Messing around with Inkscape (1 Viewer)

BigSlickTux

Two Pair
Reaction score
I have been intrigued lately to learn vector graphics and have recently installed Inkscape. This seems like a really cool program. My goal would be designing my own chips and labels to order from Tina. I have been watching the TJ Free videos on YouTube and have learned a lot; however, the colors is what I am struggling with right now. I have switched my "Fill and Stroke" settings to CMYK and I can't seem to type my own values in. For example, silver should be C=20, M=10, Y=10, and K=0. When I type it in, it starts to change the other numbers as if it can't understand or won't allow C to have a value of 20 while Y has a value of 10. Any help in understanding this would be appreciated. Also, fair warning that I will probably be asking numerous questions as I learn vector graphics. This community is great and I know there is much knowledge to be gained. Thanks again.

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that Inkscape only works in RGB, and while you can set colors using CMYK values, in the background it's converting/storing all color information in RGB values. So likely 20/10/10/0 (what you entered) and 11/0/0/10 (what Inkscape changes the CMYK values to) are both RGB value cce5e5ff as far as Inkscape is concerned.

Am I wrong in thinking that a file needs to be in CMYK when sent to Tina to print the ceramic chips and labels? I saw @eightyWon post with the Pantone colors, but am still unsure how that translates to my vector file. How is the color that I’m seeing on screen translate to the actual chip?

Before you go too far, look at Vectornator.

I had issues with Inkscape and got really frustrated with some of the bugginess. Not sure if Vectornator has a PC app, but I use both the Mac and iPadOS apps a lot. They have great training resources as well.

If you do not work in CMYK to begin with, or convert to CMYK and check/adjust your colors, then whatever software Tina uses will just auto-convert from RGB to CMYK, which will generally result in more muted colors in CMYK.

I had issues with Inkscape and got really frustrated with some of the bugginess. Not sure if Vectornator has a PC app, but I use both the Mac and iPadOS apps a lot. They have great training resources as well.
Downloading it now! I've gotten used to Inkscape over the past year or so, but it looks like Vectornator does have CMYK preview mode and ability to export to Illustrator format (among other formats).

Also, more recent versions of Inkscape seem to be slightly less buggy.

Thanks. I will be checking this out. Hopefully the interface is similar to Inkscape so I don’t have to learn it all over. Oh well, if I do. Does any one know which Pantone colors correlate to Paulson colors?

Update: I just found a post by @QuailValley with a spreadsheet listing the Paulson colors and the corresponding CMYK, HEX, and RGB colors. This seems very helpful. Has anyone used this specific chart and with any luck?

Let me ask this question. Has anyone successfully created Tina chips using Inkscape and are happy with the result?

I'm waiting for some designs that are part of a GB to be made, but I designed a set for @Dane which he ordered through a German company which apparently has chips made by Anita (a Tina competitor). I think they are a little darker than my original mockups, but I liked how they turned out:

20230221_175052-jpg.1085011

20230221_175048-jpg.1085012

20230221_175117-jpg.1085013

Photos courtesy of @Dane

I'm waiting for some designs that are part of a GB to be made, but I designed a set for @Dane which he ordered through a German company which apparently has chips made by Anita (a Tina competitor). I think they are a little darker than my original mockups, but I liked how they turned out:

Photos courtesy of @Dane
these look freaking great!

In my one Tina experience I can tell you they just “eyeball” the colors that you send. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny but that’s the word on the street so I don’t think it matters if you send CMYK etc etc. She just sees “blue” and tries to make it match as close as possible.

Last edited:
In my one Tina experience I can tell you they just “eyeball” the colors that you send. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny but that’s the word on the street so I don’t think it matters if you send CMYK etc etc. She just sees “blue” and tries to make it match as close as possible.
That’s unfortunate. You would think that if you put in the work and provide the proper color code or Pantone color her computer could print it.

This is a timely thread because I was just looking into the CMYK topic. Check out the difference between cmyk(70, 0, 100, 0) on screen and in print: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/kid_eastwoods-tribute-designs.101147/#post-2120317

Screen versus picture of a color sample:
1678158139522-png.1094351

A picture of a printed chip:

Regardless of which darker green is more "real", the screen interpretation is a completely different color. The printers have no choice but to eyeball the colors. Otherwise, customers would receive a product that looks nothing like what (they think) they ordered.

Photos courtesy of @Dane
Yeah They turned out great and they're brighter in person @TheOffalo

Dare I even ask which supplier is better?

My recent experience as a Customer that wants to order around 800-1000 Chips:

Anita: They made like 5-6 different samples for me within 2 weeks. I send my Design, she sends me a Picture of my design in their Software, i ask her to change this and that, she asks me for Pantone colors and then they make a sample for me (every 6 Chipdesigns). Great Service.

Tina: They maybe can make samples in 4-5 Weeks, then says they will not make a sample for me and want me to finish my design as accurate as possible. But in the End i dont know how they will look.

//Edit: From what i saw in the linked comparison-Thread --> i like Tinas colors more.

Not to derail a great thread about CMYK, but does it bother anyone else that "Tina" and "Anita" are basically semordnilaps?

Mirror Universe?
Multiverse?
Negaverse?

This is the stuff that keeps me up at night...

This is a timely thread because I was just looking into the CMYK topic. Check out the difference between cmyk(70, 0, 100, 0) on screen and in print: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/kid_eastwoods-tribute-designs.101147/#post-2120317

Screen versus picture of a color sample:
1678158139522-png.1094351

A picture of a printed chip:

Regardless of which darker green is more "real", the screen interpretation is a completely different color. The printers have no choice but to eyeball the colors. Otherwise, customers would receive a product that looks nothing like what (they think) they ordered.
Very interesting. I like the color the chip turned out to be.

My recent experience as a Customer that wants to order around 800-1000 Chips:

Anita: They made like 5-6 different samples for me within 2 weeks. I send my Design, she sends me a Picture of my design in their Software, i ask her to change this and that, she asks me for Pantone colors and then they make a sample for me (every 6 Chipdesigns). Great Service.

Tina: They maybe can make samples in 4-5 Weeks, then says they will not make a sample for me and want me to finish my design as accurate as possible. But in the End i dont know how they will look.

//Edit: From what i saw in the linked comparison-Thread --> i like Tinas colors more.
I like the ideas of quick samples. Great colors will appeal more to me, I think. When I’m ready to order chips (who knows when that will be), I’m leaning towards the hybrids from Tina. Not sure if Anita does no mold hybrids.

Not to derail a great thread about CMYK, but does it bother anyone else that "Tina" and "Anita" are basically semordnilaps?

Mirror Universe?
Multiverse?
Negaverse?

This is the stuff that keeps me up at night...
Or is it an “Einhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Einhorn” situation?

How did you do the edge marks? all of the tutorials that I found for that type of measuring was for illustrator.

I used the original Bosco Aces files that were released to the forum as a template. It's an .ai file, but can be opened in Inkscape. You can find it linked in @Eloe2000 post here.

Or, if you want to go straight to the files, here is the direct link.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom