My Journey As A Professional Poker Player (50 Viewers)

I REALLY dig those tourney chips.

They're better than the ones Derby Lane or Hard Rock use for tourneys.

Also, some hands of note from last night:

Raise in LP with KJ off, guy on my immediate left calls. I put my hand up to block me seeing the flop and check dark to him while I watch him and let him know I'm not looking so I don't know if I hit but tell him I'm probably ahead. He checks.

Dealer brings the turn and I do the same again, this time he bets 5K. NOW I have to look...........flop was 58J rainbow, turn a King! Bingo bango bongo (thanks Mike Sexton), we got heeem! I checkraise to 15K and he thinks for a bit and calls. River is an offsuit 6 and I check, giving him rope to hang himself. He shoves all-in, I cover (had about 90K to his 60k to start the hand) and he flips over pocket 8's for the flopped set, argh!

We started with 30K and I see my stack dwindle down to 20K before I rebuild it to 110K and make the final two tables. One of the rebuild hands I get it all-in preflop with JJ and the bitchy reg is the only caller, so I state out loud "I hope you've got Tens!" and he flips over 8's and I'm like "that works too"..................

the flop comes KT8 and I hang my head in despair. The turn brings an Ace, so I have to hit a Jack or a Queen or I am WAMBOOZLED! (thanks Norman Chad!) and the Q hits the river and I'm just happy to be there.

Dealer brings the turn and I do the same again, this time he bets 5K. NOW I have to look...........flop was 58J rainbow, turn a King! Bingo bango bongo (thanks Mike Sexton), we got heeem! I checkraise to 15K and he thinks for a bit and calls. River is an offsuit 6 and I check, giving him rope to hang himself. He shoves all-in, I cover (had about 90K to his 60k to start the hand) and he flips over pocket 8's for the flopped set, argh!
If you play that straight forward, you might get away. Assuming you bet flop and he raises, you're going to at least consider a set. When you bet turn and he raises, suspicions are higher. When you check river and he shoves, can you fold?

If you play that straight forward, you might get away. Assuming you bet flop and he raises, you're going to at least consider a set. When you bet turn and he raises, suspicions are higher. When you check river and he shoves, can you fold?

There's no folding at Silks! Meh, it's a rebuy and the guy was kinda loose, so if I make it to the turn there and have him covered and there's rebuys I'm likely not getting away from it once I hit top two.

oooh, oooh! Just remembered my FAVORITE hand from last night!

Blinds are 300/600 and I've got a TAG image. I opt to raise in MP to 1500 with :9d::7d:

One caller and then another guy repops small to 4K. We both call

Flop :9h::9c::4s:

BINGO BANGO BONGO!

We both check and the guy bets 6K. I think for a bit and checkraise to 14K. I figure he'll think his overpair is good and I have a smaller pair he is ahead of and that I was just putting him on an AK type holding, so I might induce him to stack off here. Sure enough he shoves, I snap and he flips over KK. We dodge the 2-outer and send him to the rail after the rebuy period is over.

oooh, oooh! Just remembered my FAVORITE hand from last night!

Blinds are 300/600 and I've got a TAG image. I opt to raise in MP to 1500 with :9d::7d:

One caller and then another guy repops small to 4K. We both call

Flop :9h::9c::4s:

BINGO BANGO BONGO!

We both check and the guy bets 6K. I think for a bit and checkraise to 14K. I figure he'll think his overpair is good and I have a smaller pair he is ahead of and that I was just putting him on an AK type holding, so I might induce him to stack off here. Sure enough he shoves, I snap and he flips over KK. We dodge the 2-outer and send him to the rail after the rebuy period is over.
I know this situation well. I'm usually the guy with an over pair.

I know this situation well. I'm usually the guy with an over pair.

Me too, that's why I had to switch it up, can't play the nit card ALL the time

Also, kinda that guys fault, I raise from 600 to 1500 and there's a caller behind me and dude only reraised to 4K. Didn't protect his hand at all, but on that flop I'd be hard pressed to fold Kings in this tournament structure too

Congrats on the tourney cash. Just curious, why did you give away a tourney buy in to the guy who bubbled that refused to pay the bubble?

Edit...i think I misunderstood. It wasn't him who bubbled. Makes more sense, but still seems overly nice for a professional player.

Congrats on the tourney cash. Just curious, why did you give away a tourney buy in to the guy who bubbled that refused to pay the bubble?

Edit...i think I misunderstood. It wasn't him who bubbled. Makes more sense, but still seems overly nice for a professional player.

Because the world could use a little more kindness.

Don't get it twisted though, I'd still checkraise my grandmother

I just got a call from a buddy yesterday who gave me a story he heard about the Cubans again. At least one of them supposedly went in disguise to Best Bet Jacksonville and was using another players card to play on in the poker room.

Some players there confronted him and he admitted he had been banned but claimed he didn't cheat, and I guess one of the big dudes dragged him out of the poker room and beat the shit out of him, like kicked his teeth in and shit! I'm going to post in the poker facebook groups and see if anyone has more details on it, but karma's a bitch!

I just got a call from a buddy yesterday who gave me a story he heard about the Cubans again. At least one of them supposedly went in disguise to Best Bet Jacksonville and was using another players card to play on in the poker room.

Some players there confronted him and he admitted he had been banned but claimed he didn't cheat, and I guess one of the big dudes dragged him out of the poker room and beat the shit out of him, like kicked his teeth in and shit! I'm going to post in the poker facebook groups and see if anyone has more details on it, but karma's a bitch!
That's what happens. You think he'll learn his lesson when he gets out of the hospital?

Relevant discussion (NSFW LANGUAGE) begins at 56 seconds, if it doesn't start there automatically.

This is one of my favorite monologues in this movie.

I don't like Nicky Santoro's character because he's a murdering criminal piece of shit, but man, the way he deals with people who try to screw him over is admirable.

I can't condone violence, and stories like this tend to be exaggerated. That said, I hope that the lesson was learned. Sometimes a "timeout" is ineffective, and a more stern approach is required.

My biggest issue isn't with the Cuban beatdown. It's with the attacker, if they get away with it. The story encourages any poor loser with low morals to wait in the parking lot for you after the biggest win of your life, sending you to the hospital, penniless for the night.

Cheaters never think they will get caught. Ask nearly any inmate in prison, and almost all of them thought they could get away with their crime. The risk of a beatdown doesn't help. Everyone knew the mob used to run Vegas, yet there were still cheaters. The story of the ass-kicking won't discourage future "sandwich makers", but it may encourage more parking lot revenge.

Stay safe.

I can't condone violence, and stories like this tend to be exaggerated. That said, I hope that the lesson was learned. Sometimes a "timeout" is ineffective, and a more stern approach is required.

I mean, we're talking stealing probably hundreds of thousands from people over the span of time these guys have been cheating. There are some scary dudes who play poker, eventually you're going to cheat the wrong one.

That being said, I'm getting the story from someone who got the story from someone, so I don't know if it's true or the full details. But it is nice to think there was some punishment for their actions rather than just moving to a new location to run their schemes.

I mean, we're talking stealing probably hundreds of thousands from people over the span of time these guys have been cheating. There are some scary dudes who play poker, eventually you're going to cheat the wrong one.
Yep.

I'm not a fan of violence either, but it's hard to see how else to deal with cheats when there's no legal recourse. This is what happens when government decides that it's too much trouble to seek justice in certain areas. Eventually someone will take it into his own hands.

As to @Poker Zombie's points, these guys are scummy thieves who stole from a lot of people. There's a world of difference between someone going after a scummy thief and someone who's just a sore loser robbing the big winner in the parking lot. I'd stick around to help police build a case against the robber, but the vigilante who dealt with the cheat would probably get a pass from me. Even if he robbed the cheat in addition to beating him up.

Speaking of all this, aren't there laws against what these cheats did?

Last edited:
Yep.

I'm not a fan of violence either, but it's hard to see how else to deal with cheats when there's no legal recourse. This is what happens when government decides that it's too much trouble to seek justice in certain areas. Eventually someone will take it into his own hands.

As to @Poker Zombie's points, These guys are scummy thieves who stole from a lot of people. There's a world of difference between someone going after a scummy thief and someone who's just a sore loser robbing the big winner in the parking lot. I'd stick around to help police build a case against the robber, but the vigilante who dealt with the cheat would probably get a pass from me. Even if he robbed the cheat in addition to beating him up.

Speaking of all this, aren't there laws against what these cheats did?
Cubans right now:

https://memes.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a1ad11d4-d967-4c56-a49c-14417928f2b3

clap.gif

Played the $230 buyin, multiday 25k guaranteed at Silks. Figured with a 40k running at Derby Lane the tougher players would be there

Early on I chipped up nicely from starting stack and was crushing my table

Then with the BB at 400 and facing a couple of limpers I make it 2200 from the SB with :jd::jh:

I get FOUR callers and the flop comes :6c::9c::qd:

I lead for 6k, a short stack UTG+1 shoves for 17k total, folds to me. 11k more with a pot of 34k in it so I make the call. He has :jc::tc: and is roughly 57% to my 43% I believe, so def got right price to call. But the :kc: seals it and he doubles

Manage to survive my table and get moved to a new table, sitting on 40k with blinds at 500/1k with a 1k ante, avg about 60k

Table is mostly folding a lot. It folds to me in the Lojack and I raise to 3k with :as::5d:

Everyone folds to UTG, I missed he limped, thought he was a blind, he calls. Flop is :ac::9c::5c: and he leads into me for 5k.

I think and figure I'm ahead so rip my stack in. He looks visibly distraught, he has around 75k so it's half his stack, but then he says ok let's gamble and flips a chip in to call

I figure he has the Ace with a sidecard that's a club, but he turns over :jc::9h:

So he limps that UTG, calls a raise OOP with it, and then calls it off against an opponent who could have him drawing to 5 outs (the jacks or 9's remaining) because I could easily have Ax with the :kc: or :qc: here, HURR-DURR!

But unfortunately the drooler is rewarded as he binks clubs on the turn and river to send me home

Got a contractor at the house today so no poker, but back on the felt tmrw

20201028_194958.jpg
20201028_195850.jpg
20201028_200230.jpg
Screenshot_20201029-081047_Chrome.jpg

That being said, I'm getting the story from someone who got the story from someone, so I don't know if it's true or the full details.

My sources say what happened is that someone sent a very harsh tweet referencing the Cuban and a bunch of people at the table retweeted it. The Cuban left crying because the embarrassment and emotional pain.

My sources say what happened is that someone sent a very harsh tweet referencing the Cuban and a bunch of people at the table retweeted it. The Cuban left crying because the embarrassment and emotional pain.
Oh no, not embarrassment and emotional pain! Anything but that.

I'll happily take the money he and his friend stole in exchange for some temporary discomfort and an internet post that will be well forgotten in a year or two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom