Maybe I needed to check that the fastener was rated for the weight. (1 Viewer)

Jeff

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Disaster. I broke one of the cases I can’t replace.

C15ABE2C-7E6D-4434-A407-F4A0B1E36580.jpeg
2078041E-8849-4B37-AA98-1B93D22CDB35.jpeg
image.jpg

Loaded the case up with 170 buttons and it came off the wall straight down and broke the shelf’s when it hit. The hook came out of the wall. Yikes. I can’t buy these anymore.

I was in the process of loading the other two.

image.jpg

Might be fixable with some nails or screws from the ends, and/or corner brackets if the wood is thick enough to hold them.

I’ve learned the hard way... predrilling a hole slightly smaller than the screw saves a ton of headaches.

Thank goodness it was buttons and not singles! Sorry to hear about this. GL with repairs.

Hard to tell from the pics, but you might aslo be able to use a pocket jig to repair it..maybe.

A brad nailer would possibly work better than screws for repairing the damage, as it doesn't distort the wood upon entry. Glue the edges and use a couple of 2" brads on each end. Also less visible than screws on the end.

Last edited:
Also how was it attached to the wall? Into the drywall, or into a stud? Screwed in or hanging on a picture hook?

If there are no studs where you want to center it, use a screw-in drywall anchor. They come in 2 sizes, larger one is about the size of a dime, and will hold well over 100 lbs each anchor.
Don't use the toggle bolt style anchor, they don't work as well in my experience..

Drywall fasteners (hooks with nails) that have various sizes that hold progressively more weight. I never moved up in size, I just kept putting more and more buttons on it. I have plenty of hooks that will hold 50 lbs.

I just need to try to glue and secure the shelfs and rehang with the proper hooks.

Looks like it may be MDF rather than wood. If it is, it’ll be much tougher to fix.

May have to do a small piece of under the shelf to support it.

As to mounting, you should look into the French cleat method. Way easier to make sure heavy stuff won’t fall.

Depending on code in your area, and the age of the house, there should be several studs in that wall (typically 16" apart). If one or more falls in a convenient place, you could attach the cabinet directly to the stud and no longer have to worry about it falling.

You can get a device which finds them at any hardware store. Or just tap around and listen for when the sound goes from hollow to more solid. Then use a pointy object to poke through the drywall to verify that you’re hitting wood not air (preferably in a spot which will be covered by the shelf so you don’t have to do touch-ups).

I have plenty of toggle bolts to use.

I bought 4 of these displays back in the day (prior to finding SFDisplays) and was using 3 for buttons and one for card cappers. I pulled the card capper display like this out of my work room and re hung it (with an appropriate fastener) where this display was. I used the one in my work room to hold card covers and they are of almost no weight at all. I’m going to fix she shelves so they look okay again and use this damaged one to hold the card cappers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom