My case builder (1 Viewer)

I have built two of these cases with mycasebuilder, and am in the process of designing my third. In fact, I have an unused case that was built to hold a 1000 chip set (with 200 43mm chip) that I would let go for cheap ( shipping is the killer). Anyways, happy to help answer any questions, just ask away.

Also, I don't know how much space you have between your cutouts but you'll probably want at least 7mm or so... if nothing else so you can easily get your fingertips in between the barrels for removal.

So 5mm is not enough, huh? I have to more accurately measure my footprint, but I may be on the hunt for a new case.
Ammon Can layout.png

Ammon Can layout.3D.png

What would your minimum spacing be on the edges? Its the same 5mm... Maybe less.

Around the perimeter 5 mm is probably fine since you've got the edges of the case also supporting the foam. I usually design them with a little more room if possible - in our wood cases there's a lip built in to secure the lid in place so a little extra space in the foam in needed.

I can't remember if I went 5 or 7 mm on mine. I can measure when I get home. Mine works perfectly fine though.

So I figured I'd do my review in here where it began. When my wife surprised me with the set of royals chips from Apache I had zero storage for 43mm chips. So I set out in a journey.

I looked at several options. Harbor freight Apache cases, regular pelican cases but those solutions required me to have racks for the chips, which I also didn't have. So after some research I saw that a few people on here had used mycasebuilder to build custom cut foam in cases for travel storage. Now I had a 1500 piece set, and we regularly run 25+ people sometimes upwards of 40 so I use my sets. So after a lot of deliberation which you can revisit above I settled on a firearms case for an AR-15.

The case
View attachment 337669

I designed the cutouts in mycasebuilder software to fit 20 prebuilt starting stacks and 32 slots to fit an additional 800 chips. The design in the computer is in previous posts the final results are below.
View attachment 337672

It came out amazing. I chose the PE foam which is a closed cell stiffer foam. I had to meticulously measure a ton of barrels of chips kinda got a running average and that's the numbers I went with. I choose a depth of 25mm. (My only regret, more on that later)

My measurements were on the money.

Filling of the case
View attachment 337679
View attachment 337682
View attachment 337684
View attachment 337685
View attachment 337686
View attachment 337687

The case fully loaded weighs in at exactly 45 pounds. Which is 1 pound more than my fully loaded AR range case.
20190913_165733-jpg.337688

The foam is snug and fits the chips perfect. Like amazingly perfect. The only slot that's tight is the one for the plaques which I originally measured for just 1 plaque but it will fit 2 they're just tight. I also have a prominent spot for my beloved ND card guard. At least the newest version of it.

The only regret is I wish I had cut the chips about 5 mm deeper. The only reason being it is tight to close the case. That's something that I know from personal experience with firearms will ease as the foam breaks in but right now it takes a ton of effort to close the case.

I know the weight wouldn't be ideal for someone slight of build, but being a large guy it's not much at all, and the longer case seems to balance the weight easier.

There's no doubt I would and probably will use this service again. Maybe not for as large of a set though. The case with the custom foam, shipping and the insurance of a recut of the foam ran 130 or so, I can dig up exact numbers if needed. That also includes the case obviously. There are many cases that are budget friendly that could easily fit a 500-1000 piece set.

Bottom line, A+ service and quality. I'd for sure recommend them for a unique storage/travel solution for chips. If anyone wants any additional information feel free to ask!

I found this exact same case on Amazon for 30 bucks, how's it holding up? How much was just the foam?

When I get ready to build one would you be able to help me out with some of the measurements you already have for the lid and bottom area? Thinking I'll want to do 1 or 2 cases of 1500 chips by the barrel (43mm) plus a dealer button and card setup slot if possible.

I found this exact same case on Amazon for 30 bucks, how's it holding up? How much was just the foam?

When I get ready to build one would you be able to help me out with some of the measurements you already have for the lid and bottom area? Thinking I'll want to do 1 or 2 cases of 1500 chips by the barrel (43mm) plus a dealer button and card setup slot if possible.
Yeah I can help you out, from what I remember though the foam wasn't much less than the 2 together. The only thing I can say is that if you get them both together through mycasebuilder they glue the foam down in place to keep it from shifting and if you get them separately you'll have to do that on your own.

I could have done cards on their side in mine but a setup laying flat wouldn't have fit. If that helps at all. Also it's heavy. I'm a big guy so it doesn't bother me but like my wife can't hardly move it. Something to think about. Mine has held up great. I'd for sure get the chip depth deeper though, makes it easier to close.

Yeah I can help you out, from what I remember though the foam wasn't much less than the 2 together. The only thing I can say is that if you get them both together through mycasebuilder they glue the foam down in place to keep it from shifting and if you get them separately you'll have to do that on your own.

I could have done cards on their side in mine but a setup laying flat wouldn't have fit. If that helps at all. Also it's heavy. I'm a big guy so it doesn't bother me but like my wife can't hardly move it. Something to think about. Mine has held up great. I'd for sure get the chip depth deeper though, makes it easier to close.

Get both what? They sell the case too?

Mine was like 130 total and that was with the insurance for a recut if things didn't fit. So if you didn't get that I think it would be 115-120.

Is it sad that I think that's shockingly cheap in a good way? I was thinking it would be 150 just for foam lol. 100 percent going this route now

I mean hell that's way cheaper than 15 racks and 2 bird cages honestly and makes a pretty cool display when not on the go.

I mean hell that's way cheaper than 15 racks and 2 bird cages honestly and makes a pretty cool display when not on the go.
I absolutely agree. If you're going smaller like under 1000 pieces you can get them really cheap. I really wanna get one for my PNYs but it's hard to justify it when I already have the racks.

Once I decide on my next tourney set I'm gonna get another one for sure. I have a ton of racks already. I like how unique this is. Everytime I show up to our tourney games I get tons of questions and compliments.

If you're a firearms owner like I am they make excellent gun cases too. Good customer service as well.

I absolutely agree. If you're going smaller like under 1000 pieces you can get them really cheap. I really wanna get one for my PNYs but it's hard to justify it when I already have the racks.

Once I decide on my next tourney set I'm gonna get another one for sure. I have a ton of racks already. I like how unique this is. Everytime I show up to our tourney games I get tons of questions and compliments.

If you're a firearms owner like I am they make excellent gun cases too. Good customer service as well.

In that case maybe I'll do 1x 1500 and 1x 1000

Did you just cut the moss to make the horsehoe design? It really looks great

So I figured I'd do my review in here where it began. When my wife surprised me with the set of royals chips from Apache I had zero storage for 43mm chips. So I set out in a journey.

I looked at several options. Harbor freight Apache cases, regular pelican cases but those solutions required me to have racks for the chips, which I also didn't have. So after some research I saw that a few people on here had used mycasebuilder to build custom cut foam in cases for travel storage. Now I had a 1500 piece set, and we regularly run 25+ people sometimes upwards of 40 so I use my sets. So after a lot of deliberation which you can revisit above I settled on a firearms case for an AR-15.

The case
View attachment 337669

I designed the cutouts in mycasebuilder software to fit 20 prebuilt starting stacks and 32 slots to fit an additional 800 chips. The design in the computer is in previous posts the final results are below.
View attachment 337672

It came out amazing. I chose the PE foam which is a closed cell stiffer foam. I had to meticulously measure a ton of barrels of chips kinda got a running average and that's the numbers I went with. I choose a depth of 25mm. (My only regret, more on that later)

My measurements were on the money.

Filling of the case
View attachment 337679
View attachment 337682
View attachment 337684
View attachment 337685
View attachment 337686
View attachment 337687

The case fully loaded weighs in at exactly 45 pounds. Which is 1 pound more than my fully loaded AR range case.
20190913_165733-jpg.337688

The foam is snug and fits the chips perfect. Like amazingly perfect. The only slot that's tight is the one for the plaques which I originally measured for just 1 plaque but it will fit 2 they're just tight. I also have a prominent spot for my beloved ND card guard. At least the newest version of it.

The only regret is I wish I had cut the chips about 5 mm deeper. The only reason being it is tight to close the case. That's something that I know from personal experience with firearms will ease as the foam breaks in but right now it takes a ton of effort to close the case.

I know the weight wouldn't be ideal for someone slight of build, but being a large guy it's not much at all, and the longer case seems to balance the weight easier.

There's no doubt I would and probably will use this service again. Maybe not for as large of a set though. The case with the custom foam, shipping and the insurance of a recut of the foam ran 130 or so, I can dig up exact numbers if needed. That also includes the case obviously. There are many cases that are budget friendly that could easily fit a 500-1000 piece set.

Bottom line, A+ service and quality. I'd for sure recommend them for a unique storage/travel solution for chips. If anyone wants any additional information feel free to ask!

your case is beautiful.
A couple questions.

how many chips do each row hold, and what would be the size difference for 39mm chips. Also, instead of the card holder slot, what would the size be for a double deck plastic case of copag or kem playing card.

Very nice! I need to get one of these planned out! Thanks for sharing!

I’ve designed a couple styles. This seems to be the best. 2000 capacity with room for 8 plastic deck sets plus 6 decks of standard, multiple buttons and card guards. Main issue will be weight. Based on my estimations, it will top around 75lbs. The wheels help, though still very heavy. Some other designs only hold 1000. Cheaper, but no wheels.

Last edited:
My other design is much cheaper. 1000 chip capacity. 4 plastic deck sets plus 6 standard decks. What’s everyone’s thoughts. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Smaller case has a big advantage of weight And price.
3E625B04-0886-4AC3-B1C6-EF96EFC3CA9C.jpeg

Definitely weight and convenience come to mind.

In order to use either of the 2 x 1000 piece sets, you have to get out the same case. I assume one is a cash and one is a tournament, or there's less of a reason to need 2 different cash or 2 different tournament sets every time.

The 2 x 1000 piece sets in the same case makes sense if:
  • you'll only ever have these two sets, thus will never need to mix and match cash and tournament sets
  • you always play cash and tournament in the same evening, never just one or the other, thus never needing to just bring one set
  • none of your friend's have chip sets, or might get chip sets, thus you always have to bring these two sets
  • you'll never increase your two sets passed 1000 pieces each (unless you make one of the sets to 2000 pieces, then that's fine)
I'm just joking around about the bullet points above, but it's something to think about.
I think this 2000 piece case is very restrictive. I think 2 x 1000 piece cases will ultimately be more useful.

Definitely weight and convenience come to mind.

In order to use either of the 2 x 1000 piece sets, you have to get out the same case. I assume one is a cash and one is a tournament, or there's less of a reason to need 2 different cash or 2 different tournament sets every time.

The 2 x 1000 piece sets in the same case makes sense if:
  • you'll only ever have these two sets, thus will never need to mix and match cash and tournament sets
  • you always play cash and tournament in the same evening, never just one or the other, thus never needing to just bring one set
  • none of your friend's have chip sets, or might get chip sets, thus you always have to bring these two sets
  • you'll never increase your two sets passed 1000 pieces each (unless you make one of the sets to 2000 pieces, then that's fine)
I'm just joking around about the bullet points above, but it's something to think about.
I think this 2000 piece case is very restrictive. I think 2 x 1000 piece cases will ultimately be more useful.

Love the bullet points.

Yes to a cash and tournament set. My plan is to only have these 2 sets. I recently ordered a similar design of cheaper case for 1500 to hold my existing 2 sets, but wanted a dedicated case for both my 1000 chip CPC sets that have just been ordered.

The advantage of having a case hold both sets is the advantage of only having to go into one case for everything, whether I would be traveling(doubtful) or storing it here at home for cash and tournaments (most likely scenario). There is a greater likelihood of playing both cash and tournament in the same night, though possibilities of only cash on other nights.

The advantages of the 1000 chip cases are that it is far cheaper ($120 each vs $550). Weight (30-35lbs vs 75lbs), and functionality - 3 matching cases vs a 1500 style smaller case and a 2000 style case on wheels. Storing 3 cases is a lot simpler than the monster 2000 chip case. Considering travel, it would be far easier to grab and go either the cash or tourney set or both depending on where I’m going vs. dragging the 75lb monster up from my basement and into my car. The chances of these sets leaving my house are extremely rare, but still something to consider.

3 of my smaller designs are still cheaper than the monster on wheels. This is a Huge consideration. Storing 3 matching cases is also much easier than the monster.

Thanks for the post. I’m really leaning toward the smaller design and making it a more universal foam layout and having case tags for tournament and cash sets along with the other case with my 1500 existing chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom