Lightning Strikes (4 Viewers)

I'm very indifferent to Hockey right now. I like the idea of Hockey, but I have no dog in the fight so whatever.... BUT when we have our yet to be named expansion team, I could see myself getting into it.

My point is only that they are getting on board at the ground level. It's not like they are suddenly Patriots fans (thank God!). :)

I'm very indifferent to Hockey right now. I like the idea of Hockey, but I have no dog in the fight so whatever.... BUT when we have our yet to be named expansion team, I could see myself getting into it.

My point is only that they are getting on board at the ground level. It's not like they are suddenly Patriots fans (thank God!). :)

Good thing for you is you guys should be in the cup final in 2020.

Good thing for you is you guys should be in the cup final in 2020.

Dude... We are in Seattle. We average a Championship once every 30 years! We just nabbed Super Bowl 48, so I figure the Hockey team will be due in about 2045 or so.

Right now, we are pretty pumped that the Mariners are not already mathematically eliminated from the MLB playoffs yet. It's just the life we live up here.

Dude... We are in Seattle. We average a Championship once every 30 years! We just nabbed Super Bowl 48, so I figure the Hockey team will be due in about 2045 or so.

Right now, we are pretty pumped that the Mariners are not already mathematically eliminated from the MLB playoffs yet. It's just the life we live up here.

Just making a play off the expansion rules. You guys should have a pretty good team right off the bat.

Just making a play off the expansion rules. You guys should have a pretty good team right off the bat.

Seriously. The perks given to building a modern expansion NHL team means that unless you hire blithering idiots to run the front office and coach the roster, you should compete immediately AND be set for a few years upcoming with picks.

Seriously. The perks given to building a modern expansion NHL team means that unless you hire blithering idiots to run the front office and coach the roster, you should compete immediately AND be set for a few years upcoming with picks.

What does the NHL do differently than other sports in making expansion teams quickly competitive?

What does the NHL do differently than other sports in making expansion teams quickly competitive?

For the 2017 expansion, any existing NHL team could protect either one goalie, seven forwards and three defensemen or one goalie and eight skaters of any position. Additionally, two forwards and one defenseman per team who have played a minimum of forty games in the previous season were exposed. Meaning an integral three skaters became available for poaching. The best #2 goalie in the NHL was Fleury, who is a freakishly outstanding goalie (with a history of injuries). Fleury was key to the Penguins Cup win last year. He is on track top be instrumental to a Cup again this year.

No other league (and previous to 2017 neither did the NHL) allows a team to basically build a team from all top 10% players. Sure, they didn't get the top 1-5%, but if they weren't getting the cream, they were still getting half-and-half.

After that, the team has been well managed from ownership down to coaching. Astute changes have been made through the season, which is easier to do when the fan base isn't invested in any single player.

Let's Go Bolts - time to finish off the Capitals :cool:

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 7.17.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 7.16.26 PM.png

For the 2017 expansion, any existing NHL team could protect either one goalie, seven forwards and three defensemen or one goalie and eight skaters of any position. Additionally, two forwards and one defenseman per team who have played a minimum of forty games in the previous season were exposed. Meaning an integral three skaters became available for poaching. The best #2 goalie in the NHL was Fleury, who is a freakishly outstanding goalie (with a history of injuries). Fleury was key to the Penguins Cup win last year. He is on track top be instrumental to a Cup again this year.

No other league (and previous to 2017 neither did the NHL) allows a team to basically build a team from all top 10% players. Sure, they didn't get the top 1-5%, but if they weren't getting the cream, they were still getting half-and-half.

After that, the team has been well managed from ownership down to coaching. Astute changes have been made through the season, which is easier to do when the fan base isn't invested in any single player.

Vegas have great people in the front office, but the roster is hardly a who's who of talent. Turn that draft listing around. Teams were able to protect their #1 goalie, their top two lines (+1), and their top 3 defenceman. So, in essence, Vegas is populated with a bunch of third liners as forwards, and bottom half defence pairings, playing in front of a back-up goalie.

Admittedly, Fleury and Neal at aberrations due to circumstance, but still . . . there was not a huge amount of talent being siphoned away.

Wow. I don’t want to say that it cheapens a possible title but it makes winning in your expansion at least possible, versus having to put your time in via free agency and draft in other sports.

It doesn't cheapen anything they have accomplished. no one . . . NO ONE was predicting Vegas to have the success they have enjoyed. Do some google searching . . . Several Vega bookmakers are set to take a bath of almost Leicester City proportions if Vegas actually win the Cup. Odds of anywhere between 300 - 500/1 are on tickets that are still "live". the only thing keeping it from being worse, according to some insiders, IS the Leicester City miracle itself. Books are loathe to make such long odds available.

Definitely doesn’t cheapen anything about their run. I’m predicting a Cup win too. Highly entertaining in everything they’ve done nightly to this point.

Nothing is cheapened about this. To take this roster, who had not played together before this year, get them all to buy into a system and play as one, then add the right pieces through the year. It is a major accomplishment by the team leadership.

I’m just saying - it helps a lot when all the pieces can be put into place in season 1 instead of having to enact a multi-season plan to acquire, draft, and grow talent like expansion teams in other sports.

I heard about 500-1 odds to win the Cup earlier in the year. Sadly none of my friends in Vegas believed enough to drop a dime on it before the season started.

Good luck tonight! As a Wings fan, I'd love to see Stevey Y raise lord Stanley again. I'd also like to see OV get his. And the Vegas run is nothing but incredible. (Just wish they would quit scratching Tatar....lol.)
My teams out, so I just wanna see some good hockey tonight and here on out. So like I said, good luck!

Just settling in to watch Game 7 and wanted to wish you luck, @k9dr.

I'm going to enjoy the game either way... You, you'll be in the edge until it's over...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom