Mill Bit Type (I forgot type)

RussB42

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the Bits "End Milling" or "Flat Milling" Bits ?

Thanks

Gear

Full House
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End milling, flat milling, bottom cleaning == all the same, in my experience. That is, there are probably supposed to be subtle differences, but the manufacturers (and more often, sellers) don't seem to make any distinction, and they use the terms interchangeably.

Note -- a Forstner bit is NOT the same thing. There is a pointy centering tip to a Forstner that is not at all desirable when milling chips. (To my ears "flat-bottom Forstner bit" makes no sense. Is it flat-bottomed, or is it a Forstner bit? Can't be both.)

Jambine

Full House
Reaction score
ote -- a Forstner bit is NOT the same thing. There is a pointy centering tip to a Forstner that is not at all desirable when milling chips. (To my ears "flat-bottom Forstner bit" makes no sense. Is it flat-bottomed, or is it a Forstner bit? Can't be both.)
Agree. The terms are confusing here. I've also seen them advertised as "cleaning bottom router bit"

i'm nobody

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Here is the bit I picked up on Amazon. The Magnate bits seem to be harder to get. So far I have had excellent performance so far.
uxcell 1/4-Inch Shank 7/8-Inch Cutting Dia 2 Flutes Carbide Tipped Bottom Cleaning Router Bits

Attachments

• router bit.jpg
    router bit.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom