Mystery black scum appears?! (1 Viewer)

inca911

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this mystery black scum appear on their chips? I pulled part of my LCO set off the basement shelf and used them in last night’s live session. When re-racking them after the game, I noticed that 3/500 LCO $5 chips had this scum on the edges. These chips were all previously ultrasonically cleaned, with the edges lightly oiled with pure mineral oil, with excess oil removed with a paper towel. I really doubt I missed cleaning the scum the first time. It also doesn’t seem likely that this was introduced on the chips at the game. The storage area is in a non-humid finished basement, with chips in clean racks, placed in a birdcage that is on a shelf three feet high. The scum was thick enough to be scraped off by a fingernail, and was removed completely with a magic eraser. I’m befuddled, please share if you’ve seen this! :eek:

4A60BB00-110F-402C-AB06-2E7AAB95FA0D.jpeg
265403A5-9094-4E93-B063-C525C2BA51B8.jpeg
7892449C-4C73-44CB-9B7C-B8BBB8C563A0.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought some roulette chips a while back. They had a strange black substance on them.
I thought it was mold, but was nearly impossible to remove. conclusion: hooker juice
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0706 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Can you pick the scum off?

If so my guess is they were just missed first time around of cleaning. No way that much HJ could build up over a short period of time unless your players are sludge oil worker.

Or you have a really bad black mold problem wherever they are stored......

Yeah, I'd first check all of the racks in which they were previously stored. Barring finding something there that was introduced during storage, I'd guess it was added during play somehow. Fudge brownies, somebody picking their nose/ass, who knows. Did it have any kind of smell?

Yeah, I'd first check all of the racks in which they were previously stored. Barring finding something there that was introduced during storage, I'd guess it was added during play somehow. Fudge brownies, somebody picking their nose/ass, who knows. Did it have any kind of smell?
Yummy!

Thanks for the thoughts. Racks are clean, and the scum didn’t smell like anything. It was only three individual chips, so if it were mold then maybe a localized colony? Really bizarre, as my finished basement hasn’t had any water/mold issues. House was built about 17 years ago. I can’t imaging missing the scum during hand oiling the edges. Maybe I skipped a barrel? I think the final conclusion is that it’s a mystery....

Last edited:
It would be pretty odd to have mold on just the chips, and not on the racks they were stored in. It almost looks like tar. What was served during the game?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom