Tourney Minimum bet and bet increments? (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Do you guys enforce a minimum bet of BB or SB? Or do you allow anything?

For increments, do you allow BB, SB or smaller?

Last game we had a couple new guys who I don't know and we weren't at my house. I tried saying min bet was BB but it quickly reverted to SB and sometimes even lower when the blinds went up (one chip). It doesn't really bother me as if I'm in the hand then I'm raising but is it worth the effort to try and set a rule here? It's a casual bunch of players so I don't want to be a rules nazi when it's a relatively small thing, I'd much rather enforce things like keeping chips on the table and vocalizing your actions.

Last game we had a couple new guys who I don't know and we weren't at my house. I tried saying min bet was BB but it quickly reverted to SB and sometimes even lower when the blinds went up (one chip).

I added the bold emphasis because I understand in this sort of situation if you aren't running the game you should be cautious on how hard to push.

It's a casual bunch of players so I don't want to be a rules nazi when it's a relatively small thing, I'd much rather enforce things like keeping chips on the table and vocalizing your actions.

I would agree chips in play and clear actions are a higher priority, but bet and raising sizes are not that far behind in importance for keeping a fair game.

Say blinds are 100-200 with 5 players to the flop in a pot of 1000. The first person bets 500, the next 3 call and the last person gets to raise to 550, is it really fair to the 3 in the middle that the original bettor has an opportunity to re-raise to a much larger size just because a late person went for a small raise?

Let's extend this scenario into a bet. Say the first person instead hopes to check getting the opportunity to check raise. So the first 4 players check and the fifth guy decides to throw in 50, is it fair that the first player gets a chance to act again over such a small bet?

Hopefully that helps explain the reason for the rules. As always it's your game and you do things your own way. But I do think it's best to follow standard rules in this regard, personally. Most of my players understand this, and the ones that don't catch on pretty quickly.

It's a casual bunch of players so I don't want to be a rules nazi when it's a relatively small thing, I'd much rather enforce things like keeping chips on the table and vocalizing your actions.

As @JustinInMN said, it's not a small thing, actually, for all the reasons he said, but also because, you're going to put off the players who actually know what they are doing. I know you said it's a casual bunch and not your game, but even as a casual player, I wouldn't return to this game if they don't insist on enforcing even the simplest of rules. It's a recipe for disaster that's really going to bite them in the rear end soon.

Thanks guys. Really the main issue is not someone making a micro raise but rather making a micro post flop opening bet. So a bet of 500 followed by a raise to 550 never happens. It's more like an opening bet of 25 when the BB is 50 or 100.

I think part of the problem is that we didn't chip up as quickly as we should have so there were small chips in play longer than should have been (we waited and chipped up the T5 and T25 together).

A my house, I'll enforce the BB min bet rule but after saying it once or twice when at someone else's, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut.

Thanks guys. Really the main issue is not someone making a micro raise but rather making a micro post flop opening bet. So a bet of 500 followed by a raise to 550 never happens. It's more like an opening bet of 25 when the BB is 50 or 100.

I think part of the problem is that we didn't chip up as quickly as we should have so there were small chips in play longer than should have been (we waited and chipped up the T5 and T25 together).

A my house, I'll enforce the BB min bet rule but after saying it once or twice when at someone else's, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut.

Usually, it is kind of hard to post a small blind without a chip smaller than the big blind. I think it’s a lot more a lack of poker knowledge.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to rock the boat too much, I wouldn’t either, but it truly is a basic poker rule that everybody who plays poker should know. If you’re going to play any game or sport, especially for money, you should be familiar with the rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom