Milano chip thickness issue (1 Viewer)

bsdunbar1

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I know in the past the Milano, particularly the $5 chips, had an issue with the thickness. You could not fit 20 in a rack and a stack of 19 were just about the same height as a stack of 20 of the other denom chips.
Does anyone know if they still have this issue?
Has anyone bought any of the $5 chips lately?

Thanks -

I just got 175 X $5. They are mint. The $5 denom has a slight red tint to it though, but it goes unnoticed unless you're looking for it.

I would be hesitant to add chips as your chance of them being the same is 0%. Sell the ones you have, and buy what you need from the same batch. Only way to have a fair shot at getting them all the same.

Appreciate the feedback. I'm ok with the color variation - they are cheap chips. Are you saying they won't match up because of the color or because of the thickness?

Thanks

Every china clay line ever made has this issue. It's a tolerance flaw inherent in the manufacturing/QC of these chips in their respective factories.

I would be hesitant to add chips as your chance of them being the same is 0%
That's false. There *is* a chance that the reorders are the same height, but it's a low chance. Regardless, height similarity is of minimal relevance as soon as you mix the batches together, particularly since the height's of all the denoms slightly varies. What I'd be more concerned about is color-matching between batches.

Every china clay line ever made has this issue. It's a tolerance flaw inherent in the manufacturing/QC of these chips in their respective factories.

That's false. There *is* a chance that the reorders are the same height, but it's a low chance. Regardless, height similarity is of minimal relevance as soon as you mix the batches together, particularly since the height's of all the denoms slightly varies. What I'd be more concerned about is color-matching between batches.

We're not just talking about height. Factor in color differences and inlay print differences, combined with height, and you'll get your 0%.

Height was the biggest concern to me. When cashing out chips in a cash game if the stacks of 20 $5 chips and the stacks of 20 $1 or $25 chips aren't the same Qty it can screw your bank up real quick and since the $5 chip is the most qty in my cash games it was a real problem in the past with the bank being off at the end of the night. Thanks for all the help, it looks like a hit and miss kind of thing at best.

PS - I just bought an additional 25 $25 chips to add to the ones I had from several years ago and the color is spot on.

Had some .25 cent milanos and bought some $5s about a year later and they stack up well next to each other

I know in the past the Milano, particularly the $5 chips, had an issue with the thickness. You could not fit 20 in a rack and a stack of 19 were just about the same height as a stack of 20 of the other denom chips.
Has anyone bought any of the $5 chips lately?

Thanks -
I have a whole bunch of older Milano $5 and $1 I would love to sell because they have the larger thickness.

Later on, the process was improved and their thickness got smaller to fit 20 in a 64 mm rack

Bumping this thread as I'm finding myself in a pickle. I bought 3 sets of milanos from different people a while ago, now I'm stuck with multiple denoms in multiple colors and stack heights...

Height of 10 Qty Color Denom
Screenshot 2018-03-06 14.07.23.png

What the heck am I supposed to do with these....

2018-03-06 13.44.21.jpg

2018-03-06 13.44.39.jpg

All stacks of 20, 3 different colors.
2018-03-06 14.02.16.jpg

Both stacks of 20, almost 2 chip difference in height.
2018-03-06 13.44.55.jpg

Need an unlike button. I got samples of Milano's and Majestics and in the samples I got the Milano's were fine but obviously they have changed over the years. What I could not understand was why the Majestics $100 black chip was tad smaller in circumference from the other denoms.

Ended up buying Tangier's cash set from Sal at OWPS and got them the day before he passed away. Hoping the business and/or designs continue to be available to order more.

Are you saying they won't match up because of the color or because of the thickness?
Both, and diameter for that matter. All the china clay samples I have handled have the same issues. Inconsistent thickness, diameter and color. Some are quite noticeable even from the same batch

It's not just Milanos. I have enough PGI greek keys for a nice solid tourney set. However, I added on grey solids for T1000s, and they are substantially thicker than the others. Have not purchased labels as a result, and may simply put them all in the garbage. Based on the recent classifieds, there is no interest in them.

I consider them disposables. When viewed over the lifetime of the chip, the initial cost is pretty small. But they won't last forever, have low quality issues, and resale value is questionable.

Size and color variance is a notorious problem with any mass produced chip from China. Only advise is if buying CC or any other mass produced chips, always buy entire set at one time that will cut down on getting chips from different production runs. It won't guarantee it but will lower the chances. Unfortunately I'm afraid it's always going to be an issue with this type of chip due to the manufacturing QC.

2018-03-06-14-02-16-jpg.159013

That is just sad. :eek:

At least I have 3 sets which work together. Not a great breakdown for any of the sets but they'll work...

I've had color difference issues with CC Pharaohs but this is just ridiculous.

My primary set right now are Milanos and some fit oddly in my wooden trays. Every row of 25 is semi-lose except for my 100's which are so tight I'd guess there's not even a nano meter to spare.

I'll have to try and get a pic of this.

The color difference is a small problem, but a whole chip difference or more in a barrel is a big problem. Is this a function of purchases over a longer period of time, or is it coming up between chips purchased now?

I bought 3 sets from 3 people at different times, and no idea when they all bought their sets.

I have the same issue where some racks are loose and others only fit 19 chips.

That height difference is terrible. I had to get rid of mine because I was using them for cash & got tired of my cash bank being off. Had to individually count every stack. No way around it and that wasn't worth it.

No idea, I probably have like 7 different types of racks that are mixed up. But the difference was noticed using the same rack.

No idea, I probably have like 7 different types of racks that are mixed up. But the difference was noticed using the same rack.

I was just thinking the wide china racks might work if you just mixed them all together.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom