Looking for help with these chips (12 Viewers)

They're really not that uniform, not in the way that cc chip spots are repeated on every chip. Typical compression-molded clay with 4d14 spots -- some variation, but not significant.
Referring to the circular marks not the spotting and by uniform i mean that it seems to appear on nearly every chip. Not sure what else could make those marks all in the near same place and with such consistency is my point.

edit: just noticed Mike's comment also used "uniform" as well when talking about the spots so, never mind :)

True, but injection marks/points on china clay chips are under the label, not splitting two different-colored edge spots.

This looks pretty wierd. Any other bcc chips with markings like this? I would have guessed plastic as well for sure based on these pics.

PSX_20190812_160228.jpg

PSX_20190812_155924.jpg

They're really not that uniform, not in the way that cc chip spots are repeated on every chip. Typical compression-molded clay with 4d14 spots -- some variation, but not significant.
They aren't as uniform as a china-clay, but they are far more uniform than any genuine clay chip I've seen before.

The colours originally looked BCC to me, the side shots had me feeling they were BCC as well, and your corroboration convinces me, but I'm still confused by those spots.

Im totally ignorant of how the pgi China clay process differs to bccs processes, but is it in any way possible that the BCC materials were somehow used by GPI. Or are those manfucturing processes too different for that to be possible.

That's probably a totally stupid comment lol but I thought I'd put it out there anyway, because I'm just confused.

The others are odd to me but this one I don't think is. I've seen weirder clay smears on Paulsons and I'm assuming it just happens one in a while with the hands on production of them (I'll try to find some later today and post).

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at Monday, August 12, 2019 - 10.04.51 AM.png

Im totally ignorant of how the pgi China clay process differs to bccs processes, but is it in any way possible that the BCC materials were somehow used by GPI.
BCC was still in business in 2006, prior to the GPI buy-out. And BCC compression-clay materials (or those of anyone else) are not compatible with the injection-mold process used to make china clays (by PGI's source or anyone else).

The others are odd to me but this one I don't think is. I've seen weirder clay smears on Paulsons and I'm assuming it just happens one in a while with the hands on production of them (I'll try to find some later today and post).

View attachment 322000
Yeah, that's just an errant piece of orange clay pressed into the blue clay spot. Not common, but certainly not rare, either.

I can’t thank @BGinGA enoigh for looking at these chips in pictures and in person. I’ve had some interactions with people on this site both in buying and selling and you all are great to deal with.

I am sure there may still be skeptics out there about these chips, but that being said, I’d still like to see if there are more out there or if anyone has any additional information on them. I think I have come close to the end of the internet trying to research them. I’d be happy to pm or post more pictures if anyone would like to see something specific about them.

Thanks in advance,
William

I am sure there may still be skeptics out there about these chips
Being skeptical about chips after @BGinGA has confirmed something about them would be like being skeptical of something regarding Christianity after the Pope’s confirmed it. It’s pretty much foolish blasphemy. ;)

Congrats again on the amazing chips! Please post more pr0n when able.

These look like injection marks to me.
View attachment 321988

Edited cuz BGinGA posted but what are these?
I still have the chips at home, so I'll look this afternoon -- but I don't recall seeing any marks like those on the chips I have.
Okay, I did find three or four chip faces (out of 12 chips, or 24 total faces) that had the round dots on the spots. It's clay, it's flush, it has uninterrupted crosshatching (similar to adjacent areas), and sorta off-color a bit. My guess is that it's from a hand tool (think blunt-end metal pencil or something similar) that was used to push the spot down into place when it lifted (during transport, or maybe between pressings).... basically poor workmanship, inattention to detail, or not knowing wtf the end-impact of what they were doing.

Many of the chips, spots, and even the edge machining/lathing sorta reflect speedy/careless/clueless construction in a similar fashion (along with the impurities/contamination issue on many chips), so I'm leaning more and more towards these chips being a low-volume non-production run probably slapped together by one of the bosses who either didn't really care, or didn't typically perform this type of work (you know, "leave the important stuff to the experts, and you should keep your ass in the office" deal).

With BCC, anything was possible. Home runs and horror stories abound.

Okay, I did find three or four chip faces (out of 12 chips, or 24 total faces) that had the round dots on the spots. It's clay, it's flush, it has uninterrupted crosshatching (similar to adjacent areas), and sorta off-color a bit. My guess is that it's from a hand tool (think blunt-end metal pencil or something similar) that was used to push the spot down into place when it lifted (during transport, or maybe between pressings).... basically poor workmanship, inattention to detail, or not knowing wtf the end-impact of what they were doing.

Many of the chips, spots, and even the edge machining/lathing sorta reflect speedy/careless/clueless construction in a similar fashion (along with the impurities/contamination issue on many chips), so I'm leaning more and more towards these chips being a low-volume non-production run probably slapped together by one of the bosses who either didn't really care, or didn't typically perform this type of work (you know, "leave the important stuff to the experts, and you should keep your ass in the office" deal).

With BCC, anything was possible. Home runs and horror stories abound.

That's crazy. I thought for sure with those injection looking marks, as well as that sorta metallic looking inlay's they were China Clays. The side shots gave me pause though because they definitely look BCC'ish stacked.

To see what I am talking about as sorta metallic looking stickers, check out the Pharoah CC's.

Great pickup to the OP.

Last edited:
No cc silver tint on these, they are white as white can be. Textured, though (like the mold, see pics), so that may affect how light is reflected in photos.

EDIT: forgot, the $100 chips all have a pink gradient tint, that appears intentional and identical on all $100 inlays. But not on any of the other denominations....the others are all white.

I suppose these could also be either prototypes (unlikely, given the quantity), rejects/errors, or returns.

Last edited:
Being skeptical about chips after @BGinGA has confirmed something about them would be like being skeptical of something regarding Christianity after the Pope’s confirmed it. It’s pretty much foolish blasphemy. ;)

This is almost what @AfterTheFact told me after he looked at the chips and referred me to @BGinGA.

These chips do not appear to have ever seen felt. I’d love to find some of their relatives to let them all play and live together. More PRON coming soon.

I think I have decided to put these up for an auction. I’m choosing auction because I really have no idea the value to place on these. I have not been able to find anymore information on these particular chips and that’s another reason for the auction. I will be taking some better photos and try to list these later today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom