Lightning Strikes (4 Viewers)

Score early - score often
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429996996.282528.jpg

Summer hockey is stupid. Once the Stanley Cup started ending in June I completely lost interest. It's baseball/golf season!

My kid was 10 years old before he saw his first Leafs playoffs game - because there weren't any. They are so terrible they can't even lose properly and win the McDavid lottery.

I asked my kid what was his favourite NHL team and he mentioned two other teams before the Leafs.

I've actually been to a Tbay playoff game. It was cheaper to buy airline tickets and fly down than to try and get Leafs playoff tickets. Of course the Tbay game wasn't sold out because hockey in hot states is stupid.

Damn my radar is in lag mode. Maybe hockey is ok after all.

My kid was 10 years old before he saw his first Leafs playoffs game - because there weren't any. They are so terrible they can't even lose properly and win the McDavid lottery.

I asked my kid what was his favourite NHL team and he mentioned two other teams before the Leafs.

I've actually been to a Tbay playoff game. It was cheaper to buy airline tickets and fly down than to try and get Leafs playoff tickets. Of course the Tbay game wasn't sold out because hockey in hot states is stupid.

Hey, no fair editing after I like it. Every TB playoff game has been a sellout. We sell out > 98% of our regular season games.

I appreciate that you are a passionate Lightning fan. Is now a bad time to say that I root for the Chicken Wings?

Orly?

By all accounts, the Lightning's plunge to the bottom of the NHL was due to the way Kokusai Green ran the team. Rumors abounded as early as the team's second season that the Lightning were on the brink ofbankruptcy and that the team was part of a money laundering scheme for the yakuza (Japanese crime families).[7] Its scouting operation consisted of Tony Esposito and several satellite dishes. The Internal Revenue Service investigated the team in 1994 and 1995, and nearly slapped a lien on the team for $750,000 in back taxes. The situation led longtime NHL broadcaster and writer Stan Fischler to call the Lightning a "skating vaudeville show."[8]

Even in their first playoff season, the team was awash in red ink and Kokusai Green was looking to sell at any price.

Forbes wrote an article in late 1997 calling the Lightning a financial nightmare, with a debt equal to a staggering 236% of its value—the highest of any major North American sports franchise. Even though the Ice Palace was built for hockey and the Lightning were the only major tenant, Forbes called the team's deal with the arena a lemon since it would not result in much revenue for 30 years. It was also behind on paying state sales taxes and federal payroll taxes.

That last game sucked. I have 250 on Lightning for this series so I'm rooting hard for a miracle 2-0 in the next couple games. Game 7 is inevitable.

Poker sorry for the loss Mark...

The Lighting had everything to win the series (before it started and again after game 4) and now it will be super tough imo... Yesterday's game the Wings just wanted more... I'm curious to see how TB is gonna react at The Joe tomorrow facing elimination...

I'm sure it will be a GREAT game...

I truly hope the NHL takes some supplemental discipline on Kronwall for the cheap head shot on Kucherov - he launched off his feet and hit him directly in the head. I simply do not understand how the refs can fail to call a penalty on that play.

Last edited:
I will say what I say in poker tournaments - good luck all in :rolleyes: I'm sure we both know that statement lacks at least a little sincerity :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom