My attempt at 3D printing racks (4 Viewers)

@Lil Tuna this is what I was talking about for your TRKs.
I went to the online store to order the spacers and unfortunately they are out of the 2mm. I need 10 of the 2mm and 6 of the 1mm.
@One Eyed Dollar, if you could message me when 2mm are available again, I’d like to place an order.
Thanks so much @Darson, fantastic idea.

I went to the online store to order the spacers and unfortunately they are out of the 2mm. I need 10 of the 2mm and 6 of the 1mm.
@One Eyed Dollar, if you could message me when 2mm are available again, I’d like to place an order.
Thanks so much @Darson, fantastic idea.
Sorry about that! I updated the inventory so they should be available for order now or as soon as the site updates itself. Thanks!

Thanks to @justsomedude for taking a bunch of great photos of my router circle jig in action, set up for a simulated circle cut for a table. This explains it a lot better than my photos of the jig by itself. I added some of the photos to my store, and this one is ready to order or you can download the file and print one yourself.

3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-1.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-2.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-3.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-4.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-5.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-6.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-7.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-8.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-9.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-10.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-11.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-12.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-13.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-14.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-15.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-16.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-17.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-18.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-19.jpg3D3P-Bosch-Circle-Jig-20.jpg

After making some tiny prototypes for testing, I did a full-size test print of my latest creation and it's ready to share. This one was requested by @TeamNapoli who asked for a rack that would hold chips in even rows while tightening them in a clamp for flattening warped chips.

I did some research on chip flattening since I haven't done it before. I wanted to give a shout out to two super useful threads on this topic:
I think this is the OG thread on the subject by @ski_ex5 :
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/flattening-warped-chips.3903/
And I think @Brookston has an amazingly clever solution to this problem too. It's even better because it's totally flexible as to how many chips you can drop in:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-and-improved-chip-flattener-build.45743/

My creation isn't as flexible as the dowel rod method, but some people may not want to take their clamp apart and drill holes in it, so this is an easier alternative. The idea behind this one is that you have a frame piece and an insert that you drop in to fit the number of chips that you want to flatten. The pictures show an orange insert that is 11 chips high and a red insert that's 21 chips high. I made them odd numbers since I figure you'll usually have a ceramic blank at both ends for an odd number of chips. The inserts are slightly shorter than that number of chips so that you can squeeze the chips without the inserts getting stuck in the clamp too. Then you lift off the clamp full of chips and put them in the oven.

How about some pictures? This is with a 12" clamp that I got at Harbor Freight. Your clamp may vary in size.

IMG_20200309_073956384.jpg

Some wobbly Fun Nites:
IMG_20200309_074016036.jpg

The clamp sits on top of the frame and then you drop in the insert:
IMG_20200309_074101398.jpg

IMG_20200309_074127920.jpg

Put in your chips (pretend the green PCF chips are the ceramic blanks - my blanks haven't arrived yet):
IMG_20200309_074459145.jpg

Tighten the clamp:
IMG_20200309_074517236.jpg

Lift up the clamp, leaving the frame and insert on the table:
IMG_20200309_074730096.jpg

Here's the 11-chip insert sitting in the frame. You can also stack multiple inserts next to each other to get different sizes. There's enough space here to fit another 11-chip insert next to it.
IMG_20200309_074805593.jpg

The bottom of the insert sits about 1mm above the top of the frame, so the chips will be clamped just slightly above the bottom of the clamp:
IMG_20200309_074839743.jpg

It's still a prototype at this point, and I'd love to get feedback on it, especially from those who have flattened chips before. Anything you would change about it?

I'd also like to hear how many chips you usually flatten at one time! This frame is sized to hold a 21-chip insert or two 11-chip inserts, but it's easy to make it longer. How long would you want to go?

Last summer I was using this method and sunlight on my black asphalt driveway. I was doing 10 chips at a time with ceramic blanks on each end...so 12 chips. You have to be careful with pressure but I had better results than doing a barrel at a time. Not sure if the blanks were necessary. This jig would help having to spin them into position so the chips are centered in the wood.

edit: one thing that a buyer should consider that if they ordered one of these and later reduced the amount of chips they flatten at a time, the piece could be cut to fit.

Really great idea and look! Would definitely be interested in something like this. Thanks for continuing to explore the world of 3D printing especially when it benefits us :)

When I flatten, I use a ceramic blank between every chip. Because I've always "aligned" it in a chip rack, I'll flattened 9 warped chips using 10 blanks = 19 total chips, but depending on the warp, it could fit like 20 in a rack.

I've always flattened 1 barrel of chips at a time in 2 rows of 21 with blanks. Getting them lined up perfectly in the clamp was always the weak link in my process. I wish I had this 12-18 months ago.

If you make this for sale, I will absolutely buy it.

I do up to 10 chips at a time with ceramic blanks as spacers and on the ends, so need to accommodate up to 21 total chips.
Ditto here two stacks of 10 chips + 11 blanks.

So what’s the size of the insert from peak to peak? I have an off brand of a clamp and want to see if I have enough room between the metal screws.

Last edited:
Also might suggest something instead of the cards logo. Maybe wavy lines on one side and straight parallel lines on the other side. Pringles go in and bricks come out. :)

Ditto here two stacks of 10 chips + 11 blanks.

So what’s the size of the insert from peak to peak? I have an off brand of a clamp and want to see if I have enough room between the metal screws.
The insert is 80mm across, so it only sticks out 0.5mm wider than the chips on each side. I also made the peaks shorter on the sides to help clear the screws.

I like idea with the wavy and straight lines. I can make a variation of the frame with that design.

I printed a couple more inserts to test today and took pictures for the store. I plan to add it tomorrow and I'll share the files too. But right now, I'm headed to bed. :) :yawn:

Chip flattening racks are now available in the store. I'll be posting the models for download in my other thread in a bit. I have to run an errand now though.
Tried to order but the store is showing 'Sold Out' for the frame and inserts in all colors.

These are awesome! I'm currently in the process of assembling my Prusa i3 MK3s printer. I think I'll try to take this on as my first project. Have you posted the files for this somewhere?

These are awesome! I'm currently in the process of assembling my Prusa i3 MK3s printer. I think I'll try to take this on as my first project. Have you posted the files for this somewhere?
Yep, the 39mm version is posted in the other thread and I forgot to mention it here:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/oeds-models-for-3d-printing-poker-stuff.50673/#post-1032795

I'm also working on another version that will work for 43mm blanks too, if you're planning to use those. I've got it modeled in my head - just need to do it in the computer now. :tup:

I made some versions of the chip flattening rack that will work with 43mm chip blanks. Please let me know which versions you guys like best. I could put all of them in the store, but the options might be too confusing. Here are the different versions I've modeled.

First up is the standard 39mm insert in the same size frame that I designed originally, which I'm calling the 39mm frame:

IMG_20200318_205456234_HDR.jpg

Then I made an insert for 43mm chips that fits in this same 39mm frame. It hangs over the edge on either side.

IMG_20200318_205517733_HDR.jpg

Another option is to stretch the frame to hold a wider insert for 43mm chips:

IMG_20200318_205543087_HDR.jpg

And you can use the wider 43mm frame with a 39mm insert. I think this would still work with smaller clamps because I notched the sides to keep it narrow to fit between the screws.

IMG_20200318_205604566_HDR.jpg

Is there a version of this that you guys like best? Should I make all of them or just standardize on one of the frame sizes and then offer two sizes of inserts for it? I'd appreciate your input.

These all look awesome but I have no idea from a manufacturing/stocking standpoint which is preferred. As a know nothing consumer though, I guess I like the idea of a standardize frame because then people wouldn't have to order 2 frames and even if they did (you require to package the insert and frame together) at least they'd have a spare frame if they lost one of them

I would keep it simple and offer 1 size frame (39mm is probably best) and two sizes of inserts.

I agree. 39mm frame with 2 inserts.

However, I would only make one row of chips in the insert. I know some people do two rows at a time, but that doesn't work very well since not all chips are uniformly thick. One of the two barrels always gets compressed more than the other. If you want optimal results, it's best to only clamp one barrel at a time. Obviously we can just use one row though, leaving the other empty. But then my OCD would shed tears.

What software do you use to design stuff with? Any tutorials you've found helpful for designing parts?

I agree. 39mm frame with 2 inserts.

However, I would only make one row of chips in the insert. I know some people do two rows at a time, but that doesn't work very well since not all chips are uniformly thick. One of the two barrels always gets compressed more than the other. If you want optimal results, it's best to only clamp one barrel at a time. Obviously we can just use one row though, leaving the other empty. But then my OCD would shed tears.
Interesting, you're the first one that I've seen suggest doing only 1 barrel at a time. All the pictures I've seen were with 2 barrels together. It's funny how many different ways people are flattening chips.

Based on the responses, I think this approach would work for everybody:
- Stick with the one-size-fits-all 39mm frame
- Offer 39mm and 43mm diameter inserts
- Make a single barrel version of the insert for people that only want to do one stack at a time (easy to do)

I will work on getting those options modeled and added to my store. If you've already placed an order and want to change/add anything, send me a PM.

In other good news, Amazon finally delivered my grey PLA today, so I can finish several orders that are partially done and just waiting on grey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom