Modern poker book recommendations? (1 Viewer)

RagahRagah

Flush
Reaction score
Hey, all. I'm not that old but in my earliest poker years I took the game seriously and knew the basics pretty well at the time but life got in the way and I fell behind and never really moved on to advanced stuff.

Fast forward some years now and fortunately life is a bit more comfortable and happy AND I have had a bit more time to pick my favorite hobby back up. Problem is, trying to reorient myself found myself realizing I was way behind. Equities, EV's, ranges, newer terminology, etc. all made me realize I had a lot more to learn past Harrington on Hold 'Em, lol. I do generally read stuff online, but...

I prefer something tangible that encompasses the essential tools of today. Are there any good recommendations for:

1. A general all-around book that summarizes and teaches the basics of modern tools? Implied odds, equity, EV, range calculation, terminology, etc. in something close to a 1-stop shop? Or at least the closest thing to it? Some digging may yield results but I figure I'll get a much faster and in-depth response from people here at my favorite poker community.

2. Something akin to a modern physical workbook that tests/teaches knowledge on these subjects?

And hell, where to go for the most essential charts and what software would be best for such things?

Any possible recommendations are appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I highly recommend Andrew Brooks’ Play Optimal Poker and Play Optimal Poker 2. He also has an excellent long-running podcast (Thinking Poker) which usually has a strategy segment, which is great for the car/mowing the lawn etc. Longtime contributor to poker magazines as well.

I forgot that he also has an earlier book called Essential Poker Concepts which may be more what you are after. Scroll down this page to find it:

https://www.thinkingpoker.net/poker-books/

“[Essential Poker Concepts] collects eighteen classic essays on timeless strategy concepts such as range analysis, bluffing, bluff-catching, and game selection. Each offers a quick hit of poker theory in clear, accessible language, with a dash of humor mixed in.”

Thanks, guys! Keeping these in mind. I forgot to mention I also like having my favorite books in audio books but so far it doesn't look like any of these are on Audible. Oh, well.

Ed Miller - The Course. Anything Ed Miller really.
So far i've had about 4 very good sounding suggestions but if one of these books in particular can narrow down all the essential concepts efficiently enough, that would be preferable to buying 4 books, lol. If that is possible.

So far i've had about 4 very good sounding suggestions but if one of these books in particular can narrow down all the essential concepts efficiently enough, that would be preferable to buying 4 books, lol. If that is possible.
The course got me to understand the game better. So it has my vote.

Check out Modern Poker Theory by M. Acevedo
dense for sure. but it's got all the GTO / range equilibrium stuff you could ask for.

56A907F6-47CC-4978-908D-1B29D6B9F24D.jpeg

Professional No limit Hold’em Volume 1 -Ed Miller is one of the Authors- I like Miller for poker books
So far this is the first recommendation I started reading and enjoying it very throughly. Still considerably early in but the book is incredibly simple in its breakdown; I'm more if a visual person rather than audible so sometimes the way things are worded are tough for the learning process depending on who is doing the writing. But so far some of the things I know I need to learn that I didn't find clear through other instruction is incredibly easy to follow. I think my poker knowldge has improved slightly just over the last couple days alone, lol. So thanks.

The course got me to understand the game better. So it has my vote.
Wow. Fantastic book. I'm at sea and just finished it, I'm going to restart it after dinner. Bunch of "woah" moments for live low limit stakes, perfect. Very impressed. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
W

Wow. Fantastic book. I'm at sea and just finished it, I'm going to restart it after dinner. Bunch of "woah" moments for live low limit stakes, perfect. Very impressed. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah. It was a game changer for me. Even just with some general mindsets into hands.

I need to read it again.

Wtf is this?
1) Why is kindle more expensive than paperback
2) Why is the kindle version "sold out"?
kindle.png

Books are great, but I would recommend an online course. I did Red Chip poker a couple years ago and I would recommend it. Lots of great info in easy to digest format. (Ed Miller gives a breakdown of The Course in it as well). The program is $5/week for however long you want to use it. You could rip thru it in maybe 3 months if you wanted to.

Before a big tournament, I will re-up for a week to go back thru the tournament section. It's good stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom