Modifying an ESPN/Barrington for Temp Storage (1 Viewer)

ngmcs8203

Flush
Reaction score
So I got my table yesterday ($150, it was still in the box with styrofoam) and have a list of things I plan on doing ASAP:

Table Topper
Cup Holders
Carrying Handles
Hinge Replacement

Later on (maybe this winter) I wanted to do the following:

Replace the lighting
Add USB charging (but my own patented version of course)
Battery Power for the lights
Hopeful that I can find a way of protecting it (I know the bags are too small, but maybe some sort of sock with elastic band?

What I was wondering was if anyone has added a cash/chip drawer to one. I know people do for their custom built tables, but since this one is folding we are limited with the amount of space underneath that we can use.

IMG_1808.jpeg
70977333185__EBA2C446-8BB9-4295-9B9E-F9BDC22ABFB2.jpeg

You are not going to be able to mount anything with real size to the under side of these tables and still be able to fold it up, and folding it up is why those of us that have these went this route instead of more permanent tables. You are better off "upgrading the room" instead of trying to upgrade the table more often than not.
Add USB charging (but my own patented
version of course)
What I was wondering was if anyone has added a cash/chip drawer to one.

This is the classic example of what I am talking about. Instead of messing with the table, build a cart. I got a shuffle tech and modded a prefab kitchen cabinet.

Now you mount a power strip with USB ports to the back of the cabinet. It lets people charge devices without them being a constant distraction at the table, gives you a place to store chips nearby, and the shuffle tech is a huge upgrade to any home game.

That's a great idea. Is that the ST1000? That would blow up my poker room budget, but still love the cabinet idea.
Yes it is, and yes it was expensive, but man let me tell you man HUGE GAME CHANGER! Most of my friends played very little when I got going. Shuffling was something most of them hated. Taking that "chore" away from them significantly increased attendance.

As far as the cabinet goes, I just put 2 inch casters on the bottom of the prefab. Too easy.

I found an ST1000 for like $400-500 but still, with the cost of chips, this table, the upgrades. A shuffler is gonna have to take a backseat. I have 8 decks of cards. Everyone can take one home and practice if they have to. I had my two teenagers last night wanting to practice shuffling as I taught them how to play hold 'em. Then we played war and BS for another 2 hours. They still suck at shuffling so I showed them how to do a wash.

I found an ST1000 for like $400-500 but still, with the cost of chips, this table, the upgrades. A shuffler is gonna have to take a backseat. I have 8 decks of cards. Everyone can take one home and practice if they have to. I had my two teenagers last night wanting to practice shuffling as I taught them how to play hold 'em. Then we played war and BS for another 2 hours. They still suck at shuffling so I showed them how to do a wash.
I know all about a budget. I am a blue collar worker with two kids. I know it sucks. I am not saying do it all at once. If you do the cabinet now, you can always add the shuffle tech later. The shuffle tech showed up at my house 7 months after everything else. It's all good man.

I added usb chargers to mine and they hardly get used. Are you wanting to replace the lights to do other colors?

You are not going to be able to mount anything with real size to the under side of these tables and still be able to fold it up, and folding it up is why those of us that have these went this route instead of more permanent tables. You are better off "upgrading the room" instead of trying to upgrade the table more often than not.

This is the classic example of what I am talking about. Instead of messing with the table, build a cart. I got a shuffle tech and modded a prefab kitchen cabinet.

Now you mount a power strip with USB ports to the back of the cabinet. It lets people charge devices without them being a constant distraction at the table, gives you a place to store chips nearby, and the shuffle tech is a huge upgrade to any home game.
That cabinet is brilliant. Only bad part of it is now I've got another thing to save up for! Good part is it gives me more ideas for fun new projects to build. Thank you for sharing.

The stock lights are so bright. I’d love to get a strip of adjustable lights on it.
For the interim until you replace the lights, you might be able to get a strip of opaque plastic to filter the lights down. If it is cut right, a small piece of clear tape on the joint will keep it expanded out.

For the interim until you replace the lights, you might be able to get a strip of opaque plastic to filter the lights down. If it is cut right, a small piece of clear tape on the joint will keep it expanded out.
Yea I remember seeing a thread about how you can get something and cut it into small sections, sort of jamming it in all the way around.

Yea I remember seeing a thread about how you can get something and cut it into small sections, sort of jamming it in all the way around.

I did something like that. For my build I added some EVA foam strips under the rail in front of my LEDs.

The picture below shows it with the end of one section pulled out so you can see the foam and the lights with and without.

kMVBIbV.png

The foam dims the LEDs nicely although I also have the whole strip dimmable as well. If there is enough recess on your table to stuff foam into then it could work. The foam I used is about 15mm thick and slightly oversized in height so it fits snuggly under the rail. It not only diffuses the light but also protects cards that are overpitched - they just bounce off rather than hitting a solid surface.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom