ESPN table journey (1 Viewer)

The RGB LEDs are the “onn” brand from Walmart. They are dimmable too, which is a huge plus.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Mult...p-with-Sound-Reactive-Technology-32/654224385

The zip ties have still worked great. But the thing about them is that you really need to make sure of two things:
-You can get a tight fit pushing down the rails and screwing them back in. (If you never took the rails off, it should certainly be tight enough. And you can replace the LEDs without taking the rails off).
-You get a package of zip ties that are NOT folded. What that means is you need to go to the store and buy them in person to make sure. If you got them shipped, I can almost guarantee they will have a crease.

The RGB LEDs are the “onn” brand from Walmart. They are dimmable too, which is a huge plus.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Mult...p-with-Sound-Reactive-Technology-32/654224385

The zip ties have still worked great. But the thing about them is that you really need to make sure of two things:
-You can get a tight fit pushing down the rails and screwing them back in. (If you never took the rails off, it should certainly be tight enough. And you can replace the LEDs without taking the rails off).
-You get a package of zip ties that are NOT folded. What that means is you need to go to the store and buy them in person to make sure. If you got them shipped, I can almost guarantee they will have a crease.
Supposed to have them locally at home depot. Did you have to glue them down at all? I could work with the blue but yea very bright.

If you ever get the urge to change the LED lights, I would suggest going with COB LED as they are a continuous LED, no separation between them as in regular LED's.
I originially had the typical LED, but no matter the diffuser I used, the light separation was always noticeable.
The COB light is the cat's meow, and can be dimmed if needed and available in RGB
cob led.jpeg

If you ever get the urge to change the LED lights, I would suggest going with COB LED as they are a continuous LED, no separation between them as in regular LED's.
I originially had the typical LED, but no matter the diffuser I used, the light separation was always noticeable.
The COB light is the cat's meow, and can be dimmed if needed and available in RGBView attachment 1274059
Yes!!! I’m most certainly going to look into this. I was looking into getting some sort of continuous LED for the tables and scrapping some of the diffusers, but I couldn’t find anything trimmable (I didn’t look too far). Can these be trimmed to an exact length? Like say 7ft 3 inches? That’s the only thing about the led strips with separable lights, you can trim them like 2 inches at a time.

If so, I would absolutely do this!

If not, maybe I’d have to channel my inner MacGyver again and get crafty. Haha.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Yes! I’m most certainly going to look into this. I was looking into getting some sort of continuous LED for the tables and scrapping the diffuser, but I couldn’t find anything trimmable (I didn’t look too far). Can these be trimmed to an exact length? Like say 7ft 3 inches? Like that’s the only thing about the led strips with separable lights, you can trim them like 2 inches at a time.

If so, I would absolutely do this!
Yes, they can be trimmed every 5cm (2"), just like regular LED light strips...they have a cut line that can be soldered if needed, or cut to length.
My table use a 5M length + part of a 1 meter length. Easy to splice together at the cut line using solder. I'm thinking your table may only need one 5M length.
Available on eBay or amazon. I purchased these when they were 1st introduced, so I had purchased them on AliExpress (China eBay)

Yes, they can be trimmed every 5cm (2"), just like regular LED light strips...they have a cut line that can be soldered if needed, or cut to length.
My table use a 5M length + part of a 1 meter length. Easy to splice together at the cut line using solder. I'm thinking your table may only need one 5M length.
Yeah I just did a quick search instead of being lazy and saw the same.

So how about the fold in the table? Another thing about the onn lights is that they are labeled as “32 feet” but it’s actually 2 sections of 16 feet spliced together by the power source at the middle. That makes it super easy with a fold in the table, you just use the two separate strips for the two separate sections of the table, and wire them together in the center/fold under the table. I’m assuming this is one continuous strip, so I’d need to use two separate strips, no?

Yeah I just did a quick search instead of being lazy and saw the same.

So how about the fold in the table? Another thing about the onn lights is that they are labeled as “32 feet” but it’s actually 2 sections of 16 feet spliced together by the power source at the middle. That makes it super easy with a fold in the table, you just use the two separate strips for the two separate sections of the table, and wire them together in the center/fold under the table. I’m assuming this is one continuous strip, so I’d need to use two separate strips, no?
How is your present lights attached to both halves?

My table is a stand alone piece in a dedicated room, so I have never seen how a folding table with lights attach.

How is your present lights attached to both halves?
So the table is actually two led strips. One half of the table is one 8 ft strip of lights. The other half is another 8ft strip of lights. One power source, under the table in the middle, splices to two separate strips.

My table is a stand alone piece in a dedicated room, so I have never seen how a folding table with lights attach.
Yeah that’s what I deduced. With a standalone non foldable table, you could use one strip. With a folding table these strips could still be used, but it would probably need to be two separate strips, one for each fold. I mean, if you wanted to still be able to fold the table without ripping apart the LEDs lol. It could be done.

Yeah that’s what I deduced. With a standalone non foldable table, you could use one strip. With a folding table these strips could still be used, but it would probably need to be two separate strips, one for each fold. I mean, if you wanted to still be able to fold the table without ripping apart the LEDs lol. It could be done.
The two halves can be joined together using splice wires soldered to each other, leaving enough slack in the wires to fold the table.

Supposed to have them locally at home depot. Did you have to glue them down at all? I could work with the blue but yea very bright.
If your rail is close enough to your table top, you do not need to glue it down. If it is not, it is very hard to secure them to the rail. The plastic on led strips is very resistant to superglue, hot glue, mounting tape, double sided tape… ymmv but if you had to glue them down I’d wish you luck. That’s why I urge you to not have creases in the zip ties. It only makes it harder.

I will have to measure the width on my table. It's a barrington table 10 seater..

The light distance from the playing surface to the rail is 1/4" roughly around. I will have to see the width of the zip ties are.

This is a new table so not looking to be tearing it apart right now. But, if I can cut down the light tone it might be better. My other option is to increase my lighting above the table with brighter bulbs.

If your rail is close enough to your table top, you do not need to glue it down. If it is not, it is very hard to secure them to the rail. The plastic on led strips is very resistant to superglue, hot glue, mounting tape, double sided tape… ymmv but if you had to glue them down I’d wish you luck. That’s why I urge you to not have creases in the zip ties. It only makes it harder.
I tried the tie wraps. 2 of them fit great under the rail. 3 probably needed to be glued.
As you can see 1st pic is 2 pieces, as compared to none.

Attachments

• 20240215_214854.jpg
    20240215_214854.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240215_214931.jpg
    20240215_214931.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 22
I tried the tie wraps. 2 of them fit great under the rail. 3 probably needed to be glued.
As you can see 1st pic is 2 pieces, as compared to none.

I’ve heard of people wrapping tape around them too. That could make them diffuse even more and might make the fit a little better.

Nice work! I think its great to slowly upgrade the tables as you host bigger games. The games I play in are small but not really growing so I haven't done any upgrades yet

I am very pleased with the 4ft tie zips from home depot. Snipped the ends flat and was able to just press them over the existing LED's. I put 2 layers of them so it dulls the brightness. I am thinking about buying a dimmer but I think if I increase the lighting above the table that might not be necessary.

I am very pleased with the 4ft tie zips from home depot. Snipped the ends flat and was able to just press them over the existing LED's. I put 2 layers of them so it dulls the brightness. I am thinking about buying a dimmer but I think if I increase the lighting above the table that might not be necessary.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. And getting lighting above the table is definitely an upgrade. I actually got recessed lighting installed in my living room ceiling (for poker, and just to improve my living room). It was one of the best decisions as far as hosting games. Before that, I was using Home Depot lamps on plastic shelves to shine down on the tables. It was better than nothing.

The two halves can be joined together using splice wires soldered to each other, leaving enough slack in the wires to fold the table.
I spliced the LED strips for my kid’s bedroom a few years ago without soldering. I used these clips that you’d snap onto the light strip and there’s wire that you cut to the length you need and clip it into the next strip of lighting.

I spliced the LED strips for my kid’s bedroom a few years ago without soldering. I used these clips that you’d snap onto the light strip and there’s wire that you cut to the length you need and clip it into the next strip of lighting.
I've never seen these clips, but it sounds like that would be a better option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom