My First Set and General Update (1 Viewer)

TriTaylor

Pair
Reaction score
During the initial stages of my introduction to PCF I made a commitment to myself to proceed slowly. I took my time with my mandatory posts, I didn’t even want to know what I was missing out on in the classifieds. I just lurked and googled a lot. Eventually I understood this relationship would have to take the next step, and this time the green light appeared in the form of a holiday sale. How could I afford not to?

Motto: I don’t choose my obsessions they choose me

Current Status: it’s complicated I’m working on 4 sets simultaneously

1st set: cash, HSI

118BE154-7011-44C5-BA8A-2F5779CF6398.jpeg

THIS SET just SHINES as the product of creating my first Paulson stew in a hurried fashion, I could afford a few chances seeing as how I don’t even really host cash games. This Set will be completed upon the arrival of 3 more barrels of 1’s & 5’s and one more barrel of 25’s. I suspect that now we will begin to play more cash games after tourney bust outs. My original thought was to buy a bunch of BF jacks to create it but then I realized I didn’t want to wait that long. For fracs I bought 2 different racks of solid, relabeled chips and I love them! While admittedly not putting a great deal of concern inti a frac solution initially, I feel that these 2 racks of mismatched but also very similar and quite attractive fracs along with to the mixture of MINT and used chips help to give my set great character. My plan is to afford all of the solids a $0.25 value regardless of the label.

MY MAIN PROJECT quickly evolved into finding a nice, quality tournament set. As much as I tried, I was unfortunately unable to find any path that brought me closer to the Aurora Stars. I can, however, see myself getting something …. nice. I prefer to have an abundance of chips for my tournaments, and although it’s even maybe common to run a full table T20,000 tourney with 400 chips, I’d prefer to do it with 900. The long and short of it is I’m currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new WTHC STT 400 chip set! If it arrives by Friday then I will be able to break it in on sat night. This set will very quickly evolve to a 600+ STT and then I can reassess and add to it at a more leisurely pace.

Admittedly I’m a brand wh… I mean appreciator … so 2 other projects just kinda popped up at once. I admit it—- I love anything that has WSOP on it. I also love a good sale. This resulted in the makings of a 36mm tourney set. My rationale for this is that it will function as my travel tourney set. That’s my excuse, a travel tourney set. It was originally going to be a 36mm ms sale item but something just happens when I see WSOP on a poker chip. So just today it evolved to a 36mm WSOP project. The 2nd additional project also involved WSOP chips, see you down the road.

Last edited:
Nice looking chips man. I wasn't chipping when the HSI's were going on sale here :cry:

Last edited:
Travel tourney set?? What's so wrong with a rotation of tourney sets? While I don't recommend 36mm as your primary go to set, I think they are awesome to mix into a rotation along with a 43mm set like @arch3r does to his players! Nothing like both ends of extremes! Haha

We had the option of going with the WSOP 36mm when the sale happened and while I agree WSOP on chips is awesome... I was really drawn to the colors of the non WSOP chips
20200703_113307.jpg

And don't worry about having projects, we all do. That's what keeps you always looking and chippin! While often I don't find a single chip for 3 months, I still check multiple times a day for pieces to many of our ongoing projects!

Definitely looks like you have the itch @TriTaylor ... we never played cash but shortly after joining the forum I found myself building an awesome set of cash chips which just kept getting bigger and bigger as I could find them. Eventually shedding a few un needed racks left us with
20210123_143114.jpg

To this day they have only been played twice and yet to get a $25 chip in play! But I still love them!

Enjoy the roller coaster ride of chipping sir! Definitely off to a good start!

Ben

Nice looking hips man. I wasn't chipping when the HSI's were going on sale here :cry:
I missed the initial chiproom sale as well, I ordered a used set from Apache and immediately doubled my order after receiving the first set. I went with plaques instead of the 1k and 5k chips. Probably should have considered the other direction re investment potential but as a playable set I prefer having a plaque for actual use. (they are fun) My HSI set has been steadily growing a little bit here and there. It looks like you have room to grow your set as well

Nice to finally see what those top hat and cane 25cent chips look like beside the primary 1-5-25 chips. I was looking at those online here for ages but never pulled the trigger. I have a 25 NCV tourney cinci HS chip that can play so it did not make sense for me to order another quarter and I am glad I didn't scoop the rack you did.

I missed the initial chiproom sale as well, I ordered a used set from Apache and immediately doubled my order after receiving the first set. I went with plaques instead of the 1k and 5k chips. Probably should have considered the other direction re investment potential but as a playable set I prefer having a plaque for actual use. (they are fun) My HSI set has been steadily growing a little bit here and there. It looks like you have room to grow your set as well

Nice to finally see what those top hat and cane 25cent chips look like beside the primary 1-5-25 chips. I was looking at those online here for ages but never pulled the trigger. I have a 25 NCV tourney cinci HS chip that can play so it did not make sense for me to order another quarter and I am glad I didn't scoop the rack you did.
I have yet to buy a set with plaques, the price tags are keeping me away:cry:. I don't think I can resist much longer, I should've got in on the Matsui Zen group buy (minimum posts required was 100 T>T). The chips and plaques in that set are stunning!

My set is always looking longingly and wishing that more friends would join it to fill the gaps when seeing all the fellow HSC NCV's dangled

EeZRIkD.jpg
Funny that I don't think we have seen the other 4 sets that were released (unless you have two accounted for there) the original breakdown was just awful as far as coloring up and rebuys. I did manage to grab some spare 500s and 5ks after the sale but those 1ks are nearly impossible to find. Super grateful for those that sold to me to help me get to two racks (still not perfect) but 5 of the original 10 sets... maybe there were only (400) of the 1ks to start with, doesn't seem like that would be true, but definitely never seen more of them in the wild!

Travel tourney set?? What's so wrong with a rotation of tourney sets? While I don't recommend 36mm as your primary go to set, I think they are awesome to mix into a rotation along with a 43mm set like @arch3r does to his players! Nothing like both ends of extremes! Haha
Nothing at all @Ben8257 but if I designate a project it’s sometimes the only nudge I need to give myself the green light to proceed. It’s like tricking myself that it’s ok, you know what I mean? :)

Last edited:
Funny that I don't think we have seen the other 4 sets that were released (unless you have two accounted for there) the original breakdown was just awful as far as coloring up and rebuys. I did manage to grab some spare 500s and 5ks after the sale but those 1ks are nearly impossible to find. Super grateful for those that sold to me to help me get to two racks (still not perfect) but 5 of the original 10 sets... maybe there were only (400) of the 1ks to start with, doesn't seem like that would be true, but definitely never seen more of them in the wild!

I bought 1 set from Apache and another set here after I sniped it in the background of someone's posting showing other things for sale. Initial breakdown was 200/200/40/40/20....now it is 320/320/110/90/40 so is very functional but a nice set is always good to grow.

While I don't recommend 36mm as your primary go to set, I think they are awesome to mix into a rotation along with a 43mm set like @arch3r does to his players!

LOL. They love hate me for it. I have 3 tourney sets, 36mm Cincy, 39mm THC custom Sideshow Poker and 43mm China Clay Royals. And they bitch about each of them. The 36mm too small and it's hard to read the denoms on the chips. The THCs are again hard to read the denoms and are not sharp edged, and the Royals are too big, smell a bit and don't fit in the racks ( yes I have players that play out of the racks, fucking heathens ). But they were all content and happy when all they knew was mismatched dice chips with funky demon values ( white $5, blue $10, red $20, black $100, green $500, orange $1000 - I mean WTF ).

So yea, I am trying to expose them to quality chips, but they are coming along kicking and screaming. UGH.

LOL. They love hate me for it. I have 3 tourney sets, 36mm Cincy, 39mm THC custom Sideshow Poker and 43mm China Clay Royals. And they bitch about each of them. The 36mm too small and it's hard to read the denoms on the chips. The THCs are again hard to read the denoms and are not sharp edged, and the Royals are too big, smell a bit and don't fit in the racks ( yes I have players that play out of the racks, fucking heathens ). But they were all content and happy when all they knew was mismatched dice chips with funky demon values ( white $5, blue $10, red $20, black $100, green $500, orange $1000 - I mean WTF ).

So yea, I am trying to expose them to quality chips, but they are coming along kicking and screaming. UGH.
You know what would get even with your friends? Splitting your Cinci set with Ben8257 and I......That would show em.....

I bought 1 set from Apache and another set here after I sniped it in the background of someone's posting showing other things for sale. Initial breakdown was 200/200/40/40/20....now it is 320/320/110/90/40 so is very functional but a nice set is always good to grow.
I don’t really do anything that isn’t grandiose.
My showcase ‘travel’ 36mm tourney set will be 1120 chips. 36mm 25/100/500/1K/5K
200/200/200/200/200. I plan to customize a rack of solid royal red 39mm Paulsons as 25K chips and I’m strongly considering using the barrel of WTHC bounty chips and relabeling then as 100K. They’re absolutely stunning chips and I feel like they would showstoppers for this set.

1638205567723.jpeg

1638206251896.jpeg

I plan for this entire set to live in an Apache 4800 case along with 3 additional racks of Nevada Jacks cash set and for the rest of my life I’ll have a party on stand by, I’ll just need to grab and go.

The 2nd set will be all 36mm, 900-1000 chips and my plan is for it to be the showcase tourney set for the lake house.

I don’t really do anything that isn’t grandiose.
My showcase ‘travel’ 36mm tourney set will be 1120 chips. 36mm 25/100/500/1K/5K
200/200/200/200/200. I plan to customize a rack of solid royal red 39mm Paulsons as 25K chips and I’m strongly considering using the barrel of WTHC bounty chips and relabeling then as 100K. They’re absolutely stunning chips and I feel like they would showstoppers for this set.

View attachment 818864
View attachment 818868

I plan for this entire set to live in an Apache 4800 case along with 3 additional racks of Nevada Jacks cash set and for the rest of my life I’ll have a party on stand by, I’ll just need to grab and go.

The 2nd set will be all 36mm, 900-1000 chips and my plan is for it to be the showcase tourney set for the lake house.
Guessing the 36mm's are from the recent MS sale? 200 of each seems like an odd breakdown. How are you planning on running them?

You know it's funny we all want 25k chips but in reality even with 20k starting stacks you really never need more than 5k chips... now if you want to run 50 or 100k games I can see it, but those are typically T100 or 500 based games, unless you are planning on playing for a Longgg time!

We have 25k chips in a few sets but really only needed if you are not strong in 1ks and 5ks.

You know what would get even with your friends? Splitting your Cinci set with Ben8257 and I......That would show em.....
His are beautiful WSOP version, not the same chips as ours. I seriously have no clue who else even owns the non wsop chips

You know it's funny we all want 25k chips but in reality even with 20k starting stacks you really never need more than 5k chips... now if you want to run 50 or 100k games I can see it, but those are typically T100 or 500 based games, unless you are planning on playing for a Longgg time!
5K is what I prefer and I am growing fond of T5 based 500-3000 tourneys as well. 5k with a t500 bonus for XYZ, unlimited rebuys till the first color up and an optional add on (value varies) is a wild rodeo of a game where wild aggressive play to build a stack is important even if reloading to do so. For 10k+ games I would prefer a freeze out single or two table game. Honestly I prefer to keep the numbers low enough that the beer goggles can still interpret them.
1s8sBF6.jpg

His are beautiful WSOP version, not the same chips as ours. I seriously have no clue who else even owns the non wsop chips
I believe @Gear is the holder of the rest of the 36mm Cinci's with a few lost to europe and jessica fletchers.

Last edited:
Guessing the 36mm's are from the recent MS sale? 200 of each seems like an odd breakdown. How are you planning on running them?

We have 25k chips in a few sets but really only needed if you are not strong in 1ks and 5ks.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/low-turnout-didn’t-ruin-home-tourney-night.82597/

I had to think fast in order to avoid disaster on sat night on account of a very poor home tourney turnout. The idea was an attempt to replicate the feel of a main event final table where everyone has mountains of chips. I set aside a minimal amount of chips for color ups and then divided everything else… resulting in T250k starting stacks. We then used the actual 2021 WSOP main event structure with 10 min rds starting with 200/400 blinds. We all had soooooo much fun. I kept getting texts all day yesterday from the handful of attendees about what a good time they had. It turns out it is so much fun to play with a mountain chips in front of you, to have the freedom of play unrestricted by stack size. We played 3 separate $10, winner take all tourneys of varying starting chip stacks between the hours of 5:30p - 11p. The mega stack experience was ground breaking for me and will definitely be incorporated in future events. I’ve already placed another order for an additional rack of Nevada Jack $5K as well as 15 more plaques.
1638208796452.jpeg

Last edited:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/low-turnout-didn’t-ruin-home-tourney-night.82597/

I had to think fast to avoid disaster on sat night because of a very poor home tourney turnout. The idea was to attempt to replicate the feel of a main event final table where everyone had mountains of chips. I set aside a minimal amount of chips for color ups and then divided everything else… we all had T250k starting stacks. We then used the actual 2021 WSOP main event structure with 10 min rds starting at 200/400 blinds. We all had soooooo much fun. I kept getting texts all day yesterday from the handful of attendees about what a good time they had. It turns out it is so much fun to play with a mountain chips in front of you and to have freedom to play without being restricted by uncomfortable stack size. We played 3 separate $10, winner take all tourneys between the hours of 5:30p - 11p. The experience was ground breaking to me and will definitely be incorporated in future events.

View attachment 818893
I have always wanted to play a game with Navada Jacks chips....years and years ago a fellow brought a set to the game back when we were using Cardinal Walmart Suits and unfortunately we had more players than that set could cover so it sat aside. Since then I have always wanted to just play a game with them as they are a very flashy set with now so many options. I think they were the first chips I had ever seen with denominations....They were Incredible!

I have always wanted to play a game with Navada Jacks chips....years and years ago a fellow brought a set to the game back when we were using Cardinal Walmart Suits and unfortunately we had more players than that set could cover so it sat aside. Since then I have always wanted to just play a game with them as they are a very flashy set with now so many options. I think they were the first chips I had ever seen with denominations....They were Incredible!
My chipper journey began in October when I ordered a complete tourney set of Tiki Kings but there was a bit of a production lag time. I don’t like to wait so I ordered the readily available set of Nevada Jacks as a stand in until the Tikis would arrive. I now prefer the Nevada Jacks lol. Also I’m currently off of work on temporary medical leave which will likely run into January so lately I’ve had alot of free time on my hands to peruse the classifieds.

Last edited:

I had to think fast to avoid disaster on sat night because of a very poor home tourney turnout. The idea was to attempt to replicate the feel of a main event final table where everyone has mountains of chips. I set aside a minimal amount of chips for color ups and then divided everything else… we all had T250k starting stacks. We then used the actual 2021 WSOP main event structure with 10 min rds starting at 200/400 blinds. We all had soooooo much fun. I kept getting texts all day yesterday from the handful of attendees about what a good time they had. It turns out it is so much fun to play with a mountain chips in front of you and to have freedom to play without being restricted by uncomfortable stack size. We played 3 separate $10, winner take all tourneys of varying starting chip stacks between the hours of 5:30p - 11p. The experience was ground breaking for me and will definitely be incorporated in future events. I’ve already placed another order for an additional rack of Nevada Jack $5K as well as 15 more plaques.
View attachment 818893
That's basically what we do for our home game. We run 20 minute rounds 15k startijg stacks for $10 buy ins. Lots of rebuys, we usually chop at 3 players and then the 3 buy everyone else back in (most of my family are well below the poverty line) we all love to play but seriously $10 can make a difference to them. Between @FordPickup92 we almost never loose our money, I would be happy to let them go home with some extra $$$ but they gotta earn it! Lol
20200222_183457.jpg

Notice my halfish sister at the other end almost displaying her hand to where I can see it on this end of the table! Lol but we all have fun.
Guess again. I’ve been hit with inspiration and sometimes this results in me getting a little to far out in front of my skis. As a great man once said, “ I yams what I yams.”
Well after earlier saying you love WSOP on chips (and honestly only a few 36mm sets out there) obviously we are talking Horseshoe WSOP chips, nice choice indeed.

I own a couple barrels of 1ks, a barrel if 25ks and some buy in chips (not in our set)
20211125_220823.jpg

The other barrel of yellows are in a tube not pictured.

Thinking of using the browns for quarters with this set
Screenshot_20211126-094143_Samsung Internet.jpg

If I can't find some more purples (definitely don't need $500s for a small cash set!) I guess we will see!

That's basically what we do for our home game. We run 20 minute rounds 15k startijg stacks for $10 buy ins. Lots of rebuys, we usually chop at 3 players and then the 3 buy everyone else back in (most of my family are well below the poverty line) we all love to play but seriously $10 can make a difference to them. Between @FordPickup92 we almost never loose our money, I would be happy to let them go home with some extra $$$ but they gotta earn it! Lol
View attachment 818911
Notice my halfish sister at the other end almost displaying her hand to where I can see it on this end of the table! Lol but we all have fun.
I LOVE this but I don’t know how to use any emoji other than like and smiley face.

View attachment 818911

Well after earlier saying you love WSOP on chips (and honestly only a few 36mm sets out there) obviously we are talking Horseshoe WSOP chips, nice choice indeed.

I own a couple barrels of 1ks, a barrel if 25ks and some buy in chips (not in our set)
View attachment 818915
The other barrel of yellows are in a tube not pictured.

View attachment 818917
If I can't find some more purples (definitely don't need $500s for a small cash set!) I guess we will see!

I have Cincinnati non-WSOP set that I can use for everything. I say can, because I have yet to use it. But I can use the 5’s as nickels when we play Michigan rummy with the kids. The 25’s as quarters for our horse racing game. Can play cash or a one table tourney. Plenty of versatility.

I feel the 36mm are a good value as many people don’t like them. I have a big 36mm WSOP set also, that is good for 4 tables. I am always looking to add on colors. I am hoping some people let go some of these new Majestic Star chips.

View attachment 819103
Were I a wealthier man i'd have amassed huge horse shoe sets from all of the casinos.....so far just two. I am thinking the future is bright in a way for chip availability given casino's changing out chips or closing due to economic issue/sales etc.. I can only hope...next time i'm going deep from the ground floor on horse shoes....
View attachment 818917
I bought one of those low sets too (didn't want to get greedy clicking two and being denied). The make for good monopoly money

I bought one of those low sets too (didn't want to get greedy clicking two and being denied). The make for good monopoly money
Great minds think alike! Haha

I just wanted to get something from the sale and a 36mm cash set to go with the tourney seems cool! Nothing special but at the same time pretty cool with bright colors. Looking forward to checking them out!

Great minds think alike! Haha

I just wanted to get something from the sale and a 36mm cash set to go with the tourney seems cool! Nothing special but at the same time pretty cool with bright colors. Looking forward to checking them out!
I did the same thing too. In fact the sale was the catalyst to my move from poker chip forum observer to participant.

I also bought a bunch of the Black Friday T25 & T100 WSOP Paulsons, enough to sort thru the bunch and select some good ones. These T500s arrived today courtesy of @PhillyB :

1638237873425.jpeg

My original idea was to create a whole set of these but then I realized the high demons are scarce and pricey so I went another direction. I’ll edit and share later, time for DEEP stack heads up match #2 ….

1638238051886.jpeg

T1M stacks

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom