Tourney Keeping tourneys social / chatty into freezeout period? (1 Viewer)

Larold

Pair
Reaction score
This is probably common across most home tourneys - the conversation in my tourneys tends to quiet down / dry up a little bit (or a lot, if the prize pool is big) as soon as the freeze-out period starts.

I'm at an age now where, while I thoroughly enjoy the poker, the comradery is equally important to me. I've stolen some ideas from other threads in the forum, and here are ways I've come up with to attempt to keep things social and the room(s) buzzing for the whole event.

- Offer side games, with equipment and tables set up ahead of time. (I don't know why, but I always have trouble getting enough interest for critical mass. I'm even considering offering a small cash incentive for people who bust early to get a game rolling. Perhaps because of the age the crowd is - energy, kid obligations / babysitters back home needing to leave, etc.)
- Get folks to bring drinks, particularly booze
- Social breaks. If the window is long enough, maybe a meal break with chatting. (But this doesn't directly address the before-rebuys -> freezeout transition.)
- Flatter payout structure
- Chatting non-poker with the folks around me even after the freezeout to keep some kind of conversation in the air.
- Have non-obtrusive peppy music in the background. Maybe if there's some good game on people are interested in, get a big TV in the room. (Never tried this.)

So my questions would be:
- What do you think of the effectiveness of any of these ideas?
- What have you tried that works successfully that's not already on this list?

Thanks!

Why are they going quiet? How far into your tournament is the freezeout? A lot of your options seem to be about relieving tension but it may just be that your players are tired after all that poker playing? They may not be grinders, I'm just projecting my situation onto yours though. The beginning of mine, there's that excitement but that dies down after the first few hours. Breaks definitely help, get some food and drink in them. My 2nd or 3rd break is usually twice as long, relaxes people and turn the music up for a little bit.

Might be misreading the situation. Music always helps, and I usually chirp at a buddy at the other table because he's an ape and can't read his cards let alone figure out what anyone else has.

Why are they going quiet? How far into your tournament is the freezeout? A lot of your options seem to be about relieving tension but it may just be that your players are tired after all that poker playing?
Good thinking but turns out fatigue isn't it. They're still very bright, alert, following the action, not slumped in their chairs. The freezeout start time varies, usually 1-2 hours into play. And I'm not saying everyone goes totally quiet; it's just... a noticeable drop. I miss the hum and buzz from the rooms.

They may not be grinders, I'm just projecting my situation onto yours though. The beginning of mine, there's that excitement but that dies down after the first few hours. Breaks definitely help, get some food and drink in them. My 2nd or 3rd break is usually twice as long, relaxes people and turn the music up for a little bit.
Agreed. Now that I can afford it, I'm starting to provide (reasonably-priced) dinner if people BYOB and leave the extra for me. :)

Might be misreading the situation. Music always helps, and I usually chirp at a buddy at the other table because he's an ape and can't read his cards let alone figure out what anyone else has.
Thanks for the input!

Do you have music playing? My games always feel a little weird when the music is off, even if it wasn't that loud. Breaks and/or some sports on the TV (if your players are into that) on mute aren't bad ideas either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom