Looking for dice upgrade, what samples? (1 Viewer)

Not having a budget can be a dangerous thing around here! :D

If you absolutely know what your end game is (e.g. for me it would be full custom CPC), going straight there would definitely save you some time and $. OTOH, some might argue that it's about the journey (haha) and your tastes/ideas might change along the way as well... :)

Last edited:
Cries..... God these are pretty
Come on in. It’ll be fine
7233ECFB-4979-4F50-89DE-D473124D3F07.jpeg

If you absolutely know what your end game is (e.g. for me it would be full custom CPC), going straight there would definitely save you some time and $. OTOH, some might argue that it's about the journey (haha) and your tastes/ideas might change along the way as well... :)
I think I like the journey concept better than just going all out in my first swing.

I have 2 CPC sets, a 3rd ordered and I’m designing my 4th as we speak… it’s an expensive journey… who needs retirement though??

My advice:

Decide whether your hobby is poker or poker chips.

If it's poker, get samples of china clays, ceramics, and stock designs from Key West and CPC. Pick your favorite, buy more than you'll need, and leave this place satisfied. You'll have some great chips to play poker with, chips that you and your buddies will really appreciate, a huge step up from the ones most people use in their home games. They'll feel nice, they'll look nice, they'll have a nice place among your hobby-related possessions. You'll love it. You'll have a great time playing poker.

If it's poker chips, get samples of the above and Matsui/Abbiati/Bud Jones and RHC/THC - and then slow down. Read the forums a lot. Make a game plan. Then decide if you want a starter set that's in your budget now with a high-end set later on down the road, or if you want to save some money and just purchase the high-end set right away (or as soon as your budget allows).

You absolutely do not need to jump down the rabbit hole. But we're here for you if you do.

Just FYI, if you are considering going the cards mold route, there’s a group buy going on right now for the 43mm aria tribute tourney and cash sets….good luck and welcome to the rabbit hole

OK guys let’s be honest, someone coming from dice chips doesn’t need to handle high-end clays like TRK’s,

Maybe some Paulsons like RHC’s or the few cheap THC’s out there. But we have to be realistic here. I started with DDLM’s from BR pro and it was a great starting point. Then into my HSI’s, IOC's and now I have CDI's and a bunch of other sets including some IHC’s, Maybe a newbie could afford some Paulsons like RHC’s or the cheaper THC’s. But we have to be realistic here.

Regardless of what I thought of some high-end leaded Paulson‘s, TRK’s, starting the journey off there from Dice chips just doesn’t make sense. Hell even if the guy puts in an order today for custom CPC‘s, he won’t have them for pretty much a year.

OP, start with some ceramics or maybe a cheap used Paulson set. It’s an absolute massive upgrade over what you have now, if you do wanna get into the collecting then yes grab some samples and go from there but don’t think you need to order half a dozen to a dozen sample sets before you buy your first upgrade set.

*Yes I used talk to text for that... edited

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom