Interest Matsui 43mm WSOP Tribute set -- design final! (1 Viewer)

Black or White label?

• White label -- keep the original look

• Black label

• Who gives a crap, just make the chips

Results are only viewable after voting.
will any samples be offered?
If someone organizes it. I will not be doing samples.
I'm happy to organize a samples sale but I'm in Canada so it would be more expensive for everyone shipping wise.

I'm also happy to take care of all the organization/payment/ordering and then work with another (US-based) member who can take care of the reshipping if someone steps up.

Tagging some people here who have reshipped for me or who have offered to do something similar for me or others on past group buys: @lrapley @Pinesol13 @TheOffalo @Sprouty

I'm happy to organize a samples sale but I'm in Canada so it would be more expensive for everyone shipping wise.

I'm also happy to take care of all the organization/payment/ordering and then work with another (US-based) member who can take care of the reshipping if someone steps up.

Tagging some people here who have reshipped for me or who have offered to do something similar for me or others on past group buys: @lrapley @Pinesol13 @TheOffalo @Sprouty

I am behind in shipping some stuff out already. I won't be able to help this time round. Sorry!

As promised, I'm organizing sample sets. Information and ordering is here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/matsui-43mm-wsop-tribute-sample-sets.88728

I'm also still looking for any US member willing to reship, please PM. Otherwise reshipping will be done by me.

When is the 25k getting added I didn’t see that but that’s awesome if it is!

Yes, I decided to add a 25k. Still working on the colors. Of course I couldn't decide this before I posted the order thread, even though these chips have been "done" for months. LOL. Not until I worked out my order breakdown, did I realize I wanted one :)

It's coming.

Yes, I decided to add a 25k. Still working on the colors. Of course I couldn't decide this before I posted the order thread, even though these chips have been "done" for months. LOL. Not until I worked out my order breakdown, did I realize I wanted one :)

It's coming.

1650488195264.png

OK, here is the thought process behind the new 25k chips that were added to the group buy.

First, the T25-T5000 chips were designed to be true to the original 2007 WSOP Main Event chips. I was not going to do a 25k chip, because I wanted to keep this group buy simple, and thought that a tourney set is fine, with a highest denom of T5000. But as I decided on my set breakdown, it became clear that I wanted a T25k. I looked at the original chips, wanting to stay true to the original WSOP Rio 2007 set. However, I hated all 3 options that had been used. 2 of the options were ANOTHER green chip (forest and lime....whatever the official Paulson names for them are). I was not adding another green chip to this line-up, so they were out. The other option was a peach base, which is just stupid...peach next to an orange T5000? Yeah, no wonder the players hated them and the WSOP swapped them out. That was not an option for me either.

These were REJECTED:

25kgreen.png25kpastel2.png25kpeach.png

So, what I did, was tried to stay true to the original set, by taking one of the OTHER chips (another denom), and reassigning it as the T25k. I sent the following photos to @Johnny5, and asked that he turn them into T25k chips, to see how they looked.

100khawaii2.png100kpurple.png250kalmond.png

While I love the pinkish chip, it looked weak in the line-up of the other chips. The other two chips ended up being the versions of 25k that we added to the group buy (swapping the spot colors on the purple chip, to make the text on the inner ring be easier to read).

So I did actually think about this. AND, I stayed as true as I could to the original chips.

Yeah, the T5 is another story. That's just a design that I liked.

Both T25000s look fantastic! If I were buying a set, rather than just a sample, I'd have a really hard time deciding between the two! :love:

One observation: The T500 is blue, the T100 has a blue ring and edge spot (very similar blue to the T500 base), and the T25k's purple base looks pretty close to the T500 edge spot. So even if the chips won't get played together, appearing next to each other as in the proof sheet above, the set seems a little blue-heavy, even in the purples.

What about a more purple-ish purple, like from one of the images you sent to @Johnny5?

1650584981621.png

Both T25000s look fantastic! If I were buying a set, rather than just a sample, I'd have a really hard time deciding between the two! :love:

One observation: The T500 is blue, the T100 has a blue ring and edge spot (very similar blue to the T500 base), and the T25k's purple base looks pretty close to the T500 edge spot. So even if the chips won't get played together, appearing next to each other as in the proof sheet above, the set seems a little blue-heavy.

What about a more purple-ish purple, like from one of the images you sent to @Johnny5?

View attachment 899790

Unfortunately, the Matsui color choices are VERY limited. But I totally agree with what you’re saying!! I’ll definitely be removing my T500 before the big chips come out to play, for that very reason!!

(Actually, my set will probably use the beige option, for that very reason)

OK, here is the thought process behind the new 25k chips that were added to the group buy.

First, the T25-T5000 chips were designed to be true to the original 2007 WSOP Main Event chips. I was not going to do a 25k chip, because I wanted to keep this group buy simple, and thought that a tourney set is fine, with a highest denom of T5000. But as I decided on my set breakdown, it became clear that I wanted a T25k. I looked at the original chips, wanting to stay true to the original WSOP Rio 2007 set. However, I hated all 3 options that had been used. 2 of the options were ANOTHER green chip (forest and lime....whatever the official Paulson names for them are). I was not adding another green chip to this line-up, so they were out. The other option was a peach base, which is just stupid...peach next to an orange T5000? Yeah, no wonder the players hated them and the WSOP swapped them out. That was not an option for me either.

These were REJECTED:

View attachment 899767View attachment 899768View attachment 899769

So, what I did, was tried to stay true to the original set, by taking one of the OTHER chips (another denom), and reassigning it as the T25k. I sent the following photos to @Johnny5, and asked that he turn them into T25k chips, to see how they looked.

View attachment 899764View attachment 899765View attachment 899766

While I love the pinkish chip, it looked weak in the line-up of the other chips. The other two chips ended up being the versions of 25k that we added to the group buy (swapping the spot colors on the purple chip, to make the text on the inner ring be easier to read).

So I did actually think about this. AND, I stayed as true as I could to the original chips.

Yeah, the T5 is another story. That's just a design that I liked.
I love both the 25ks! I’m truly torn on which to order. So I will be ordering both and deciding which one to keep after I see them in person. Thanks @liftapint for adding these options!

One observation: The T500 is blue, the T100 has a blue ring and edge spot (very similar blue to the T500 base), and the T25k's purple base looks pretty close to the T500 edge spot. So even if the chips won't get played together, appearing next to each other as in the proof sheet above, the set seems a little blue-heavy, even in the purples.

View attachment 899790

I just wanted to address this more fully, for those of you who might want to offer design ideas. If you don’t have a Matsui color kit in your hands, then please refrain.

The Matsui color palette is VERY limited. There are only 43 color choices and I swear half of them are a version of brownish orange or tan.

As for the 25k chip color choices, there are literally TWO (seriously ONLY 2) options for purple. See the photo below.

08 is what I went with for the 25k chip. I agree that 09 looks better with the T500 chip, but I think it looks worse with the T5000, which it will definitely be on the table with.

Matsui color options kinda suck. I did the best I could with the options available.

7B35E13E-A443-4AB7-B2D2-F12D1C0C06F1.jpeg

I agree!!! And I am having a really tough time deciding. I also agree it seems the set is blue-heavy with the purple T25k. Honestly with only ordering 60 of these, I am tempted to get both and just cover all my bases, but I'd rather save that $120 for other chips :)

In the renders, I like the beige better (which is odd b/c I'm a purple chip slut) but in the photos from Mel, I actually do like the purple better. The beige looks too drab for me.

Unfortunately, the Matsui color choices are VERY limited. But I totally agree with what you’re saying!! I’ll definitely be removing my T500 before the big chips come out to play, for that very reason!!
Is that because these are 43mm molds? Or in general is their palette limited?

... And with that said, @liftapint ... you got me into this mess with your awesome GB. So, it's your responsibility to get me out of it. Which T25k do you like best?

Come on now, people ... give me your feedback about that T25k. I wanna see arguments for/against both purple and beige. If not, it's gonna cost me an extra $120 b/c I'll have to get both and then I'll be Kifer-level pissed...

I agree!!! And I am having a really tough time deciding. I also agree it seems the set is blue-heavy with the purple T25k. Honestly with only ordering 60 of these, I am tempted to get both and just cover all my bases, but I'd rather save that $120 for other chips :)

In the renders, I like the beige better (which is odd b/c I'm a purple chip slut) but in the photos from Mel, I actually do like the purple better. The beige looks too drab for me.

Is that because these are 43mm molds? Or in general is their palette limited?

... And with that said, @liftapint ... you got me into this mess with your awesome GB. So, it's your responsibility to get me out of it. Which T25k do you like best?
I am getting some of both. In the full line-up, I like the beige chip way better. But with only the 1k and 5k on the table with it, I like the additional variety of color that the purple brings. I suspect that lots of people are buying both to decide later. You could make a best guess and look for a trade later if you guessed wrong :)

I am getting some of both. In the full line-up, I like the beige chip way better. But with only the 1k and 5k on the table with it, I like the additional variety of color that the purple brings. I suspect that lots of people are buying both to decide later. You could make a best guess and look for a trade later if you guessed wrong :)
I think that sums it up rather well! I agree that full-lineup, the beige works best. However, I'm ordering for a T100 base set, and if I color-up the T100/T500, that will leave only the T1k and T5k on the tables, so I would want the extra color of the purple.

For a 100k deep stack, they will all be on the table to start, which makes the decision harder. Sigh, maybe you just answered my question for me:
  • For 200/300BB where T25k is not on the table to start, color-ups require the purple T25k
  • For a 100k deep stack freeze out where the T25k is on the table to start, I would want the beige T25k
... So I have to buy both ... I re-iterate:

ezgif-4-fc6bb07438.gif

I really like the purple, but I think the beige will really stand out as the top chip on the table. At least in my setup it will because it will be on the table from the start. That's if I ever run a tournament again hahaha. I love WSOP tribute chips. My current and only tournament set is a 2006 tribute set I had ABC make for me in 2007. When I saw this group buy pop up, I just couldn't resist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom