Is this worth fixing? (1 Viewer)

kaysirtap

High Hand
Reaction score
I have a couple like this, but this is the worst one. Can it even be fixed with flattening?

Attachments

• IMG_6683.jpg
    IMG_6683.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_6684.jpg
    IMG_6684.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6685.jpg
    IMG_6685.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 230
Your best bet is to heat it up and clamp with a 43mm blank and possibly sand off the excess, but it's probably not going to be pretty and definitely not going to be perfect.

Ok…so let’s talk numbers here..

Are you a ‘couple = 2’ person or a ‘couple = xxx’ :)

Is that a single chip or few you need to replace? If so, you can probably do so for a few dollars in the classifieds. If you have 100 that need to be fixed, a much larger problem?

No :( won't look the same, hotstamp will be funky, won't sit right with the others. I'd buy them off you for my cigar set but wouldn't fit in a regular rack.
It actually does fit in my acrylic racks without a problem. I forget who made the racks; might have been Paulson as well. If not, it's the same style.
What the heck happened to that chip?
Yeah, have no idea.
Ok…so let’s talk numbers here..

Are you a ‘couple = 2’ person or a ‘couple = xxx’ :)

Is that a single chip or few you need to replace? If so, you can probably do so for a few dollars in the classifieds. If you have 100 that need to be fixed, a much larger problem?
Literally two. The other one is barely noticeable in my opinion on it's own, but you would notice it when they're stacked. I only have 40 white out of the 100 starburst total and I was getting ready to let them go anyway, so I won't be replacing them. Meanwhile, I see some others have gone through other types of trauma. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_6686.JPG
    IMG_6686.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6687.JPG
    IMG_6687.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 111
It actually does fit in my acrylic racks without a problem. I forget who made the racks; might have been Paulson as well. If not, it's the same style.

Yeah, have no idea.

Literally two. The other one is barely noticeable in my opinion on it's own, but you would notice it when they're stacked. I only have 40 white out of the 100 starburst total and I was getting ready to let them go anyway, so I won't be replacing them. Meanwhile, I see some others have gone through other types of trauma. Lol
This is like the poker chip equivalent of those sad-eyed dogs aspca/humane society ads.

Please, just take my money so I feel like these kinds of things will never happen again!

(Extra points to someone who does a montage of these types of pics with "Angel" as the soundtrack.)

whatever happened, that's pretty cool - i wouldn't fix it on principle

OK so I thought this would be a good place to bring this up. I'm trying a new thing using my hot car. Lol. I have a few warped chips. I put them between ceramics, applied some pressure using a clamp, and left it in my car all day. I think the temp probably got up to about 120 in the car. Maybe more. Once it cools off I'll open it up and see how flat they got. I would try this on that one. It would take a few times to get it flat as that disfigurement is pretty prominent. That's only assuming the chip would get soft enough. My case is more about relieving intrinsic forces.

OK so I thought this would be a good place to bring this up. I'm trying a new thing using my hot car. Lol. I have a few warped chips. I put them between ceramics, applied some pressure using a clamp, and left it in my car all day. I think the temp probably got up to about 120 in the car. Maybe more. Once it cools off I'll open it up and see how flat they got. I would try this on that one. It would take a few times to get it flat as that disfigurement is pretty prominent. That's only assuming the chip would get soft enough. My case is more about relieving intrinsic forces.
Holy efff. It worked perfectly!!!!! Check out the treated compared to non treated, also compared to a sharp flat barrel of orange I just received. Noice!!!!

Attachments

• 20230907_182048.jpg
    20230907_182048.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230907_182158.jpg
    20230907_182158.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230907_182248.jpg
    20230907_182248.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
There is discussion of this practice elsewhere on PCF.

Don't leave the clamped chips exposed to direct sunlight in the car; it can cause UV damage to colors and makes it difficult to regulate uniform temperature across all chips. Best bet is wrapped in a blanket, and still avoiding direct sun on the package.

I'd try sanding it down. If it looks terrible when it's done just cry and toss it.

The one thing to note is that too much of a combo of heat, pressure and time can cause…what one member called “waistbanding”. It’s a perfect term for when the outer edges squish out wider than the middle, and caused by being too aggressive with the procedure.
Let’s be careful out there!
IMG_4975.jpeg

The one thing to note is that too much of a combo of heat, pressure and time can cause…what one member called “waistbanding”. It’s a perfect term for when the outer edges squish out wider than the middle, and caused by being too aggressive with the procedure.
Let’s be careful out there!
View attachment 1199237
I think those are my chips. I received two like this out of the bunch. I gather the sale was possibly motivated by unsuccessful flattening. I'll post pics of them when I get back to my dungeon. This is why I personally recommend low heat and a longer process. Take your time and get it right. :)

It can also happen during manufacture (or in transit). My CPC Rounders has a bunch with very slight waistbanding, moreso on the $1,000 chips

I think those are my chips. I received two like this out of the bunch. I gather the sale was possibly motivated by unsuccessful flattening. I'll post pics of them when I get back to my dungeon. This is why I personally recommend low heat and a longer process. Take your time and get it right. :)
I received these like this. Most of the lot was warped. They are nearly perfectly flat now. These I didn't bother with since they are already damaged.

Attachments

• 20230923_180133.jpg
    20230923_180133.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230923_180210.jpg
    20230923_180210.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 51

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom