James Bond Poker Set (1 Viewer)

Comes down to personal preference and budget. I’m sure by the time I finish typing this others will have chimed in as well.

I’ve had all 3 in my hands. The following represents either my personal opinions or what I’ve read here.

BCC- Pros: cheaper price per chip and generally easier to find. Cons: lighter, not the same hand feel/sound, not paulson, chips are subject to typical BCC production issues- variance in inlay shape and chip color. Story: I got these here and quickly moved them.

CDI 05- Pros: slightly cheaper and more available than CDI98. Cons: not leaded and some people really dislike the house mold. Story: I had a set before joining PCF. Didn’t mind the house mold, but since selling these and getting CDI98 there’s no question in my mind which I prefer.

CDI 98- Pros: leaded, textured inlays, genuine paulsons. Cons: price, not easy to find some denoms ($5, frac, 1k), color variance on the $5s that could lead you to buy for example 6 racks to assemble 3 racks of more uniform color. Story: assembled a set here and have never looked back even though some denoms shine brighter than others. I wouldn’t recommend trying to start a CDI98 set piecemeal until you at least have your workhorse chip in hand. The relative lack of $5s (in the condition you want them) has stopped some sets in their tracks.

Hope this helps.

Comes down to personal preference and budget. I’m sure by the time I finish typing this others will have chimed in as well.

I’ve had all 3 in my hands. The following represents either my personal opinions or what I’ve read here.

BCC- Pros: cheaper price per chip and generally easier to find. Cons: lighter, not the same hand feel/sound, not paulson, chips are subject to typical BCC production issues- variance in inlay shape and chip color. Story: I got these here and quickly moved them.

CDI 05- Pros: slightly cheaper and more available than CDI98. Cons: not leaded and some people really dislike the house mold. Story: I had a set before joining PCF. Didn’t mind the house mold, but since selling these and getting CDI98 there’s no question in my mind which I prefer.

CDI 98- Pros: leaded, textured inlays, genuine paulsons. Cons: price, not easy to find some denoms ($5, frac, 1k), color variance on the $5s that could lead you to buy for example 6 racks to assemble 3 racks of more uniform color. Story: assembled a set here and have never looked back even though some denoms shine brighter than others. I wouldn’t recommend trying to start a CDI98 set piecemeal until you at least have your workhorse chip in hand. The relative lack of $5s (in the condition you want them) has stopped some sets in their tracks.

Hope this helps.
@DirtyTIVA I really appreciate your response! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am finally getting into making my first real chip set investment and I was leaning toward CDI 98, but it seems like I will be priced out/will have hard time completing a set. So may have to settle for the CDI 05s. Never thought I would ever have been okay with spending $1-3k on poker chips, but here I am... haha

Really appreciate the help!

This thread needs some pics though.

1674851246442.jpeg

1674851274593.jpeg

Maybe @Pinkdan can share a BCC pic?

Hope this helps.
Agree with all of this.

And now, some pics

(my custom frac and $20)
IMG_7802.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG
68532963385__6247D5FD-42BD-43EB-9CAD-131A4AF01CF4.JPG

Paulsons are overrated. Yes, they may be the objectively superior chip but you’re certainly paying for the difference. I have owned Paulson CDI 05s as well as leaded THC sets other than the CDIs. Fwiw the BCC CDIs are the only ones of those still with me

DC029348-4EB1-4501-88F5-DFC0D52DB790.jpeg
FF474E77-5762-49A8-9779-9068BC0F490B.jpeg
B51F43FD-2894-4BFD-8CD6-EA4ECFA38314.jpeg
5C4A122F-DF1B-48C1-9910-E9E021EE4F79.jpeg

Last edited:
Paulsons are overrated. Yes, they may be the objectively superior chip but you’re certainly paying for the difference. I have owned Paulson CDI 05s as well as leaded THC sets other than the CDIs. Fwiw the BCC CDIs are the only ones of those still with me

View attachment 1067717View attachment 1067718View attachment 1067719View attachment 1067720
Thanks for the feedback! The BCCs still look great. Thanks!

If you don't compare them, and just buy the BCCs, you will be undoubtedly happy. If you get the leaded Paulson's in your hand, game over. It was for me.
Haha, thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it--I feel like I would feel the same way. This was really helpful!

View attachment 1067717View attachment 1067718View attachment 1067719View attachment 1067720
I’m actually with @Eriks on this one. I’ve owned all three variations of CDI’s and while I liked them all my order might surprise you. BCC > 05 > 98

There’s just something about the BCCs, they’re quirky and different, surprisingly nice to play with and shuffle. I enjoy the BCC sound as well. I chose to have one BCC set and this one won.

Best of luck. Maybe get a shuffle stack of each and or a sample set before making a big purchase

I’m actually with @Eriks on this one. I’ve owned all three variations of CDI’s and while I liked them all my order might surprise you. BCC > 05 > 98

There’s just something about the BCCs, they’re quirky and different, surprisingly nice to play with and shuffle. I enjoy the BCC sound as well. I chose to have one BCC set and this one won.

Best of luck. Maybe get a shuffle stack of each and or a sample set before making a big purchase
You have me thinking of just pulling the trigger on these BCCs now... haha. By any chance do you know the weight differential of the chips?

You have me thinking of just pulling the trigger on these BCCs now... haha. By any chance do you know the weight differential of the chips?
Can’t say about the 98s but here are 10 BCCs vs 10 other leaded THCs

21169F4D-D091-4536-80A2-FDB27C6D1FD5.jpeg
18BA50D9-5D63-4350-853E-6EB6588B707F.jpeg

BCCS feel significantly lighter. They also have a different sound when shuffling. I like the sound as silly as that is, but the weight of the Paulsons is fantastic!

i got a semi after all those pics

Attachments

• IMG_20230102_105841_resized_20230102_033225204.jpg
    IMG_20230102_105841_resized_20230102_033225204.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 61

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom