Lightning Strikes (12 Viewers)

New York Thugs. What a bunch of cheap-shot losers.
Lol.

We're the Saints, remember.

I do believe the Lightning were the most-penalized team in the league this year.

And let's not forget Kucherov's slash last year...

It's a physical sport, moreso in the playoffs... If you don't want contact, watch another sport.

Slamming a player in the back with your stick away from the play and intending to do damage isn't sport, it's assault.

If by resilient you are referring to Scott Mayfield cross checking Nikita Kucherov causing an injury that forced him to leave the game after his first shift, then yes, the Islanders are resilient.

Maybe you are referring to Mayfield's cross check on Steven Stamkos at the end of the 2nd period which forced his head into the boards drawing blood ?

Or perhaps Mat Barzal was being resilient by hooking Alex Killorn to create space for Jordan Eberle's goal or when he cross checked Jan Rutta in the face resulting in a game misconduct and a $5000 fine.

I prefer to think that they are just dirty instead of resilient and willing to do anything to win, including crossing the line. Yes, hockey is a contact sport but the intent should not be injury. I have no problem with physical contact within the rules and during play.

Slamming a player in the back with your stick away from the play and intending to do damage isn't sport, it's assault.

It's not a criminal assault. You're being dramatic. But if you want to go there, Kucherov's slash on Barzal is assault too. And Brock Nelson got cross-checked in the face in Game 5's blowout (no call, and no ejection because he didn't flop like Rutta).

I'm not saying the Isles haven't been physical, but to call them Thugs is laughable, given the way the Lightning have played the series, the season, and/or the matchups with the Islanders in recent years.

It's not a criminal assault. You're being dramatic. But if you want to go there, Kucherov's slash on Barzal is assault too. And Brock Nelson got cross-checked in the face in Game 5's blowout (no call, and no ejection because he didn't flop like Rutta).

I'm not saying the Isles haven't been physical, but to call them Thugs is laughable, given the way the Lightning have played the series, the season, and/or the matchups with the Islanders in recent years.

I do not think it is assault either - I believe you were replying to BGinGA. I do believe Mayfield's cross check on Kucherov was deliberate with intent to cause injury. Kucherov is no saint - his slashes have also crossed the line. I believe Barzal's cross check to Rutta's face was unintentional - not the cross check itself, but the location. I would just like to see the best players on the ice and not removed by an injury not related to an actual hockey play but from a dirty incident.

Seriously? We're gonna complain about dirty play?! Is it that you guys just don't like it when it's done to you?

Here's regular season PIM stats:

Screenshot_20210625-090434.png
Screenshot_20210625-090506.png

You want just Playoffs?

Screenshot_20210625-090801.png

It's more misleading, because it's fewer teams and not everyone plays the same number of games, but there is Tampa, top of the list again.

Mark and I were having a spirited back-and-forth, rooting for our teams, maybe ribbing the other side a little, and the Dave just walks in and shits all over everything and the discussion devolves from there.

This is the last I'll say on the refs, the penalties, the non-calls. Reffing in general has been horrendous for this series, IMO (why is Wes McCauley at home, not working either series?!). When refs don't make calls, the players are more physical and the game gets out of hand. But the most-penalized team, regular season and playoffs, calling *anyone* thugs is just laughable.

Good luck tonight, Mark. I'll send you chips win or lose.

Last edited:
Most of those penalty minutes, at least in the playoffs, were from the Florida series - a lot of 10 minute majors for fighting at the end of the games. I agree that the refs failing to call penalties causes physical play to escalate.

Good luck tonight too. I hope Kucherov is OK to play and the result of the game is due to the best play, not an egregious penalty or missed call.

Game 7's are awesome :)

I hope Kucherov is OK
Me too.

Not after this game, right now, before the game. If we are gonna be the best, we have to beat the best. I don't want to beat the best down one of their top three players, I want to beat them full strength.

Cooper is a sneaky fuck (I say that with respect), and I wouldn't put it past him to hide Kuch's status until game time. No way Kucherov leaves game 6 as part of some master plan, tho, he had to be hurt. He's a Grade A set-up man...I hope he plays.

The line on the game is suspiciously low. TB has been -190 at home and are sitting at -160. Why ? I played over 5 goals, but am wary that an automatic bet like TB off a loss looks way too good to be true at -160. Something is up

I think he will play. He’s tough and it’s game 7. Meanwhile we have pussies coming out of game with a no hitter going because they threw 100 pitches. Sad.

I'm going on record now to say that Tampa is the better team, top to bottom (they should be...the only time this playoffs that they've been under the salary cap was when Kucherov's took himself off the ice ).

But the Islanders are good too. In a Game 7, anything can happen.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddd I'm backkkkk

Game 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plot twist.... winner of TB-NYI has to play a best of 3 against TEAM NINTENDO!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom