.
I think this is the link with cubed foam. Seems the lime green is the only one left that’s $45

Nanuk 910 Waterproof Hard Case with Foam Insert - Lime https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BP8URV8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mqbxEb9AKGAJW

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom