My First Custom Set But Not My Last (1 Viewer)

TriSki5280

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I made a post on another thread how I ordered three custom chip sets after diving into the world of poker chips. I have received my first set which comes from ChipLab.com. I ordered their semi-custom clay chips. I really like the look and feel of these for the price and the speed at which they turned them around. It only took a couple of weeks to get these chips. I don’t think the inlay is a true inlay. I believe it is a vinyl sticker which works for me for this set since I went for more of a graphical look and there aren’t any denominations. Sets 2 and 3 are still being produced from other manufacturers. I know this doesn’t really rank high in the quality and sought after categories however for the price and speed of production I think they are pretty decent. This set is being used as part of our monthly club game which is usually 16 players so had to have a fairly good size quantity. All players have ties to the oil and gas industry in case you couldn’t tell. Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_5776.jpeg
    IMG_5776.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_5777.jpeg
    IMG_5777.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5778.jpeg
    IMG_5778.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_5779.jpeg
    IMG_5779.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5780.jpeg
    IMG_5780.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_5781.jpeg
    IMG_5781.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_5782.jpeg
    IMG_5782.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_5784.jpeg
    IMG_5784.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 266
Let me be the first in a long line of people to ask: What colors are used for what Denoms?

Also where are the photos of the table?!

I like the orange / 1k art!

Last edited:
Wait, what? I dig the different art, the moving ship and oil derricks… But I wonder how disruptive the inlays are as players spend brain cycles on figuring out the value.

Wait, what? I dig the different art, the moving ship and oil derricks… But I wonder how disruptive the inlays are as players spend brain cycles on figuring out the value.
The color relates to the denominations we have been playing with two years. Everyone has gotten used to it however I did take that into consideration so my second custom set has the denominations clearly on both sides.

The color relates to the denominations we have been playing with two years. Everyone has gotten used to it however I did take that into consideration so my second custom set has the denominations clearly on both sides.
If it works, then sweet!

Regarding your question about "inlays," you are correct. They are just stickers. And unfortunately, like many other vendors who claim to be selling clay chips, these are also not clay. They are injection molded plastic.

Congratulations on your first set

I just visited Chiplab and I think the price ($109 for 100 chips) is very pricey for 14g plastic chips

There are many other better options available for your future custom

Sunfly : for a similar price but higher quality plastic

BRPRO : for a slightly lower price but higher quality, they are ceramic

TINA : for a much lower price but lower quality compared to the other 2 yet better quality than Chiplap, they are ceramic (card Mold & No Mold)

I designed the label for my buddy's chiplab chips. I play with them on a weekly basis. IMO Chiplab chips are among the best slugged plastic chips out there. It's important to mention that the "gem mold" chips (which have a label inlay) seem far better than their other offerings which are direct print onto the chips. You chose well, the new 6 spot chips rock. 1000 gem mold chips comes in at .80 per chips and they frequently run 20% off, so .64 per chip. Not bad. These chips will serve you well for a long time.
I was about to order a set from them for myself but I found the most recent no mold ceramic group buy from Broken Arrow Cardroom Supply, a vendor here. I like the idea of not just getting a custom "inlay" design but I'm able to get my own colors and spot configurations on the chips as well.

As a first set and not knowing any different, we have been pretty pleased with them. They were running a special at the time and we did get a decent discount and free shipping. We also have a CPC set on order so maybe when those arrive that will ruin us and these will just get stuffed into a closet somewhere, but I doubt it. Since the club is made up primarily of folks in the Energy Industry, these are really fun to play with. They have a good weight and feel. These are ChipLab's "clay" version and have a little chalkiness to them that everyone seems to enjoy. We also received them very quickly which was another bonus. I think design, order and delivery was less than two weeks. Certainly won't be able to resell them ever but don't intend to. They serve their purpose for now. Really looking forward to our CPC set when it arrives!

Let me be the first in a long line of people to ask: What colors are used for what Denoms?

Also where are the photos of the table?!

I like the orange / 1k art!
These got shipped to my house so was able to take some photos before the club got their hands on them. Will see if I can get a table photo next time LOL

I designed the label for my buddy's chiplab chips. I play with them on a weekly basis. IMO Chiplab chips are among the best slugged plastic chips out there. It's important to mention that the "gem mold" chips (which have a label inlay) seem far better than their other offerings which are direct print onto the chips. You chose well, the new 6 spot chips rock. 1000 gem mold chips comes in at .80 per chips and they frequently run 20% off, so .64 per chip. Not bad. These chips will serve you well for a long time.
I was about to order a set from them for myself but I found the most recent no mold ceramic group buy from Broken Arrow Cardroom Supply, a vendor here. I like the idea of not just getting a custom "inlay" design but I'm able to get my own colors and spot configurations on the chips as well.
I'm going to guess that you have never handled Abbiati plastic chips...

I'm going to guess that you have never handled Abbiati plastic chips...
No, I haven't. I guess the same could be said for Bud Jones or Matsui. But aren't those at a much higher price point? Have you handled these Chiplab chips? They stack "like bricks" and are not that slippery, even when worn in. I did say "IMO" and you have voiced yours as well. Nothing wrong with that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom