Looking for dice upgrade, what samples? (1 Viewer)

LovesJacks

High Hand
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what type of chip I want for my first upgrade from dice set.

I ordered two samples from apache (royal and majestic) but I am thinking I should check out some others. Anyone have some recommendations in the same price range or lower?

I am trying to figure out what type of chip I want for my first upgrade from dice set.

I ordered two samples from apache (royal and majestic) but I am thinking I should check out some others. Anyone have some recommendations in the same price range or lower?

The only other thing in that same price range or lower anyone here would recommend are some "cards mold" ceramic chips. Otherwise I would recommend you check out some US made ceramic chips from BRPro like the Dia De Los Muertos.

Slow down.

Are you gonna be happy with Royals, Majestics or Card Molds? Have you handled high end clays like CPC, Paulson, TRK and BCC? Have you handled high end plastics like Bug Jones, Abiatti, Matsui and B&G?

Get samples of those too and decide. They might be out of your price range, but better to wait and save rather than buy a low end set and take a loss on it when you have enough to upgrade to the best.

Ive owned all the china clays at some point (Majestics, Royals, Dunes and Pharaohs). I prefer my ceramic set from @ABC Gifts and Awards, but they'll cost a little more. My favorite of the china clays has been the 43mm Royals (great colors and spots), followed in order by the Pharaohs, dunes and Majestics. If you want to go cheaper, there's always the .15-.18 cent chips like Claysmith, Monaco club, etc.

The only other thing in that same price range or lower anyone here would recommend are some "cards mold" ceramic chips. Otherwise I would recommend you check out some US made ceramic chips from BRPro like the Dia De Los Muertos.
Thanks I'll definitely check out the BRPRO's and card molds

Slow down.

Are you gonna be happy with Royals, Majestics or Card Molds? Have you handled high end clays like CPC, Paulson, TRK and BCC? Have you handled high end plastics like Bug Jones, Abiatti, Matsui and B&G?

Get samples of those too and decide. They might be out of your price range, but better to wait and save rather than buy a low end set and take a loss on it when you have enough to upgrade to the best.
I don't play or host enough to have a really high end set, my new group thinks my dice set is nice. But I will look into samples of some of what you mentioned, thanks.

Ive owned all the china clays at some point (Majestics, Royals, Dunes and Pharaohs). I prefer my ceramic set from @ABC Gifts and Awards, but they'll cost a little more. My favorite of the china clays has been the 43mm Royals (great colors and spots), followed in order by the Pharaohs, dunes and Majestics. If you want to go cheaper, there's always the .15-.18 cent chips like Claysmith, Monaco club, etc.
Are the topic oasis from BRPRO the same as ABC?

Thanks I'll definitely check out the BRPRO's and card molds

I don't play or host enough to have a really high end set, my new group thinks my dice set is nice. But I will look into samples of some of what you mentioned, thanks.

Are the topic oasis from BRPRO the same as ABC?
Yup, same company. Ceramics will run you a little more than your Royal/Majestic price point, but not by much. The cards mold will be about the same price as china clays, but evidently your design will be lighting up Alibaba before you ever get your chips.

What kind of game are you running? Cash, tourney, go fish?

There’s a free samples box available to new members, you should try to get a hold of that. I believe you just need to pay for shipping.

K, so plan for 10. I don't know your stakes but you could do this with 300 chips (150x1, 100x4 and 50x25).

Apache clays would run about $150 for a set. I might lean towards the Dunes because they have a $20 chip available, which is much easier on a cash game than $25. A starting stack could be 15/5 for $40, then just add $20 chips as necessary.

I’d also suggest a key west sample set. ~$25 + shipping for ~12 chips. A really nice and inexpensive sample of CPC’s H-Mold.

Just look up Key West in the Vendor section of the forum. Top notch vendor!!

Edit: Ooops, missed you were looking within the Majestic price range. A set of these will be in a different price range. But at least the sample set will provide low cost example of the options.

D0E5C6F2-D97B-40AA-A9B1-EB657EC9490D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd suggest taking time and getting samples if you can. I started off with a sample of majestics, then got a few other from apache. After that I got some samples from CPC, then found samples on here for cards molds (43mm no mold and normal 39mm cards mold). I also got some Tiki Kings samples.

This has helped me to identify what I like the feel and shuffle of. I love shuffling the Rounders and Atlantic chips from CPC, but for my first main set, I don't see me buying those.

I really liked shuffling the Royals and Majestics, but then I got the Card Molds and like shuffling those just as much, if not more.

So I started on a path thinking I was going to get Royals, then switched to Tiki's for durability. Now instead of either of those, I'm going to participate in a group buy on Aria Card Mold chips.

As I've browsed the forums, I've really like the look of all of these replica sets. Since I've had my hands on card molds and shuffled em, I know I will like them. If I didn't have those samples I probably wouldn't have tried to go down that path. Now I'm potentially getting what I feel like is "the best bang for the buck" first set for me.

I currently have 4 sets of samples (royal, majestic, brpro tropic oasis, the sampler from this forum) on the way so definitely taking that advice. Thanks

I'll likely go for 500 chips for flexibility either way but appreciate the insight
For BRPros you'd be looking about

$325.00 for stock Dia de los Muertos chips (or similar stock designs)
$350.00 for semi custom Dia de los Muertos chips (or similar stock designs)
$420.00 for full customs
$520.00 for full custom with aligned edge spots

Slow down.

This. We see it all the time. You’d be surprised just how fast it will start to make sense spending several dollars/chip if you keep hanging out in this place

How much are you looking to spend?
Are you ok with "stock" offerings (designs, colors, denominations, etc) or would you prefer to customize/design your own?
What features/specifications are you looking for (e.g. weight, material, sound, feel, color choices, design, durability, level of maintenance/ease of care, denominations, level of uniqueness, "in the meantime" kind of set vs "forever" set, "shuffleability", etc?

https://brpropoker.com/collections/poker-chip-sample-sets

You could also get some plain/unlabelled sluggos and make some custom stickers for them?

How much are you looking to spend?
Are you ok with "stock" offerings (designs, colors, denominations, etc) or would you prefer to customize/design your own?
What features/specifications are you looking for (e.g. weight, material, sound, feel, color choices, design, durability, level of maintenance/ease of care, denominations, level of uniqueness, "in the meantime" kind of set vs "forever" set, "shuffleability", etc?

https://brpropoker.com/collections/poker-chip-sample-sets

You could also get some plain/unlabelled sluggos and make some custom stickers for them?
I'm not married to any budget (fortunately)

I am ok with the right stock offerings because I don't want to go down the rabbit hole yet of a full custom chip set

A lot of the features I am discovering through samples but I have a good idea of denoms and this is definitely a "meantime" set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom