Mint TRK Questions ... (1 Viewer)

Blaster

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Some Mint TRK questions for those that have a full set/large amount .... ...

I've got Custom CPC's, Paulsons ( both mint and worn), , China Clays, but I have just a half-dozen or so mostly worn smooth TRK samples, & just some BCC samples as well... & I aware of a lot of the history from being on the boards over the years ...

First, I know these are all very subjective descriptions, but Using the flow logic of my below analogies,
can someone describe or add the analogy of what differences a bunch of Mint TRK's feel like, in relation to ...:

Subjective Descriptions:

Mint ASM/CPC - "Harder" than Paulson, You could almost tell someone a mint custom CPC was made of hard "wood" .. About a gram or so lighter than most common Paulsons...
Mint Paulson - Seemingly softer, a bit heavier, & wear down easier & smoother than ASM/CPC's, sometimes almost feel as if there's Talc or a hard Plaster feel to the chip ..
BCC - More of a Paulson than ASM feel, but most were a bit lighter than Paulson except those order with the heaver mix ..
China Clay - Kind of Paulson / BCC like, but as if a main ingredient was ground rubber Hockey Puck mixed with the plaster, these of course are injecton rather than compression molded.....
Mint TRK's - Feel??

2nd - I think I may sort of remember posts about later TRK's color not going all the way thru the chip, and/or the later chip edgespots not solid/all-the way thru the chip ... Do I remember this correctly, , & if so, what change in Mfgring caused that?

Last edited:
TRK chips are true compression-molded chips with cut out and added inserts, so they definitely do not have that last feature....

Mint TRKs are typically heavier than mint Paulson chips, and have a similar chalky and sharp-edged feel. Imo, they wear down to a smoother finish than Paulsons, especially the later GPI-produced lead-free versions.

Personally, I prefer the feel of the TRK material, but prefer the mold feel of the older THC Paulson chips.

TRK chips are true compression-molded chips with cut out and added inserts, so they definitely do not have that last feature....

Mint TRKs are typically heavier than mint Paulson chips, and have a similar chalky and sharp-edged feel. Imo, they wear down to a smoother finish than Paulsons, especially the later GPI-produced lead-free versions.

Personally, I prefer the feel of the TRK material, but prefer the mold feel of the older THC Paulson chips.
I really had thought someone posted a few years back something about the last year or two of TRK production something about either the color, edgespots, or material not going ll the way through or being the same inside, it didn't make sense to me either, but it "stuck" with me, ... it must be my memory mixing something up from a different post subject :confused: ... :)

If I remember correctly, it was BCC that produced some chips with "split spots" were the base color could be see in the middle of the edge spot color along the edge of the chip.

If I remember correctly, it was BCC that produced some chips with "split spots" were the base color could be see in the middle of the edge spot color along the edge of the chip.
Split spots are a case where different base and insert materials become fluid at different temperatures, and one remains harder (or softer) than the other during the compression process -- causing one of the colors to squish instead of the edges where they meet melding with the other. Not the same thing as 'colors not all the way through', however. And not restricted to just BCC chips, either -- every manufacturer has dealt with this issue to some degree, and some color combinations are very prone to it happening.

I really had thought someone posted a few years back something about the last year or two of TRK production something about either the color, edgespots, or material not going ll the way through or being the same inside, it didn't make sense to me either, but it "stuck" with me, ... it must be my memory mixing something up from a different post subject :confused: ... :)
The only possible reference I can come up with is that certain china clay chips have edge spots where the spot color is pressed onto the base chip, rather than pressed into gaps in the base chip. In those cases, the spot color does not go all the way through (and this has been previously addressed in the forums, here and on CT).

There are some cc whereas the spot colors do not go all the way through the chip. There are also some that do. This is different than the "split" the BGinGA described above. You can see split spots on the mardi gras chips on the hokdempokerchip.com site as a comparison. I posted a lot of data about this a loong time ago on chiptalk.

Ooos, I failed to read the post above mine in its entirety. His description is 100% dead on with regard to the cc spots.

I would say the feel is somewhere between a mint Paulson and a mint BCC, but the chips are smaller, and weigh as much or a bit more, so they are denser. They do not feel, however, harder than Paulsons.

And they are spectacular.

^What he said.^

IMG_2749.JPG

If you promise to return them, I'll ship you a half barrel of mint Money Tree's. Then you can see for yourself.

I don't have a ton of experience. But the older TRK's (leaded) are noticeably heavier.

Just pm me.
That's a generous offer , I really appreciate that!
No need however It will just make me want mint TRK, so I will resist for now. :)
Thanks again for that offer !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom