Looking for a Custom Chip Set - Any advice is welcomed! (1 Viewer)

easymoneydime

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey All!

First time posting on this forum, so please bear with me if I say something stupid.

Basically, I am looking to for a custom chip set of 500-750 chips for around 300-500 dollars with 3 denominations. Where do I start and what websites are reputable for high quality chips that won't break, crumble, etc.?

I have looked into CPC and they just seem a bit out of my price range. I've also checked out Poker Chips Lounge and found a few clay customs that I like but not sure on the quality on those.

Thanks!
- A

Welcome.

Getting customs in that price range will be tough. You could pull off ceramics for around $.80/chip, so that might work? Cost goes up from there, and doesn’t factor in artwork, etc...

There is only one real clay custom chip maker, and that’s CPC. Any other (retailer) claiming they’re selling custom clay chips is probably FOS. CPC are pricey, but they’re the only game in town, and the sets are more works of art, and labor intensive. Expect $2/chip avg.

Again, welcome. Give folks here more details of your game, and what your are playing, spreading, number of players, etc.. and folks will better know what advice to give.

Thanks everyone! Just some more info for you guys, our home game is 50c-50c blinds and most people buy-in for $40. As far as denominations go, I was thinking 200 50c chips, 250 $1 and 50 $5. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone! Just some more info for you guys, our home game is 50c-50c blinds and most people buy-in for $40. As far as denominations go, I was thinking 200 50c chips, 250 $1 and 50 $5. Thoughts?

Is this a single table game? If so, you don’t need more than 100 of the 50c chips (even 60 is plenty really). 200 $1’s is plenty, get more $5’s.

If you wanted to get creative you could get $2 chips instead of $1’s and $10 chips instead of $5’s. Those chips values work better with a 50c chip. Since the $1 is only double the 50c chip they fill the same roll.

Cermaics are going to be your only option for customs in your price range. Or you can go with a stock China Clay (Majestic/Milano/etc...) option and use a custom label but adding on the custom label will add cost that could put you over your range as well. You'll suffer some sticker shock if you want custom clays.

Whatever way you go, do yourself a favor and get plenty of samples of any chips you are thinking of buying before you drop big bucks on a set. You'll hear this advice often. Chances are you'll be disappointed if you rush into a first set without getting a feel for all the different molds/types of chips before hand. It's worth the small investment & time to get samples and do your homework.

And welcome to the forum. :cool:

I would get some more 5's just to make set more pliable for the future, and maybe some $25s that won't see any use at your $40 game yet. You never know, but getting a barrel of these is cheap and prevents having to add on later. You could also get quarters instead of 50c to have a bit of flexibility the other way.

500 chips:
150- 25c
200- $1
100- $5
50- $25

600 chips:
150- 25c
250- $1
150- $5
50- $25

This is a common question regarding breakdown and has been covered exhaustively in this forum. You can search for breakdown advice, or click this link: Ideal breakdown

For a .50/.50 game, 100 x .50 is plenty and 200 x $1 is plenty. Get more $5s and higher.

100 x .50¢
200 x $1
200 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

As for custom chips inexpensively, your best bet is ceramics.

Are you artistically/technically inclined enough to design your own chip graphics? Custom ceramics might be your best bet as far as cost, but you won't save as much if you're paying somebody else for design fees.

Are you artistically/technically inclined enough to design your own chip graphics? Custom ceramics might be your best bet as far as cost, but you won't save as much if you're paying somebody else for design fees.

Yeah I’ve done some graphic design work in the past so I’m up for trying it out.

Yeah I’ve done some graphic design work in the past so I’m up for trying it out.

That's great! Then you've got lots more options available to you. What I suggest:
1) research costs of various ceramics and hybrid chips using your art; in particular, look for print minimums such as 50 pieces per denomination, or whatever
2) compare that against purchasing good quality blank chips that accept labels, as well as the cost of custom-printed labels (see gearlabels.com in vendors)
3) compare that against any stock sets that catch your eye from any of the vendors, making sure they are available in the denoms and quantities you want

Enjoy the ride!

I play regularly in a game that is 50c/50c and 50c/$1

Here is my reccomendation

100 x 50c
200 x $1
200 x $5

Starting stack is 10 x 50c, 15 x $1, 4 x $5. Eventually we had to add on $25 and $100 chips once there was more than ~$1200 on the table

Hey All!

First time posting on this forum, so please bear with me if I say something stupid.

Basically, I am looking to for a custom chip set of 500-750 chips for around 300-500 dollars with 3 denominations. Where do I start and what websites are reputable for high quality chips that won't break, crumble, etc.?

I have looked into CPC and they just seem a bit out of my price range. I've also checked out Poker Chips Lounge and found a few clay customs that I like but not sure on the quality on those.

Thanks!
- A

You could probably get 200-300 high quality chips at that price range, but your options will be VERY limited if you are looking at Paulson's.

Get some chip samples from the vendors of this site.
Pick out chips in the 16-30c range that are blanks, or peel off the sticker inlays, and have Gear make you some labels for them. Probably the cheapest custom route.

C792BA98-0F5C-43E6-B5A2-A12B24EE14A4.jpeg 523E0FCF-3634-477F-B4F2-3C2D294D39C9.jpeg
523E0FCF-3634-477F-B4F2-3C2D294D39C9.jpeg
C792BA98-0F5C-43E6-B5A2-A12B24EE14A4.jpeg
Thanks a ton for your help everyone! I have narrowed down my search to the Milano blank chips from Apache and will get labels made by Gear as I’ve seen they do great work!

Now I just need some design input. These are the current inlays I’ve designed, (also forgot to put denominations on them). Just wondering what you guys think which would look best on these Milano chips.

The writing is a little hard to read, because it's light on light. I suggest outlining the text in black.

You can shrink the dogs' heads just a little bit so the text doesn't go over their ears.

I don't see much room for denoms here unless you write the number over the bones. I would consider a separate label with denomination on the other side of the picture label. You can move the bones there, too.

The writing is a little hard to read, because it's light on light. I suggest outlining the text in black.

You can shrink the dogs' heads just a little bit so the text doesn't go over their ears.

I don't see much room for denoms here unless you write the number over the bones. I would consider a separate label with denomination on the other side of the picture label. You can move the bones there, too.

Yeah I actually had the idea of putting the bones on the back as well! Any input on what color the inlay background should be? I’m torn between the blue and red haha

Yeah I actually had the idea of putting the bones on the back as well! Any input on what color the inlay background should be? I’m torn between the blue and red haha

I suppose two options come foremost to mind:

1) Match each inlay background of a certain denomination to the base colour of the chip blank you are going to use for it (or a close shade)

or

2) Use a white, black, or grey background for all of them, whichever works best for your entire set

Hey everyone! Figured an update was in store of how my search is going.

I've increased the current budget to about $700-800 with the slight chance that I could increase it again to get CPC customs. The CC Milano's ended up not being received well due to the imperfections and smell.

I'm now diving in to the ceramic world, and have had a tough time figuring out what to go with. I've reached out to GOCC for a sample set and got samples from CPC coming in. My main question with ceramics is, how do I design these chips? Is there a similar tool like the CPC design website?

Get sample from GOCC like you were but also ask Sal over at Old West Poker Supplies to send you some as well. He has some great deals and gives PCF members special pricing. Go to his vendor page and see some oil the great sets he has put out. Send him a pm and they will help you with artwork. Also you can get the artwork started and even finished by some of the great members here. Try @p5woody, @Quicksilver-75 or @Johnny5

Good luck with the creation of your set.

David

Hey everyone! Figured an update was in store of how my search is going.
I'm now diving in to the ceramic world, and have had a tough time figuring out what to go with. I've reached out to GOCC for a sample set and got samples from CPC coming in. My main question with ceramics is, how do I design these chips? Is there a similar tool like the CPC design website?

Well, you've got complete freedom to do what you want with a ceramic chip. I thought you already had your mockups like you posted above? Anyway, I second the suggestion to look at Old West Poker Supplies. I basically taught myself to use Adobe Illustrator when I was designing my own ceramic set, and the website shows you all the dimensions you need including the face, rolling edge, and even the CMYK colour codes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom