KEMs worth $35? (1 Viewer)

I love the feel of Kem cards. They are really like no other. But our group plays jumbo pips, and Kem's jumbo are a little TOO jumbo for me. Also, I hate the warping. I've seen it on some setups I have had, and this really turns me off of them, especially at the price.

I don’t like them. Have owned two set-ups and they all warped.

Desjgn and Angel get my money

I’ve never seen the value, for the premium they cost, against other great cards that are available.

I’ve got a more than a few KEM setups, but they do tend to bow and the ink wears away after only 3-4 uses. Not very impressive in my experience. Sure at first, they feel like the best cards but they don’t make me want to go buy more with the results I’ve had.

I’ve had much better results with Fournier and Angel, and a few others.

For me, nothing beats the overall nature of Desjgn!

It’s all a matter of subjective opinion. Lots of great cards to choose from. There is likely no stopping the price increases for all cards probably.

I like Kem for sentimental/stylistic reasons but they do seem to have the worst shelf life.

My personal favorite setup is the green/burgundy bicycle prestige setup which I believe is Fournier stock.

I usually buy the standard red and blue traditional back but these time I bought some of these to check them out.

79F3AAD8-0550-42EA-9615-79E9665F809D.jpeg

KEM are still my favorite, and most of my group’s favorite too. The dealer button technique really has worked for me, believe it or not. I love Desjgn and Gemaco, but the nostalgia of KEM, and their feel, still does it for me.

I usually buy the standard red and blue traditional back but these time I bought some of these to check them out.

View attachment 887101
How would you say these feel? I’m trying to decide if I should try them out. For reference, here’s an imo on cards:

- the feel of Desjgn and Angel club are pure sex
- Copaqs are way too slippery and feel cheap
- Kems are meh and the warping issue is a complete deal breaker
- Faded spades are stiff as hell, absoluely do not like them
- Josh’s cartamundis are really nice

How would you say these feel? I’m trying to decide if I should try them out. For reference, here’s an imo on cards:

I haven’t tried a lot of cards out there. But KEM are my favorite as far as feel and thickness except for the bending and the ink rubbing off. The Fourniers are the closest to KEMs that I have experienced and they have neither of those problems.

It’s tough to know how to answer you when you say KEMs are meh.

I’d say fourniers feel a lot like KEMS, but a touch stiffer.
They’re a touch flexier and a bit more textured than desJgns. Desjgns are a little slipperier but also a bit smoother.

It’s tough to know how to answer you when you say KEMs are meh.

I’d say fourniers feel a lot like KEMS, but a touch stiffer.
They’re a touch flexier and a bit more textured than desJgns. Desjgns are a little slipperier but also a bit smoother.
Thanks! Sounds like it would be worth a try at least

I’ve never seen the value, for the premium they cost, against other great cards that are available.

I’ve got a more than a few KEM setups, but they do tend to bow and the ink wears away after only 3-4 uses. Not very impressive in my experience. Sure at first, they feel like the best cards but they don’t make me want to go buy more with the results I’ve had.

I’ve had much better results with Fournier and Angel, and a few others.

For me, nothing beats the overall nature of Desjgn!

It’s all a matter of subjective opinion. Lots of great cards to choose from. There is likely no stopping the price increases for all cards probably.
I have to reply to that.... Propobly for the last time as this conversation comes to hunt my ass over and over...
When starting playing poker first thing yo do is to learn how to shuffle your chips because it's cool and you look more seasoned... Than you buy nice chips and cards...
I bought Modiano Old Trophy as they were only plastic available in Poland. I wasn't completely satisfied with them (standard index, wearing off ink and bowing) but they were nice upgrade from paper cards.
Later I saw Rounders and just had to have Arrow Kem... Still have this set, after over four years of extensive play a little bowed and rubbery but never lost ink on any side.
Later I found a guy on eBay who sold me over 30ty sets of bridge jumbo circleback. Best cards I ever had, no bowing, no wear off, no fuss. I could even clean them in the washing machine. They served well.

Maybe the Great White North is a harsh mistress but I never experienced mentioned above problems.
If you have thes decks I would like to see their backs and know year of production... There must be some explanation to this mistery.

I have to reply to that.... Propobly for the last time as this conversation comes to hunt my ass over and over...
When starting playing poker first thing yo do is to learn how to shuffle your chips because it's cool and you look more seasoned... Than you buy nice chips and cards...
I bought Modiano Old Trophy as they were only plastic available in Poland. I wasn't completely satisfied with them (standard index, wearing off ink and bowing) but they were nice upgrade from paper cards.
Later I saw Rounders and just had to have Arrow Kem... Still have this set, after over four years of extensive play a little bowed and rubbery but never lost ink on any side.
Later I found a guy on eBay who sold me over 30ty sets of bridge jumbo circleback. Best cards I ever had, no bowing, no wear off, no fuss. I could even clean them in the washing machine. They served well.

Maybe the Great White North is a harsh mistress but I never experienced mentioned above problems.
If you have thes decks I would like to see their backs and know year of production... There must be some explanation to this mistery.
Well, the decks I’ve tossed are tossed. I’ve never used a deck that has what I consider an issue. Issue is observed during play, and tossed during play. I don’t feel any need to keep them or photograph their defects. Perhaps I should be…

I can however, pull out all what KEM I have still. This setup of poker size, was purchased as a pair of setups. Here is the other setup…
image.jpg

image.jpg

I also have one deck left from a bridge size setup of KEM, here is another pic, although I’m unsure there is any information that is helpful on the card. These have remained unopened on the count of having way more other better (my own opinion ) cards to play with. I’ve got many many brands.

image.jpg

EDIT : it’s worth mentioning I live in a centrally Air-Conditioned home and these cards have never been exposed to hazardous conditions such as cold or heat. At least not since taking ownership. It’s tough to know what hell they may have been through to reach the shelf I grabbed from …

Last edited:
You will see, they are beautiful :love: but the colors can be confused. The red of the index is also brighter.

Attachments

• DD8524B5-2140-492A-B34D-A7DCD90D74A2.jpeg
    DD8524B5-2140-492A-B34D-A7DCD90D74A2.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 76
  • BE06C25A-25E1-4EAD-88A6-581309B70B8B.jpeg
    BE06C25A-25E1-4EAD-88A6-581309B70B8B.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 79

View attachment 887101
They look nice, I just placed an order for 2 set up for it. Although I had a few set up of Fournier standard index deck

Estimated date to arrive Singapore are 25 Apr, will take quite a few weeks

In my opinion Kem cards are the only cards for poker. Gemacos are nice, Copags are a cheap (and cheaply made) alternative, but nothing comes close to Kem cards. Haven't used any yet, but I hear Dal Negros are pretty good too.

Got the cards in the mail. I think they great cards. I haven’t done any official testing but I am going to say they are better than the normal retail KEM cards. It seems like they have a little bit more of a snap and aren’t as flimsy. The regular retail KEMs are way too flimsy for me. They are from 2006 and did come with some slight bowing but not a big deal. None of my players will ever notice as it’s ever so slight. Thanks for everyone’s feedback and opinions in this thread. You guys are awesome!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom