Let's see your LGK (Large Key / SuperGem) Pr0n!! (1 Viewer)

That is why I ask before I do. Anything else I should watch out for? Warm Dawn water OK? Don't soak too long? I have no idea what I'm doing here. I just want cleaner chips.
Here are the results of my first cleaning experiment. A 5 minute soak in warm Dawn dishwater, then a light scrubbing with a soft toothbrush.

I went through a random barrel of the 50 cents chips, probably the dirtiest and most worn in the set. I picked out the 10 dirtiest from the barrel and cleaned them as outlined above. I didn't think to take a before pic, but here is the after pic. The chips on the left are the ones I cleaned and the chips on the right were a little less dirty and have not been cleaned. They are now close to the same, but the cleaned chips still have lots of black in the embossed key mold grooves. Also, I think there was a little damage done to the inlay of a couple of the chips cleaned. Note the one at the bottom of the third column - that yellow area in the center of the inlay.

With a 5 minute soak and about a minute scrubbing each chip, this is looking like a 10-12 hour job if I do this with every chip. And I am not really satisfied with the results. I think I'm going to need to invest in an Ultrasonic...

20210619_131643.jpg

So jealous of your 25c chips, been looking for them. The non tsp in the ultrasonic worked for me to get a lot of the grunge out.

Attachments

• 20190825_184007.jpg
    20190825_184007.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190825_143753.jpg
    20190825_143753.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190824_193734.jpg
    20190824_193734.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20200703_000053.jpg
    20200703_000053.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 76
So jealous of your 25c chips, been looking for them. The non tsp in the ultrasonic worked for me to get a lot of the grunge out.
What is non tsp? I thought with an ultrasonic that you wanted to use tsp.

I an not sure what version of tsp he used, the ludmark sodium metasilicate worked well for me on the dragonara. I also soaked them for 5+ min in warm water then 2 min (for worst ones) in ultrasonic, then rinse and lay out to dry. I suppose I could try leaving one in for 30 min like he did next time I clean. I have a broken 5£ chip i can toss half in and compare. Probably will be a few weeks, waiting on more dragonara.
I also did not try green chips, maybe the color?

But, safest is to use warm water and toothbrush with dawn, if you have days.
T

I an not sure what version of tsp he used, the ludmark sodium metasilicate worked well for me on the dragonara. I also soaked them for 5+ min in warm water then 2 min (for worst ones) in ultrasonic, then rinse and lay out to dry. I suppose I could try leaving one in for 30 min like he did next time I clean. I have a broken 5£ chip i can toss half in and compare. Probably will be a few weeks, waiting on more dragonara.
I also did not try green chips, maybe the color?

But, safest is to use warm water and toothbrush with dawn, if you have days.
T
So from looking at various posts, sounds like 30 minutes of ultrasonic with TSP may result in significant fading - but NOT total destruction as someone suggested. But 2 minutes should be safe and might do the trick for removing some of the gunk in the key mold crevices.

Someone else was using that "green" cleaner and had some success as well. I think it's not as potent as TSP.

So TSP in not a total NO-NO, but something to do with great caution. Most of my green 25 cent chips are in excellent condition with very little gunk. I think I should be able to do those by hand fairly quickly. Same goes for most of my 10 cent chips.

Unfortunately the bane of LgKey/SuperGems chips is the buildup of grime in the extremely thin mold lines. Really no way to clean that out with an ultrasonic or toothbrush. Only luck I've had with the really dirty LgKey/SuperGems chips is using a very thin pointed dental pick and it is super tedious work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom