Michigan Degenerate Checking In (2 Viewers)

Ransora

Pair
Reaction score
Hello, I hope this finds you well!

My name is Paul and I have been playing poker for around a year now, and I have fallen completely in love with the game. I started studying GTO and tons of theory, as well as doing a lot of range training, watching people play MTTs/Zoom of the stakes I play to learn, and a decent amount of my own playing, which will hopefully increase once I get a nice chip set.. Something that comes with loving the game is also falling in love with all the different chip designs, so it was only natural that I ended up here...

I have had a set of scrolls and a set of milanos before, but I am looking to get my first real set of chips (afterwards there will be many others I am sure). I am currently stuck between a custom Mandypokerchips set of EPT replica chips, or going with some cards mould chips, or a set of used chips like majestics, tiki kings etc.

I am not a huge fan of the tiki king design but I know they get pretty great reviews (much better than scroll at least), but so do the mandypokerchips and the apache/cards mould clays that I have seen people talk about..

I am sure once I pull the trigger I will end up posting them, but there's just so many good designs to choose from.

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!

I am not a huge fan of the tiki king design but I know they get pretty great reviews (much better than scroll at least), but so do the mandypokerchips and the apache/cards mould clays that I have seen people talk about..
Welcome, there's waayyy too many options to go buy Tiki Kings just because other people like them lol. I don't like them either.

The cards mold are not clays, they are ceramics just like the tiki kings. They feel different but are much cheaper; not everyone likes them but most agree they can't be beat for the price. Take your time and pick what you want, don't rush and throw money at sets you don't like that much.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-start-here.85303/
Edit to add: Shameless self plug, I was in your spot not long ago. I wanted a chipset I could use now and almost bought some chips I didn't really like but would serve me for the time being. Instead, found a designer here and had these made, fully custom and 43mm, for cheaper than the Tiki Kings. Tikis are fantastic and most like the feel better than these, but I'm biased.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-ice-cardroom-antarctic-cash-set.98574/

Hello, I hope this finds you well!

My name is Paul and I have been playing poker for around a year now, and I have fallen completely in love with the game. I started studying GTO and tons of theory, as well as doing a lot of range training, watching people play MTTs/Zoom of the stakes I play to learn, and a decent amount of my own playing, which will hopefully increase once I get a nice chip set.. Something that comes with loving the game is also falling in love with all the different chip designs, so it was only natural that I ended up here...

I have had a set of scrolls and a set of milanos before, but I am looking to get my first real set of chips (afterwards there will be many others I am sure). I am currently stuck between a custom Mandypokerchips set of EPT replica chips, or going with some cards mould chips, or a set of used chips like majestics, tiki kings etc.

I am sure once I pull the trigger I will end up posting them, but there's just so many good designs to choose from.

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!

Hi Paul,

I live down the road from you. I'm in Ypsilanti, south of 94. Literally a hop, skip, and a jump from you. We used to routinely eat at the Bayou Grill.

I have a bunch of custom clay and ceramic chips. I also have a few paulson chips. If you are ever interested in checking them out let me know. I host monthly. I'm guessing since you just started playing poker that you play NLHE? That isn't a game that routinely hits my table lol. We play a lot of circus games. Most are variants of Omaha and draw games.

Welcome to the forum!

Bill

Welcome to PCF. Keep your eye on the PCF classifieds, there have been a lot of nice buying opportunities in the resale market lately.
I definitely saw some very nice listings such as tiki kings, arias cards mould chips, and some more expensive ones I am not quiteeeeeeee at yet.

Once I get the requirements I will definitely be spending a lot of time there in general. My wallet is gonna cry but I will be happy, haha.

Hi Paul,

I live down the road from you. I'm in Ypsilanti, south of 94. Literally a hop, skip, and a jump from you. We used to routinely eat at the Bayou Grill.

I have a bunch of custom clay and ceramic chips. I also have a few paulson chips. If you are ever interested in checking them out let me know. I host monthly. I'm guessing since you just started playing poker that you play NLHE? That isn't a game that routinely hits my table lol. We play a lot of circus games. Most are variants of Omaha and draw games.

Welcome to the forum!

Bill
Hey Bill, nice to meet you!

That is quite literally 10 mins from me if that depending on where south.. I am on the S. Service Drive in between Belleville Rd and Rawsonville.

I miss eating at Bayou, was a really nice place until the new owners took it over, and the food portions/ingredients started changing and getting lower quality. Tons of nice places in the area IMO. A great dive bar called Lakeview also closed fairly recently which was super sad, not sure if you've been there but I used to frequent it quite a bit :)

I would love to browse your inventory for sure and get a feel for a lot of the different chips.. Once I get messaging permissions I will definitely send you one and we can work out some details.

I do only play NLHE but would be interested in trying PLO or other circus games, but I would have to learn them/try them out for sure first.

Thanks again for the wonderful offer, and we will definitely be in touch!

Welcome. Good post. Why are you up so early on a holiday ?
I was actually up late, and just going to bed when I posted that because I usually stay up pretty late during the weekends since a decent amount of my friends work midnights, and I have Mondays off at the moment. Not sure what would be worse, I am not a morning person :p

I'm pretty much at the intersection of Whittaker and textile. We frequent boneheads on Willis road, then a few different restaurants in Depot Town. Thompson's & CO and sidetrack are two of our favorites.

I'm pretty much at the intersection of Whittaker and textile. We frequent boneheads on Willis road, then a few different restaurants in Depot Town. Thompson's & CO and sidetrack are two of our favorites.
12 mins away from me, close enough :cool

I forgot to mention it earlier, but unfortunately will be moving out to St. Joseph most likely end of May for work, but who knows what's gonna happen with that.

I have also tried boneheads a few times, I liked it a lot. Haven't had the other two, definitely gonna check them out before I end up leaving at the very least.

Hey Paul, welcome to the community! I am located in NE Indiana just a couple hours away. We play monthly NLHE tournaments here with a few cash game nights sprinkled in. My first tournament set is similar in style to the EPT chips I think you were talking about. I purchased them from ThePokerStore.com . They are called Turbos on their site. We have been very happy with them for a starter set that should last us awhile. Whatever you choose, you should pick up some samples to make sure you like the look and feel of the chips before you purchase them. You can never have too many samples!!!

Matt

20220806_212332.jpg
20220804_141941.jpg

Hey Paul, welcome to the community! I am located in NE Indiana just a couple hours away. We play monthly NLHE tournaments here with a few cash game nights sprinkled in. My first set tournament set is similar in style to the EPT chips I think you were talking about. I purchased them from ThePokerStore.com . They are called Turbos on their site. We have been very happy with them for a starter set that should last us awhile. Whatever you choose, you should pick up some samples to make sure you like the look and feel of the chips before you purchase them. You can never have too many samples!!!

Matt

View attachment 1085446View attachment 1085447
Beautiful set! I love the bracelet as well. If you're taking new players, I may be moving to St Joseph Michigan for work soon, and depending on how far northeast you are I would be open to driving to a game once a month or so, if you'd be open to it! Gonna need to find stuff to do if I move anyway.

I'm definitely gonna check that site out and order some samples based on the recommendation from you and others. Just wish I could get them here faster!!!

I’m temporarily close to you in South Lyon. I’m lucky to be part of great SE Michigan group.

This is one of the best hosts in the area! A few others are

@Skagglio (I haven't played at his place yet), @Boother36 @Marc Hedrick @Sprouty I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

Most of us host dealers choice or a fixed rotation of NLHE/PLO/Big O variant

Found these for sale, pretty tempted to pick them up despite them being like twice the amount I was planning on spending. Never held a 36mm but feels like a really good deal based on my research... Thoughts?

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/1400x-authentic-paulson-wsop-tournament-set-1450.100760/
It’s a great deal, especially if you’re looking for a big tournament set - 3-4 tables or more. I think these were the first 36mm chips to market and they sold for twice this price. Most Paulsons are selling for 3x what they were selling for five years ago, so the fact that these are unsold at half price suggests that 36mm never really caught on with the pcf crowd. But I’ve handled 36mm Paulsons and they feel great, especially in really good condition. You won’t find a Paulson tournament set in that condition for that price.
I think I’d rather have those than ceramics, but it’s a close call.

This is one of the best hosts in the area! A few others are

@Skagglio (I haven't played at his place yet), @Boother36 @Marc Hedrick @Sprouty I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

Most of us host dealers choice or a fixed rotation of NLHE/PLO/Big O variant
Definitely gonna get on my variant learning. PLO seems very fun, but other than NHLE and 5 card draw I don't know much. That will change here soon. Would definitely love to get out and playing a lot more.

It’s a great deal, especially if you’re looking for a big tournament set - 3-4 tables or more. I think these were the first 36mm chips to market and they sold for twice this price. Most Paulsons are selling for 3x what they were selling for five years ago, so the fact that these are unsold at half price suggests that 36mm never really caught on with the pcf crowd. But I’ve handled 36mm Paulsons and they feel great, especially in really good condition. You won’t find a Paulson tournament set in that condition for that price.
I think I’d rather have those than ceramics, but it’s a close call.
Yeah honestly I've never felt a 36mm chip so I don't know how different it is. My hands are also quite small so I could see it not being as big a deal for me as it would be for someone else. I'm definitely still thinking about picking them up to be honest, but I also don't need all those chips lol. And using tourney sets for cash games is kinda off-putting to me, but it could work.

Beautiful set! I love the bracelet as well. If you're taking new players, I may be moving to St Joseph Michigan for work soon, and depending on how far northeast you are I would be open to driving to a game once a month or so, if you'd be open to it! Gonna need to find stuff to do if I move anyway.

I'm definitely gonna check that site out and order some samples based on the recommendation from you and others. Just wish I could get them here faster!!!
Thank you! We have a league that we run and give out a couple of bracelets per year to the winners of some of our larger tournaments. Most of our tournaments are also open to non league members as well. Our season will be wrapping up here in the next two months. We are always looking for more players who have a love for the game! It might be a couple hour drive for you down to Fort Wayne but you are more than welcome to join us anytime. Our league is finishing up our first year and a few of our members are also members of PCF. The guys would love to do a local meet up sometime in the future with some other not so far away groups!!!

Canton Michigan here.

Make sure you check out Classic Poker Chips. They are great for real clay with a couple of stock sets including Rounders replicas and options for full customs.

59C61506-89E7-4632-9C67-AD61C5C95067.jpeg
0768CD2F-767C-49F2-9AC6-885A460D3B65.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom