Is there a way to make playing cards less slippery? (6 Viewers)

JJsizlr74

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been dealt with in another thread previously, but just curious… is anyone familiar with any technique that would make playing cards less slippery? On my general internet search most of what I found is on forums for magic tricks involving playing cards. This seems like something someone on this site would have looked into it some point. I have a deck of faded spade V2.0… I love the look of the cards and everything but they are so damn slippery that I think they’re basically unusable. Some of the ideas I saw on the other forums included things like putting them in the freeze (!?), dusting them with something called “Fanning powder,” or just shuffling the hell out of them (seems like oil from skin would only make them more slippery). I’m skeptical any of those things would actually help and I suspect this is more of a manufacturing thing…like trying to take a glossy print and give it a matte finish after production. It seems like there would be a way to induce grittiness on a very microscopic level without damaging the cards but maybe that’s just not the case.

Faded Spade 2.0's are slippery when shuffling. If they are in great shape, poker sized & green/purple I will take them off your hands for $. My shuffletech loves them...

I have a set of modianos that were so slippery everyone kept dropping them. I probably didn't help them last very long by doing this but atleast they are useable now. I put a hand full of baking soda in a paper bag with the cards, shook it real good. I shuffled them a few times followed by shuffle type washing (not with water) on a clean bath towel multiple times shuffling over and over between washes until all the baking soda was off the cards. Lastly I put a few drops of baby oil on my hands and rubbed in good followed by a new clean towel, multiple washes and shuffles with my oily hands. They actually shuffle really well now. The baking soda did lighten the printing however because it's abrasive. I wonder if baby powder would work too and not quite as abrasive. That's what my grandma used to put on cards to make them shuffle better but I didn't have any on hand.

I've had this problem as well, what I've done in the past is I take some puff and rub on all of the cards and let it setup, then I after a few hours, I'll cut up some strawberries and add a little sugar. I then use an egg beater to really thin it out. take the mix and rub it on the puff to remove it from the cards, after that just a little bit of white vinegar to cut any of the little bits off of the cards.
The Puff I use :
54cc6ffa-bd80-464a-9ed9-2343a358bf5c.92a2eb3c5490944ccbae214bae91d2bc.jpeg

The other option is to get some tac glue and just dump it out and rub it into all of the cards, this is really messy but once you get the glue off they won't be slippery any more.

I think you just need to buy cards that are less slippery.
Plastic cards tend to be slippery but some are much worse than others.

I guess some questions are in order, and, in no particular order.

Is this your first set of plastic cards? Is this the only set you've used? As far as FS cards go, because they're stiffer, they may present as being slicker. Another more pliable card may work better for your group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom