My 8-bit seating chips mock-up (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So I recently picked up some of these Aztec mold plastic chips, mostly in the red color:

blank chips.jpg

...with the plan to make tournament seating chips out of them. The blue chips will go on the tables for identification, and the players will draw from the red chips to find their seats.

I guess this mold is called Aztec, but the squared-off pyramids also reminded me of an old 8-bit video game. So I decided to go with that theme for the labels. The back side of each chip will say "PRESS START" and the other side will have an 8-bit suit and number on it. The blue chips will have the corresponding suit for each table (no numbers).

Here is what I have mocked up:

mockups 1.JPG

(Sorry the red chips look mauve here - my scanner did a crappy job on the color. In the photo above you can see that the chips are actually red.)

And here's the numbers on all the labels. Putting the numbers over the clubs was the hardest, but I think they are legible.

all labels 1.JPG

Let me know what you think! I think they turned out pretty close to what I envisioned when I started. I'm not sure if I want to keep the background around the suits white or change it to a light grey or something.

Way cool idea.

On the execution end, I feel like they could use a little more contrast or something on the numbers versus the suits. Maybe give the numbers a white stroke, or make them white entirely (and perhaps with black/red stroke)?

Looking forward to seeing the complete 8-bit chip design that will eventually accompany these. ;)

I toyed with the idea of a mario themed set.

Mario is red for the fiver. Luigi is green for the 25. Ghost is white for a one dollar chip. Bowser could be on a black or charcoal hundo.

I'm still tweaking on these.

The bright white background seems too harsh. Looking at something like pale yellow, blue, or grey instead. Examples:

mockups 2.JPG

It was bugging me that the numbers I made were an even number of pixels wide, so I couldn't center them properly over the suits which were an odd number wide. So I took a pixel out of the width of the numbers, which mostly worked fine except for the 4 and the 7 which end up a little goofy. But I think it's worth it to make them all fit better.

all labels 2.JPG

Sorry these images look kind of grainy. I'm using the Snipping Tool to take screenshots and the jpeg compression is crappy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom