My Sticker Mule labeling experience (1 Viewer)

I do not, but I always assumed it was waay less than 8.3 mil - which seems incredibly thick.
For my chips, both Lucky Bees and 12 stripes, they flushed up with the inlay pretty nicely. Almost feels like there is no inlay now. I don't know what the inlay depth is on a chip. Does anyone else know?

So since they only print laminated labels, wil chips need to be milled or inlay removed for RHC? Or will label over work with existing inlays? I don’t want spinners

@allforcharity can you clarify whether you were answering the first question or the second? I have these labels in mind for an RHC over-label project that @timinater is currently working on the design for.

tl;dr will these labels work as an over label?

@allforcharity can you clarify whether you were answering the first question or the second? I have these labels in mind for an RHC over-label project that @timinater is currently working on the design for.

tl;dr will these labels work as an over label?

In most cases, overlabeling with a laminated chip will most likely lead to spinner city. Remove an inlay or mill a hotstamp first.

Or use an unlaminated vinyl sticker! Gear sells them, and they're cheaper than the laminated ones. You can also make your own; Amazon sells vinyl sticker sheets - cutting them to the right size is a separate challenge, though.

But they're thin enough to use as overlabels.

I have an hotstamp milling and an inlay removal project in the works and would be willing to buy a few of these and see how they work feel and depth wise. Not going to do it super soon, but I can for sure do it.

So they are able to do 7/8" cutouts at least, right? Like I get the sticker can't be smaller than that total, but they can make it so that that's the size of the final piece?

OK, I will admit that I do make my own labels. I have nothing against gear, I have used him in the past, but making my own allows me unlimited prototyping and super fast (overnight) turn around times (+ I can make whatever I want).

In addition to a printer, the only thing you need to make your own labels is a vinyl cutter. I would recommend a GCC model with enhanced AAS (the vinyl printing term for "creating labels" is "contour cutting").

For the printable vinyl most of the "premium" vinyl is 100 microns (5.5 mills) thick. Yes, you can get thinner/cheaper printable vinyl. I would suspect gears un laminated labels are 5.5 mills thick. (FWIW I use Oracal 1917)

I know most of the people here are familiar with gears "lamination" options but in the vinyl sign industry you generally are looking for how much abrasion & UV protection (none to multi year) in addition to finish (gloss or matte).

In the Oracal line, the "cheap" laminates (they are less expensive) have the least durability (to abrasion & UV)

Oracal Oraguard 236 - 1 year UV, 2.5 mil thick
Oracal Oraguard 210 - 2 year UV, 2.5 mil thick (I use this at a min)
Oracal Oraguard 215 - 5 year outdoor UV, 2.75 mil thick

and there are higher end options from here (they have 8 year laminates).

OK, so a 5.5 mil label with even the thinnest laminate, 2.5 mil is 8 mil total; therefore 8.3 mil sounds reasonable. I would be more concerned with what label of abrasion / UV protection their labels offer.

For example, I don't think gear would make me these.
Chips.png

Last edited:
OK, I will admit that I do make my own labels. I have nothing against gear, I have used him in the past, but making my own allows me unlimited prototyping and super fast (overnight) turn around times (+ I can make whatever I want).

In addition to a printer, the only thing you need to make your own labels is a vinyl cutter. I would recommend a GCC model with enhanced AAS (the vinyl printing term for "creating labels" is "contour cutting").

For the printable vinyl most of the "premium" vinyl is 100 microns (5.5 mills) thick. Yes, you can get thinner/cheaper printable vinyl. I would suspect gears un laminated labels are 5.5 mills thick. (FWIW I use Oracal 1917)

I know most of the people here are familiar with gears "lamination" options but in the vinyl sign industry you generally are looking for how much abrasion & UV protection (none to multi year) in addition to finish (gloss or matte).

In the Oracal line, the "cheap" laminates (they are less expensive) have the least durability (to abrasion & UV)

OK, so a 5.5 mil label with even the thinnest laminate, 2.5 mil is 8 mil total; therefore 8.3 mil sounds reasonable. I would be more concerned with what label of abrasion / UV protection their labels offer.

For example, I don't think gear would make me these.
View attachment 698874

so are you saying you’re a vendor now?? Pm coming Lol

so are you saying you’re a vendor now?? Pm coming Lol

Sorry, but no; no one would like my prices :).

If I didn't need some labels for a friends gift, when gear was booked, I would have never spent the time puzzeling this out in the first place. I was just trying to answer the "how thick" questions and let people know that printing labels is something that can be done yourself (especially since I gave a lot of the necessary information above).

Sorry, but no; no one would like my prices :).

If I didn't need some labels for a friends gift, when gear was booked, I would have never spent the time puzzeling this out in the first place. I was just trying to answer the "how thick" questions and let people know that printing labels is something that can be done yourself (especially since I gave a lot of the necessary information above).
I think we all know. I was just kidding. But you labels look great

Thank you for a logical, clear explanation. But having grown up on 3mil comic book bags, this still sounds crazy thick. I now have a new appreciation for all those milled chips I see that look like they can take a super thick label - maybe they can just take a "regular thickness" label. :unsure:

Just finished a test with the sample pack!

Short version: These stickers are awesome for inlay-removed or murdered chips. I would not use them for overlabels for fear of spinners and wobbly stacks.

90F4FBC5-8312-4862-A970-CBA7C31F8B89.jpeg

I tried both the normal laminated sticker, and the “wall graphics” sticker that feels like it has a similar thickness but a slightly textured finish. I don’t have a micrometer or calipers, so everything was by feel. I’m also not sure if they would die-cut or offer circular labels for the smaller diameter (~22mm) of the inlay on the murdered HSI1a or Jack $1, versus the larger area (~26mm or 1”) on the Sheraton. Please share if you have a different experience.

L to R: (1) murdered RHC Sheraton with wall art sticker (2) Sheraton with laminated sticker (3) HSI 1a overlabel (4) murdered HSI1a with wall art (5) murdered THC Jack Cincy with wall art.

(1) This came out really well, and the textured finish is a better final look than the regular laminate IMO. No issues with spinners - I could feel a slight difference in height between the chip and the label. 10/10

(2) See #1. 9/10, just a notch below the textured finish IMO, but that’s a personal preference.

(3) I think spinners and wobbly stacks could be a problem with these, but YMMV. I wouldn’t recommend it, but proceed with caution if you do. Also note that you can see the inlay through the white sticker. 0/10

(4) Same as #1. 10/10

(5) I noticed that a gouge from murdering this chip shows through, and catches the light just a bit. A non-chipper would never know, and it’s only noticeable upon close inspection. I’ll give this application 7/10 but with a better job removing the inlay without gouging or scraping the chip surface it would be an easy 10/10 as Nos. 1 and 3.

I’m also not sure if they would die-cut or offer circular labels for the smaller diameter (~22mm) of the inlay on the murdered HSI1a or Jack $1, versus the larger area (~26mm or 1”) on the Sheraton.
I was curious about this so I asked the questions below, and got the italicized answers. Their customer service is really fantastic - I've gotten detailed responses very quickly!

Questions
-are 22mm circles possible?
-could you do 22 or 26mm circles on the “wall graphic” stock specifically?
-What would be the cheapest pricing on these options?

Answers
There are a few differences between our labels and our wall graphics:
  • Labels are made with a thinner BOPP film with a luster finish, feature a permanent adhesive, can be in sheets or rolls, and are often used for packaging, on bottles, etc.
  • Wall graphics are made with fabric-like vinyl, feature a removable adhesive, are individually cut, and should only be used indoors and applied to smooth and clean surfaces.
You can find pricing for all the products you mentioned compared below:

I'm really enjoying the research, thanks for all the useful information. Trying to figure out some likely labeling projects. I have some of the HSI 1a chips and notice that the purple inlays do show through (my own) thin white labels - we might have to print colored labels for those chips.

I was curious about this so I asked the questions below, and got the italicized answers. Their customer service is really fantastic - I've gotten detailed responses very quickly!

Questions

Answers
  • Labels are made with a thinner BOPP film with a luster finish, feature a permanent adhesive, can be in sheets or rolls, and are often used for packaging, on bottles, etc.
  • Wall graphics are made with fabric-like vinyl, feature a removable adhesive, are individually cut, and should only be used indoors and applied to smooth and clean surfaces.
Just want to point out about the pricing ... Do the custom sheet sizes on the sticker sheets. It's gonna be the best pricing. One sheet to fit all your denominations (total labels needed divided by ten) and only print 10 sheets. Email them and ask them what size sheet that would be. I did ask as I mentioned in the original post that a standard 500 chip set would require a 12"x12" sheet size to fit 100 labels. But apparently they can do any size you desire up to 24"x24"...
Btw I got my second batch of labels last week and still a very satisfied customer. Finally done with that obsession. Lol! All my chips are labeled.

Questions

Answers
Thanks for doing this. Did I miss where they answered if they could or could not do 22mm circles?

Just finished a test with the sample pack!

Short version: These stickers are awesome for inlay-removed or murdered chips. I would not use them for overlabels for fear of spinners and wobbly stacks.

View attachment 704201

I tried both the normal laminated sticker, and the “wall graphics” sticker that feels like it has a similar thickness but a slightly textured finish. I don’t have a micrometer or calipers, so everything was by feel. I’m also not sure if they would die-cut or offer circular labels for the smaller diameter (~22mm) of the inlay on the murdered HSI1a or Jack $1, versus the larger area (~26mm or 1”) on the Sheraton. Please share if you have a different experience.

L to R: (1) murdered RHC Sheraton with wall art sticker (2) Sheraton with laminated sticker (3) HSI 1a overlabel (4) murdered HSI1a with wall art (5) murdered THC Jack Cincy with wall art.

(1) This came out really well, and the textured finish is a better final look than the regular laminate IMO. No issues with spinners - I could feel a slight difference in height between the chip and the label. 10/10

(2) See #1. 9/10, just a notch below the textured finish IMO, but that’s a personal preference.

(3) I think spinners and wobbly stacks could be a problem with these, but YMMV. I wouldn’t recommend it, but proceed with caution if you do. Also note that you can see the inlay through the white sticker. 0/10

(4) Same as #1. 10/10

(5) I noticed that a gouge from murdering this chip shows through, and catches the light just a bit. A non-chipper would never know, and it’s only noticeable upon close inspection. I’ll give this application 7/10 but with a better job removing the inlay without gouging or scraping the chip surface it would be an easy 10/10 as Nos. 1 and 3.

For what it’s worth, if they can’t do 22mm I wanted to mention that I picked up the heavy duty 7/8” craft punch to do some home labels at one point. You can view the alignment on the underside for perfect cuts.

A0CA19E4-036A-4BC6-A18C-228B811D9436.jpeg

Sticker Mule said they cannot, but @danwmson has said it’s possible if you order custom sheets based on his correspondence with them.
Yes... From the email I got from customer service.... It's possible. You can read her entire email above... I shared it with you all.
SmartSelect_20210524-151745_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sticker Mule said they cannot, but @danwmson has said it’s possible if you order custom sheets based on his correspondence with them.
Yes... From the email I got from customer service.... It's possible. You can read her entire email above... I shared it with you all. View attachment 705262
It's just odd that they would say no, but then say sometimes, reach out to ask. I'm starting to put together my first low budget Paulson cash set, and I'm pretty sure I'll need 22mm for most if not all of them.

It's just odd that they would say no, but then say sometimes, reach out to ask. I'm starting to put together my first low budget Paulson cash set, and I'm pretty sure I'll need 22mm for most if not all of them.
From what I understand is they have sticker rolls and other standard sizes they offer (not smaller than 1"). The custom sheet option gives you way more options I think. Just email them and ask if you can do 22mm on sticker sheets I guess... They respond like super fast...

I have always had great success with Gear and will continue to go back to him. But I understand those that want a quick and certain turnaround particularly for a straightforward project. Print shops are a dime a dozen. Someone should just call, or go in and speak to, someone at their local print shop. Or just call around to other print shops found online and price out 22mm laminated stickers.

I have always had great success with Gear and will continue to go back to him. But I understand those that want a quick and certain turnaround particularly for a straightforward project. Print shops are a dime a dozen. Someone should just call, or go in and speak to, someone at their local print shop. Or just call around to other print shops found online and price out 22mm laminated stickers.
I realize Gear is awesome, but this thread is about Sticker Mule. Dan sent me samples of some of his labels, and they are REALLY NICE. And quite a bit cheaper than Gear, not to mention faster. So for those of us on a budget, they are a genuine option.

Just wanted to share my experience with Sticker Mule. I recently bought a set of 12 stripes and wanted to get labels custom printed for them. I went thru all the usual sites for custom poker chip labels etc, including gear ( he was just too overbooked btw). When I stumbled upon a custom sticker maker called Sticker Mule. They are not in the poker chip labeling business, but custom stickers for just about anything. Amazing reviews so I decided to email them. Within hours I received an email back. The customer service from these folks was absolutely amazing. From beginning to end actually. They had me sold from the first email. Just from the prompt service and kindness. She informed me yes they are vinyl labels that are then laminated. They cut the sticker to whatever you send them. It could be a sticker of Superman and they would cut around the pic. In other words I was convinced they would be centered labels in a circle verses printed on a circle which always leave room for error. I went ahead and ordered enough labels for the set I was trying to complete. The issue was they only let you order in quantities of 10. I only needed 25 sheets. But had to order 30.

When they arrived less than a week later, I was amazed of the quality. Freaking awesome. I can't say enough about them. Beautiful.
A few weeks went by and I wanted another batch for another set. This time on their website I noticed a different size that I didn't notice last time. Last time I ordered 8.5" x 11" and was limited a little. Anyways to make a too long story shorter... If you order their custom sticker sheet and click the custom size button, you can pick any size paper to print on. I emailed them and asked how large the paper would be for 100 1" circles... 12" x 12" is what they said. Ok so for 10 sheets of that would cost $97. With free shipping and will receive in less than 10 days... Vinyl, laminated... 1000 labels... For 500 chips... $97? That's less than 10¢ a label... I saved like $40 doing thier custom size sheets... The key is to get all the different labels on one sheet and only order 10 sheets.
Anyways... Just want to share my experience, and I can't say how happy I am with the entire experience with them. I love my labels. And I will really love my second set at an even cheaper price!!!
Top quality company. Check them out!
Which chips are these ? and how much did they cost?

Claysmith 12-stripe. (Budget chips)
$110 for 500 at The Poker Store .com with free shipping.
how is the quality of the chips ? do the stickers have bleeding witht the ink ? how fast do they ship also?

how is the quality of the chips ? do the stickers have bleeding witht the ink ? how fast do they ship also?
Average I suppose. There are plenty of reviews on them online. They are fine for me. I also bought the claysmith Milanos and like them better. I was on a budget. So I'm happy.
The stickers... No... No bleeding. Check out their website as well. Plenty of reviews and a few videos etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom